xisto Community
isdrobotica

Which Wireless (modem, Modem/router, Router, Usb Wireless) Works In Ubuntu Wireless working in ubuntu

Ok so maybe we should open a topic about what wireless works in ubuntu I already defined wireless in the name of the topic.And what about giving a solutionIn my case I haveAtheros AR5007 EG wireles network adapterand Modem/Router... it comes with the company its how the name says a modem router double function...Modem/router 2wire Model ST585v6 ThomsonI had no problem with vista, then installed ubuntu and then I read in some other forums that the only hassle with ubuntu is in the wireles drivers..so I have XP now and its perfect.I really liked ubuntu and some other pals have similar problems like me with their wireles in ubuntu...supporters of ubuntu know that this might be a stopping from migrating.I used the lates version of ubuntu.So to get clear this is a post about what wireless doesnt work in ubuntuin the topic title i wrote sub wireles its USBwireles adpters...can you chage mod please

Edited by isdrobotica (see edit history)

Well I know linksys WRT54G V5 works with ubuntu in terms of using a wireless router and I am using Intel PROset for my drivers, I believe, however I was wondering if you cam across this website on how to to get ubuntu working with your set upt.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Try going to the Applications > Add/Remove > System Tools > select: All Available Applications > Hardware Drivers.Add that to your Ubuntu.It tests and configures the Wireless card for your system. The reason many Wireless and Modems/Routers are not included into Ubuntu by default is the Vendor has not released the Software required to run it into the Public Domain. The Licensing Agreement for Ubuntu does not allow them to distribute non-public proprietary software (drivers). If your driver is found to be a proprietary driver, it will prompt you to request the download. Works fine.

I'm running ubuntu on a macbook pro, the airport card didn't work when I first installed it, but after installing madwifi it worked perfectly. I have yet to find a wireless router that is not compatible with my configuration.

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

Well I know linksys WRT54G V5 works with ubuntu in terms of using a wireless router and I am using Intel PROset for my drivers

I understand that not only will the WRT54G work with Ubuntu, but Linux will also work within the WRT54G as well. Apparently you can upload to the RAM disk of the WRT54G and put a subset of Linux tools on it, then you can telnet into the WRT54G and use the Linux tools on it....

Upon completion of the installation, you'll be able to telnet into the box and have a system with basic tools such as syslog, httpd (with cgi-bin support), vi, snort, mount, insmod, rmmod, top, grep, ls, ifconfig, iptables, ssh, iptraf etc.

I haven't tried this myself yet (I did a firmware upgrade once to my WRT54G, but haven't played with it much since then, as I need it to be working) but it does sound intriguing. If you have a Linksys WRT54G and are interested in having a go, take a look at this site.

Problem connecting a second router to a DSL 2wire modem routerWhich Wireless (modem, Modem/router, Router, Usb Wireless) Works In UbuntuAbout two days ago everything was great, today we couldn't connect to the internet all. We called ATT and they came in and did a hard reset on the 2wire router. Right after that we couldn't get our second router to connect to the web.( the 2wire rounter is now works fine) I have tried 3 different routers and none will work, but if I connect the linksys rounter to a different dsl modem it work fine. Any ideas?Thanks-reply by helpme