xisto Community
FreedomOverdose

A Debate On Animal Testing

animal testing is wrongA Debate On Animal Testing

I believe animal testing is wrong for many reasons. There are many alternatives for finding new medicines. Some of the animal testers choose to take out their anger on the animals and seem to enjoy swearing and torturing them. They are kept in such terrible condition, eg. monkies kept in thin tubes and restraining chairs. You wouldn't like it if you were drowned, burnt, having acids and poison poured into eyes, skinned alive, electric shocked, mechanically raped etc. The animals do not have a choice in this and so we can not assume that they want to be tortured like this. Animals are dying. One monkey I saw a video about was given the wrong dosage of anesthetics 6 months out of date and then had holes drilled through its skull. Then a something was installed on its head allowing scientists to insert electrodes when neccesary. This is sick and wrong. Please stop now! people say animals rip eachother apart so its ok for us to but I would like to think we are at least a tiny bit more satisfied than the average animal!

I am mostly against animal testing. I think cosmetic research and any kind of test that can be done with a human without inflicting serious harm should be banned. I understand that some things NEED to be tested, like vaccinations, etc. But things like make up, shampoos, etc... can be performed with a human just fine. Pay a few homeless people, or take volunteers from prisons. They will WILLINGLY do it if money or something of want is involved. Now lab mice, they over populate alot, and using them to test VIABLE things that could help us is fine. I read about how research facilities, while providing good conditions for animals MOST of the time, experiment in pretty messed up ways. For example, one facility opens up a dogs chest, places clamps on a artery connected to the heart, sews it back up, then makes it run on a treadmill until it has a heart attack and dies. Others electrically shock them until they have cardiac arrest, then bring it back only to do it ALL OVER AGAIN. That stuff should be banned, as it only proves things we already know, and contributes nothing at the expense of the lives of thousands of animals each year. So as long as it actually HELPS, and it isnt a product, then it should be ok.

<p>I am for it!</p><p>Ever since we find lot's of medicences to cure diffrent kinds of cancer- But if you are not willing to take out a life out of animals just to save your own life, well tough luck, you die and I live! There are two main things that the animals doesn't have what humans got, they are soul and concious. The people who are against it, stop being so emotional! You people eat chickens, well; at a chicken farm the chickens are stuffed and crampy in the cage and then they'll be slaughterd so you can just eat it. This is much worse than animal testing! Just think about it for a momment.</p>

hey u! if u think it is right u must be a heartless cruel woman! and why dont vollunter to be tested on? these poor things are helpless and many ppl do not eat animals and it is wrong to mess with the poor things anyhting u do to them why dont yuo try doing it to yourself!!! i happen to be a huge fan of animals and all u r is heartless and when you do die u will not be in heaven! have nice day animal killer!

I am definitely against animal testing, and can't see how anyone could support it. I've heard horrible stories about rabbits being blinded by shampoos, just so selfish humans can have another brand of hair product. Don't we have enough? I think everyone should make an effort to buy products that are not animal-tested.

You are forgetting the fact that the only reason some of these creatures are alive is because they are bred to be used for animal testing. Without they wouldn't even exist.

WRONG!

Animals will still live and breed without this horrible cause

My thoughts are that, If people do animal testing on a bunch of the same species then eventually that species will die off and leave people that love or had that type of species with a different emotion about animal testing. I personally don't like animal testing because it is very harmful to creatures. :unsure:

I personally think that animal testing should be banned.I feel that testing on animals is damaging the animals organisms. Then it could possibly kill that animal then eventually them types / species of animals will die off. Then if they die off then it might leave people with a different emotion.The animal testing production is a harmful active progress. Animal testing has chemicals that destroy the living organisms inside the animals bodies and breaks down their cells cause of poison and then that animals dies.After the animals die and if they test another or same product on the same type of animal then they repeat it eventually the animal will become extinct.Cosmetics are important to some people. Cosmetics should not be allowed to be tested on animals.

I thought I should make this debate a bit more different:

If you are for animal testing post in blue If you are against animal testing, post in red

Context:

For many centuries people have experimented on animals. There are two main reasons for doing this: first, to find out more about the animals themselves, and, secondly, to test substances and procedures to see if they are harmful (with a view to deciding whether or not they can be used on human beings). In the second category fall cosmetic products as well as medicines and surgical techniques. There is a growing consensus that it is not acceptable to test cosmetic products on animals. This debate is about whether we should experiment on animals for scientific and medical purposes. The debate about the pros and cons of animal experimentation (or 'vivisection') is one that elicits very strong emotions: animal rights activists have resorted to trespass, violence, death threats, and hunger strikes in their single-minded (and sometimes illegal) mission to end this practice.

I don't think that it should be ok to test products on animals. Animals don't get a choice, whereas humans do. Humans can get paid to do it if they want to as well. Animals go blind, some go through severe pain and it would be torture for them. A lot of experiments are tested on animals like rats and mice, rats and mice are nothing like humans! So how do we know that it will have the same effect on people? I think this is not acceptable and it should be stopped.

What are your thoughts?

fyi animals deserve to have rights and not be tested on. you cant try a product on animals for cancer because it wont work. only you can try it on humans

fyi animals deserve to have rights and not be tested on. you cant try a product on animals for cancer because it wont work. only you can try it on humans

Animals do NOT have rights and the actual idea is silly.
1. Rights are balanced with responsibilities. What responsibilities do you plan to impose on animals?
2. Rights are just words unless they are generally acknowledged and agreed.
3. If animals DO have rights then who decides which animals get which rights? Do cockroaches have the 'right to life'? What about bacteria? Or are you just going to give cute animals rights?
4. If animals have rights than conflict with human rights then who wins? Do you let the rights of an animal trump those of a human? If so, under what circumstances? Who decides? You ?

Animals have no rights. WE have a responsibility to animals, but exactly what that is will depend on your own views. You may think that YOU have a responsibility to protect various animals, but you cannot insist that I also share that responsibility - that is something I will decide for myself.

you cant try a product on animals for cancer because it wont work. only you can try it on humans

Err..who told you that? In any clinical trial there is much to do before we get to an efficacy trial (to see if it works). First we have to see if it is relatively safe and what the potential side-effects are. Animals are still the only way of carrying out some of that type of test, before you go to human trials.Animals can also be used to study the mechanisms within and between cells that are pre-malignant. In fact there are plenty of ways in which animal testing is crucial to cancer research.

Have you heard of Tamoxifen? You have if you have had cancer - it is probably the most important anti-cancer treatment in the last century - it also required and got significant amounts of animal trials and testing, without which a HUGE number of people would die much earlier than they now do.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)