xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FreedomOverdose

Polygamy - Legal Or Illegal?

This topic causes many "angry" reactions, believe me. Please let's be cool before debating.I think that it should be legal and should be dealt with responsibly. This does not mean having an orgy with all of your wives. It also does not mean that you can give more attention (money and emotional input&output) in one wife and leave the rest. If this is the case, it should not be done. If a man can not have more then one wife because of his financial status, he should not do it as well. In fact, in some religion(s) and cultures it is prohibited if a man does not have thisThere was a point made that unless it is not a 14 year old girl with a 50 year old man. If a girl reaches maturity by getting her period for the first time, she should be eligible for marriage. However if this is not the case (the woman not being mature and the man is), it is pedophilia. This is in certain cultures and religion(s). However, in the common justice system one is an adult and mature enough at the age of 18. Then she become a 'woman' (sort to speak of). Only then she should be eligible for marriage. This is the case now in most 'modern' country's.As you can see I am constantly referring from a man's perspective. It is not because I am discriminating woman. It is not because I think they are b****** when they have multiple men. It is not because I think the man is superior over the woman. I will explain in a few paragraphs to you why it is better that men should have more wife if it is possible for him and if he is willing to.Studies have shown that there are more woman on the world then men. For everybody to have a partner, this would mean that there will be a lot of woman who do not have a man. If a woman wants a relation with a man, this would mean that the woman are 'forced' to engage a relation with a man, who already has a woman. That or become lesbian and have a relation with someone who can substitute the man. Or (a women greatest nightmare) let the husband cheat his wife by letting him engage in a relationship known as adultery. The woman can be 'pimped' and used as a prostitute if she does not have a partner to take care of. She can be abused to do abnormal things. This does not mean that everyone without a man is doing such things. It means that everyone who has no one to look after her, someone is going to take advantage of her, we live in a cruel world. Then how do you explain the prostitutes and people who have someone (like a husband) to look after her, engaging in such activities? It's simple, they chose for it. No one is engaging in such activities if she has a care husband who takes care of her, who loves her and is willing to do almost everything for her. If she has a father or mother or any other person who can look after her, then she should not fall in such a circuit.Now back to "why the man only?". The man only because there are less man to begin with. And studies have shown that man have such an attitude against woman that they prefer to have more then one partner. So it is basically more lenient towards man, because it (polygamy) respects the social attitude from a man. A woman does not want to have his man lurking around in bars and committing adultery with everyone who passes him. Yet in this legal system, the man is not allowed to marry more then one woman, but have more then thousands and thousands of people who he commits adultery with! Surely a woman wants a man who respect her, instead of having a man who claims to be respecting her but having sex with someone else. The best of humankind is he who respects his wife the most.To create a perfect society, where there would be no alcohol abuse, no gamble abuse, no woman abuse, no [insert abuses left over], everyone needs a partner. However, there is a flaw in this plan. If there are married couples everywhere, why do they have such problems? It is simple, we (a nation) should work together. But for this 'perfect' nation, we need something which will feed us. You know, some people have an empty feeling inside of them. They keep on wondering what it is, and they try all sort of things. Yoga, smoking, weed, exercising, getting drunk, eating, and a lot of other things. Unless the people are fed, they are not going to act complete. It may sound very vague but with complete I mean "life is perfect". When you have acquired this, and truly have this, (because a lot of people claimed to have found happiness but it is a lie - love makes blind for example) you will be a very influential person. And when you are this influential person, a lot want to be like that. Because they too want to be happy in their life. And this go on and on. Imagine that everyone will have this, a perfect society. A lot of woman are literally left over. They have no husband. What to do? It is simple, let them marry another man. A man who can take care of her and respect her and treats her with such love, that she too will feel perfect. This is the goal of polygamy (in certain cultures and religions.)The fact that a lot of people misuse this certain understanding about polygamy, and people look denigrating towards it, is not astonishing at all for me. I too would not find it moral to have more then one wife, if I heard this stories about people having 60 wives and such. It is not moral. I am living in a culture which is based on a certain religion where it is possible to have up to 4 wives.I know only two man who have more then one wife. I never coped with it before. This man takes care of his wife, and does his utmost best to take care of the other. Having two houses for both wives. And he lives in a third one. While he pays everything for the children (by giving financial support to the mothers). And being respectful towards the woman. It was strange for me because I always thought (and forgive me, I was a child who had wild imaginations) that when having more then one wife, you get to get one bed, and a big orgy. But in my religion it is not even permitted. Shocked as I was (not really..) I began to know that it's not so bad after all.Note: Polygamy is not bigamy.Yeah well so to conclude my post, polygamy is ok, but with certain rules to do so. If one could not abide for this rules, he should not do it. The fact I do not conclude with saying that woman should do it too, (having multiple man) is explained above. It should be legal because we live in a nation where it is legal to marry one girl but to commit adultery with a lot more! I do not call this respect towards woman. I call it respectful when you say to another woman; "I love you, but I love this person too, may I marry her?" So yes it should be legal.Sorry if I made mistakes or hurt anyone with this, it was not my intention to do so.p.sI do not want to have more then one wife..I think that one may cause enough headache :) :)

Your argument seems to presuppose that the only way for a woman to be complete, or to feel that her life is perfect, is for her to have a man at her side. Is it not possible for a woman to be complete without a man? Woman are capable of childbearing, yes that is true. But is that their only function on planet Earth? You seem to be mistaking women in general for some form of domesticated farm animal. Women are just as capable of succeeding in life without being married to a man and having his children as they are in a marriage. Your argument also seems to revolve around humankind's purpose as being to populate the planet. Don't we already have a problem with overcrowding and a lack of resources? If today, right now, every single person of marriageable age were to match up and start having children, (even with the left-over women as you say who could not find a mate), what would be the impact on the planet? What would be the impact on, for instance, global warming? What would be the impact on, say, the world's crude oil reserves? Your idea of utopia is flawed, I'm sorry.

Well forget the moral implications of Polygamy, how about the world impact, just imagine 50 wives having 2-3 kids apiece and then increase the number of people who do this at ten times or hundred times that one person. If people were doing this the planet would be over populated and everyone would be a third world country. Besides if you need more that one man or woman to satisfy your sexual needs then you have some serious problems, because in my opinion that is all Polygamy is about, granted their have been rare cases of equal love between spouses but still the emotional abuse alone is what makes Polygamy immoral.

Polygamy is just wrong.Why should a man be allowed to have 3 wives? What does that show to the worth of each wife? Anyway, can you imagine how expensive it is to have multiple wives? That is three times amount of clothes, homes, cars and shopping to pay for!

I think so its personal. If you want to have many... go ahead and have as many as you want. Law? - stop worrying about it... as if everyone holds to it like life. I have to say this... whats happening is polygamy has been made illegal and prostitution has been made legal. Why take the pain of supporting someone when I can go and get what I want so easily without all the hassle. what say?forget about right and wrong. I cant even imagine that this is not happening. Its happening in every damn part of the globe at all scales.

I agree that it should be legalized, atleast in one of the states. I myself have two very loving girlfriends (that both know about each other and spend time together). I think its just unfair that I would have to come to the point that I have to pick one over the other. The fact that crazy people having "camps" and having their young daughter be wed to an older man has soiled what could infact be a good thing for some. America is the land of oppertunitys if I am correct, there is supposed "Freedom", why is it that just cause it offends some religious people should it be banned? As it is I wont be getting married anytime soon.

-reply by Gunzi

Polygamy is just wrong.
Why should a man be allowed to have 3 wives? What does that show to the worth of each wife? Anyway, can you imagine how expensive it is to have multiple wives? That is three times amount of clothes, homes, cars and shopping to pay for!

Who are you to decide what is right and wrong for someone who is not yourself? Polygamy has been around for several millenniums and is still practiced in some cultures in the middle east. I do believe that if polygamy is legalized (I think it should be) we should have some rules, just to make sure that everybody in the deal comes out as happy as possible.

First of all, each wife should know that they are part of the polygamic relationship. So, you would need a special marriage certificate that has signatures of all of the wives and the husband. Also, a rule that is commonly applied in the middle east; you must treat all wives equally. Say, I had two wives and I bought one wife a gold ring, then in the middle east, you would be obligated to buy the other wife a gold ring as well. Also, if the man dies, then the women involved immediately become widows and are now officially single.

That's the most fair way to do it, to make sure that the women don't get their feelings hurt. However, if polygamy is made legal in the United States, it probably won't catch on due to the western culture that we pertain to. Also, I don't think too many women in the U.S. are humble enough to be part of a polygamic relation.

Dear friend of mine I think it should be never promoted more over in many countries it is entirely illegal. I mean to say apart from the first wife others are not having the legal validity or rights over the property etc of the husband. So simultaniously being husband to more than one woman is illegal in our country, and according to our marrieage law.?

Polygamy is not bad if really handled well.if legalised and given strict parameters, it is one way we can really put a stop to couples cheating.But managing a lot of wives takes good responsibility with many people do not have.Whereas it can not be a very good thing..it should not be banned especially if the wives agree to it.