xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wax

Which Is Good Java Or Dot Net which is good

Even though this topic is pretty old I'd like to make some comments myself. First of all now .Net can be used on operating systems other than Windows because of Mono : cross platform open source .Net developing framework. Next... to be on topic ... when it comes to jobs i think it's a matter of choice. There are requirements for both Java and .Net out there.I started out preferring .Net because of Visual Studio... the greatest IDE "alive" in my opinion. But after I've had some fun with .Net I've discovered that for me the richness of open source provided by the Java world was far more tempting. Also as others have stated it's kind of lame of Microsoft to practically copy Java with .Net and C#.Anyway... bottom line... get really good at either of them and you'll find a job any time.Regards,Sebastian

Looking at the current market and the future, it seems that Microsoft is investing into .NET much more than somebody invests in Java, even though it's open source and is like so portable, Java can be headache for newcomers..Java needed to be something very cool, but it still has it's own mistakes, whenever I need to do something with Java, I usually have some sort of problems. Besides, if you're programming with it not the "right" way, you can make your application quite slow.Practically, java servlets are not used anymore if creating something new, some java projects are also not being developed anymore, Oracle bought a lot and doesn't even logically use the products it bought, sometimes it's really a mess. :PAnd as I know MS is investing a lot into Databases, but I would rather see a good alternative to MS, but not Oracle. :angel:

I've to agree with quatrux. .NET is picking up now and C# users are growing. The way Mono ported .NET technology to other platforms is what made the situation interesting. I see a lot of people moving for C# than for java. Ofcourse java is easy and have many advantages. It's just that due to rapid development benefits .NET and it's minion languages are taking over the business.Some of the great ubuntu apps are now written from scratch using C# under mono umbrella. So i expect to see a lot more from C# and Mono. Some failed technologies from java are :- Java FX- Applets- Servlets(jsp)There are very less userbase of these three technologies. You can defend this fact if you wish to. But i see more and more companies and business switching to asp.net. JavaFX failed because of AIR and some other adobe's technologies (that includes flex's release in open source). After taking over by oracle, java development and news seems to be slowed down a bit. And i see .NET taking over on many areas where java used to rule. But still for enterprise apps, java is very good competitor. I'm interested to see how these companies react to HTML5 as silverlight, flash, javafx will have hard time with development as HTML5 allows many of their features in it.

Hi!@Rahul Singh ChouhanIn terms of development of software practically, the Microsoft .NET framework does make development much easier, but in most interviews, all you have to do is answer a series of questions that the interviewer has made up and you land the position. From a theoretical perspective, both Java and .NET are just as easy (or just as difficult, as the case may be depending on your skill level).If you plan on getting a certification, the Java certification from Sun (SCJP - the Sun Certified Java Programmer certification) is simpler than the .NET certification for the primary reason that the Java certification exams are more focused - if you have the experience in a particular area, you can prepare for the exams and get certified while the Microsoft .NET exams for the .NET 2.0 and the .NET 3.5 frameworks cover a wider range.@Avesome observationsThe use of Java for mobile application development is not necessarily an advantage that it has over the Microsoft .NET framework because Microsoft does offer the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework (often referred to as "CF"). Sure, the runtime is different so you would have to re-compile the source code to produce yet another binary, but that doesn't prevent you from using the skills that you have currently have toward mobile application development on the Microsoft .NET framework.I did notice, however, that C/C++ and Java development jobs pay better than Microsoft .NET development jobs, but since Microsoft .NET jobs are available in plenty and the junior positions far outnumber the junior Java developer position, you might want to get started with Microsoft .NET development and then move to Java development as you gain more experience to put down on your resume.@Ho-oh's RealmWith the way current trends in the industry indicate, Microsoft has been pushing the .NET framework way ahead of the Java development framework, but there are programming languages such as Scala and Groovy that are providing alternatives to using the Java programming language while still working on the Java platform. In the short term, Scala and Groovy might create new jobs for Java developers, but the extent of the development of Java itself has not extend by much. In terms of developments to the .NET framework and platform, you can find a lot of changes from the ASP.NET MVC framework to the addition of LINQ and better infrastructure support on the servers making the Microsoft .NET development platform more attractive for organizations.The Microsoft .NET framework may not be a cure-all for all of the world's problems and there have been organizations that did make a shift from the Microsoft .NET platform to the Java platform, but for the most part Microsoft has been able to meet the needs of its direct and indirect customers.@SoundStormAlthough the Microsoft .NET framework can be used on operating systems other than Windows, there still are limitations - not all of the libraries available to .NET developers on the Windows-based Microsoft .NET framework are available to .NET developers on other platforms who use the Mono based framework.The Microsoft Visual Studio integrated development environment is pretty much unrivaled in terms of the features that it provides, but you don't really see most people use them. In web development, we generally have a web designer who uses Adobe Dreamweaver to put together the markup and the cascading style sheets for the website while the developers write up code in either C# or VB.NET using the ASP.NET WebForms or the ASP.NET MVC framework. The WYSIWYG interface provided by Visual Studio lacks when it comes to using cascading style sheet and overriding the web controls to render custom markup. The MVC framework does much better because we no longer have to override the web controls for rendering custom markup because MVC forces developers to use the traditional PHP-style method of development.I've noticed that for senior level positions, there are more jobs for Java than there are for Microsoft .NET, but for most folks out there, finding a job at an entry- or mid-level position is the hard part.@QuatruxOracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems may make things different for Java. The financial backing of Oracle could give Java its second chance when players like Sun Microsystems and IBM have been unable to revive it to stand against the Microsoft .NET framework. At this point, it is very speculative to say anything definite, but we do know that Oracle has got something planned to monetize the products that it has acquired from Sun.@SunnyMThe simplicity of Visual Studio (and not the .NET framework) is what draws developers to .NET development. The drag-and-drop interface that Visual Studio is quite popular for is negatively viewed by organizations that offer lower salaries for .NET positions.

the primary fact is that,JAVA is platform independent.but .NET works only on windows.from this point of view we can clearly choose JAVA.Because all are intrested only on platform independent things.so confidently you can choose JAVA and learn effectively.

In my taste, I would prefer java because I can use java to create flexible programs that can run into browsers, and any kind of Operating System I think? and I know, .net is only designed for Microsoft. vb.net is easy because of its drag and drop function in the compiler, but the more programming language you know, the higher your competency ^_^ and it's better so I suggest learn both

I use both Java and .NET. Both are excellent technologies. If I was to give a disadvantage to each I would say Java's is the sheer number of frameworks you may have to have knowledge of, .NET's disadvantage is evey year Microsoft change what they are doing, Silverlight / MVC 3 which can be annoying just as you reach a good level they change it. Java's advantage is platform maturity and it works really well. .NET's advantage is Visual Studio.Bottom line is a professional has all the tools to do the best job.

well, in my opinion, java is much better than .net and the main reason of my opinion is the maturity..net just copied a lot of ideas from java but java has a more advanced virtual machine.but, if i would guess which is going to be a success in future, i would put my bets on ruby.take a look at it. and one reason to my opinion is that it will have a very advanced virtual machine, powered by old and very mature smalltalk virtual machines!

java is copied from c++