xisto Community
raymond07_ca

Xampp How Can I Generate "automatic Start Sites"

I am new using XAMPP and PHP. I am trying to build website using Joomla which is required my computer to have php. So i installed this XAMPP and install my joomla website. My questions is everytime i type localhost is not going to my joomla website that i built. it always goes to localhost/xampp. i know i have to configure the httpd.conf but i have no idea how to configure this. can anyone help me with this. my website folder called "test". how do i redirect to this test folder so that everytime i type local host it will open the test website. I really appreciate your help.

I replied in the shoutbox too, try renaming the "xampp" folder to "xampp_old" i think it isnt needed and so can be deleted, but rename it first so its easier to recover. remember to place the "test" folder inside the "htdocs" folder too.

Alternately, install the Joomla into the htdocs/xampp folder and make sure to safe/re-name the existing index.php from the default xammp install in that folder to index_old.php in case you need to reverse the process. Joomla should fire up as the default application if it is installed into htdocs/xammp/index.php. You might need to juggle a few things to get it into the correct location, but it should not be difficult to do.Another option is to rename the existing htdocs/xammp/index.php, build another htdocs/xammp/index.php that performs a redirect to the Joomla folder???

I replied in the shoutbox too, try renaming the "xampp" folder to "xampp_old" i think it isnt needed and so can be deleted, but rename it first so its easier to recover.
remember to place the "test" folder inside the "htdocs" folder too.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for helping. i did rename that htdocs tp htdocs_old and create another htdocs and i put that joomla inside that. Now evertime i type localhost is not joomla website show up but it show "IT WORKS!!!". i rename the index.html and php to old why the localhist not recognized my joomla php? can any one help me please?

:) I wish I had the answer. I am using xampp too but only because it was easy to get PHP5, MySQL, GD lib, Apache, PHPmyadmin, + what ever else it offers. Its still kinda hard to secure and I haven't found the documentations much help. Maybe its just me LOL. This is somewhat related anyway so I'll just tell you how I ended up using xampp. I have am running OSX so yeah I get apache and some other stuff included. only problem is its running old version of PHP and there is no gd lib support. There is no mysql myphpadmin etc. No problem right there's plenty of links out there pointing you to many ways of getting that stuff to work. After several attempts of getting each component to work (This is of course after some errors that I have encountered and probably forgotten about since the whole process was hell and I don't have time to try and understand LOL) anyway I get most of what i need working except for some reason I cant get GB lib to work with my version of apache and PHP5. So i give up and install xampp. I think it came with mysql too so yeah what the hell I installed it and now I have two apaches. The one from OSX and xampp. I can run either and if both are running they conflict obviously. The funny thing is now xampp runs and loads the sites I have on the orginal apache. I never had this in the past I remember it having its own directory and so I check and sure enough it does. except its not running folders in there. I tried moving / creating files in its htdocs but they dont load except the folders from my original setup. Weird aye. All in all my server is completely messed up. Following the security setup guidelines don't even work either its poor documentation from xampps part or my servers messed up because I'm not seeing what they are pointing out in the steps. I probably wont try fix it anytime soon because of time on top of that last week I got SQL injected LOL the guy was nice enough to point out my flaw in PHP code and not do any serious damage. So I have to say I'm still a complete newbie with xampp and among other things. I hope you find the solution and post it here.PeaceSone

Thanks for helping. i did rename that htdocs tp htdocs_old and create another htdocs and i put that joomla inside that. Now evertime i type localhost is not joomla website show up but it show "IT WORKS!!!". i rename the index.html and php to old why the localhist not recognized my joomla php? can any one help me please?

you dont need to rename the HTDOCS folder. You need to rename the XAMPP folder that is inside the HTDOCS folder. Eg go to C:\XAMPP (or wherver you installed it. then go into the HTDOCS folder and if there is a folder inside that called XAMPP (so the file location is C:\XAMPP\HTDOCS\XAMPP) rename that last XAMPP folder.

So now you have C:\XAMPP\HTDOCS and inside there you have XAMPP_OLD or something. Now try going to your localhost http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and see what happens. If you still get the "It works" Message you need to look for and rename, ANY "index" file or any other HTML file inside the HTDOCS folder.

Basically when you type LOCALHOST or whatever your browser effectively goes to the folder xampp/htdocs so any file inside the HTDOCS folder is now on display. So clear out that folder. Just copy/cut it into a fodler on your desktop or something and delete the originals, so that the HTDOCS folder is now empty. And place your own index.htm file in there. And test again.

I dont encourage people to do what I did coz I was new to this thing. I just deleted the entire content of xampp/htdocs/ and placed my index.php and all the other folders in there. It worked the first time and I never had a problem ever since. I still type LOCALHOST/phpmyadmin and it works. I don't even know where it gets it but it doesn't fail me

Concern and answer to the question: Changing Home Page Location in XamppXampp How Can I Generate "automatic Start Sites"

I know this may bother you posters with answers, but really most of the time I get no real good info from these help locations.  Listen ... Read ... If you don't know the answer then just beg off and don't post something just because. 

Now to answer the question of how to change the home page in xampp, here is what you do.  Do not rename anything.[/font] 

Go to the htdocs folder in xampp.

Look for the index.Php file. 

Open it using notepad++ or some other useful tool.  In this file you should see:

<?php  if (!empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && ('on' == $_SERVER['HTTPS'])) {    $uri = 'https://';  } else {    $uri = 'http://';  }  $uri .= $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];  header('Location: '.$uri.'/xampp/');[/font]  exit;?>Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-(

This file gives instructions on where to look for the home page.  In order to send it somewhere other than the xampp folder, you need to edit the instruction.  Notice that I have highlighted a section, "header('Location ... Blah blah".  The default reads "xampp".  You need to change this to something else. 

First, in your htdocs folder create a another folder using any name you like.  You can call it www or mysites, whatever.  Place an index.Html file in there that will tell you that you have hit the right spot. (I do hope you know how to make a simple index file)

Now edit the section under "header('Location: '$uri'/xampp'/)"  to something like "header('Location: '$uri'/your_new_folder_name[/font]'/) and save it.

You will now see, upon refresh of the url in your browser, that you see your index file in your newly named folder. You can install Joomla! in this folder along with more folders which in turn can contain more sites, if you wish.

-reply by REDBOX2000