xisto Community
AshTheGamer

Martial Arts

Hello.Just to let you guys out their that Martial Arts Is one of the best defending Arts you can do with a show.With Martial Arts You can Learn many Technique's To defend your self and others.Also you can calm you mind in a smooth warm up session.So if your someone who has anger management problems Martial Arts Is probably one of the best chilling up session's you can do.Apart from when you are doing an Attack session which is alot more fun :)- Ash :)

So if your someone who has anger management problems Martial Arts Is probably one of the best chilling up session's you can do.

- Ash :)

That is indeed true, controversial (or contradictory) as it may seem.
Many parents do not want to cross this threshold, for example if they have a child who needs to follow a course of anger management.
The problem is that still too often, martial arts are seen as 'training violence'.
That is, however, completely the wrong attitude, as people often forget that one of the main factors in martial arts is discipline.
That includes getting things like violence, attacking, anger and the likes out of your mind.

Well... there are also martial arts that are not (that) agressive at all, such as Aikido (which I practiced for a while) and Tai Chi (which seems to be half martial art / half meditation).

I regularly practice Taekwondo (similar to well known Karate), and currently holds blue belt. Please,?understand?that?it?is?not?just?about?self?defending?or?anger?management. If?you?practice?this?art,?it?will?reflect?in?your whole?personality,?your?health?in?general.?I?feel?more?flexible,?free?when?I?do?it?daily,?but?when?I?miss?it?even?one?day,?the?whole body feels somewhat numb, I won't feel that freshness in me.

Edited by pasten (see edit history)

I know how Karate, Judo, and some of them skills that Jackie Chan does. :D I'm good at it. ^_^ What's weired is, I was born with the skills. :lol: When I turned 5 I knew them :D I was never tort them Martial Arts.Well, I know them anyway that's good. :D What's the other one called? Jujitsu or something. Is that one good?-Sky

i've tried a few martial arts but quit shortly after i started because i wasn't particularly interested in them but still they never teach you how to attack someone they only teach you how to defend yourself, all the example situations they teach you are never like someone ows you money so you go bash them. its always in self defence. obviously you can use the skills they teach you to attack but they always tell you to only use martial arts when it is absulutely necessery and trying to sort it out peacefully is the best option. but they still are teaching you to fight but they try to teach you to use the martial art skill in a good way.

I love martial arts...It soothes the soul. Sparring is one of the most enjoyable parts of martial arts because it's when you can physically see how much you've improved. THe adrenaline before a match simply makes me happy. I couldn't possibly imagine my life without martial arts. I would think I would have a lot of free time on my hands, though. Heh.Another upside of martial arts is that you make lasting friends in the process of getting stronger (or whatever your goal is). Everyone is fighting for their goal and even though that finish line may be different for each person, everyone can relate.

James, that depends on what your the rules and requirements of your club are.

For example: I do Shotokan Karate, and on training, we do not use anything regarding protection.

However, when we have a tournament, then we are obliged to wear a gum shield, mittens and a groin protector (shell) during our fights.

I asked our Sensei for permission, however, (and got that permission) to wear leg protection during training sessions, for the simple reason that I am diabetic, which means (among other things) you have to be careful about injuries to your legs and feet, and after one nasty experience, I decided that was needed, which is why I got that permission.

What happened in that "nasty experience" was: during a sparring session on training, my opponent caught me on the shin with his toenail, leaving nothing but a tiny scratch.

However, due to the diabetes, and also the fact that Karate is done on bare feet, and the floors of the training halls are not always squeaky clean, the tiny scratch got infected and caused an ulcer on my leg which oozed for weeks.

But, as I said in the beginning, it depends on which martial art you do (forgot to mention that) and also on the internal rules of your club.

Eg. in Tae Kwon Do, the fighters wear a protective shield around their upper body, while in Kendo they wear the same plus a protective mask as well.

Ayway, consult with your teacher of whatever martial art you do and he will be happy to give you further guidelines.

I know how Karate, Judo, and some of them skills that Jackie Chan does. :D I'm good at it. ^_^ What's weired is, I was born with the skills. :lol: When I turned 5 I knew them :D I was never tort them Martial Arts.
Well, I know them anyway that's good. :D What's the other one called? Jujitsu or something. Is that one good?

-Sky

Well you may just be kidding or you may be for real. If you're for real-you're a warrior-welcome home! And Jujitsu is the art of the samurai(known to among the most skillful warriors of all time). In the warrior awareness it is not the art but the purpose for the art, which is more meaningful. The greatest conflict a warrior faces is the one inside themselves. Until that war inside yourself is resolved the warrior will remain asleep. Once awakened all the arts you have leaned in all your lifetimes passed will be in now.

I find it a bit questionable when someone claims to be born with martial arts skills of different martial arts.

The reason I am saying this is because any form of martial arts (and there are lots of them) takes years to perfect the techniques, and if someone wants to become a master at any of them, it usually leads to a life long of discipline, study and practice.

They are not the skills you just "acquire", all techniques have to be taught, analysed and practised thoroughly, so the term "I was born with the skills" might be something like "a slight exaggeration".

Also, (you do not seem to mention your age), claiming you are "good at them" might be a very relative thing, depending on:

Under which circumstances you used your "skills"

How good and pure the execution of your techniques really is

The speed and accuracy with which you execute your techniques (both in attack and defence)

I, too, used to have a student who had studied Tae Kwon Do for about six months and as a result thought "she was dangerous".

In her case, these things could easily be forgiven since:

She was only 8 years old at the time

It (of course) felt good to her having punched or kicked someone and getting them to the floor or having defended herself against a punch or a kick

It must have felt good to her winning during a one to one sparring exercise

However, to put especially points 2 and 3 into their right context: in both cases, it will have concerned someone of her own age, size, weight and ability.

Furthermore, these exercises are always supervised by a master and the techniques to be used are always limited to the techniques and skills they have already learned, nothing further.

Let us also no forget, one of the greatest martial artists ever, the great Bruce Lee, was, although he was a top class master at his untimely death at the age of 32, was still learning, studying, observing people, doing general strength and fitness exercises in order to keep maintaining and improving his skills.

His skills were, above that, a combination of different martial arts, for example, one minute he would execute Kung Fu kicking, punching and grabbing techniques, while, a second later, he would dance around his opponent like a boxer, or pull an opponent over his shoulder as it is done in Judo.

This combination of all styles was his invention which he turned into his own style called Jeet Kune Do (the way of the intercepting fist).

In an interview on television, he once claimed "I am not one style, I am all styles", a claim which he could rightfully make, as that was really the case.

Not only had he combined elements of all kinds of martial arts, he also invented his own techniques, such as the "one inch punch", in which he punches an opponent without swinging his arm, without a step (or more) towards his opponent, just a punch while standing still, and still developing the power to get an opponent to the floor.

Then, before going on to a brief explanation of Jiu Jitsu, you claim "you know the styles anyway", well, I am not so sure about the thoroughness of your knowledge, if you refer to one style as "some of them skills that Jackie Chan does".

Now, about Jiu Jitsu:

There is the old and original Japanese martial art called Jiu Jitsu, and there is also a much more recent Brazilian style called Jiu Jitsu.

In a nutshell, Japanese Jujutsu will help you develop:

Efficient and effective striking techniques

Excellent wrist and joint locking and choking techniques

Great ways to throw your opponent

In other words, it is a bit like a combination between Judo (throwing, locking and choking techniques) and Karate (striking techniques).

The Brazilian style is very similar, with two differences:

There are a lot of acrobatic moves in it

The main aim is to try and get the opponent to the ground and then apply chokes or holds to get the opponent into submission

The acrobatic elements also make the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style can be used as a spectacular display that looks a lot like choreography, and, as for the fighting itself, there is a lot of ground work involved.

Hope you found this post enlightening, and feel free to reply if you wish to continue this discussion.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)