xisto Community
bluedragon

Opensuse 11.0 - I Am Stuck Wid Some Probs. Pls Help !

Hi ,

I've installed OpenSUSE 11.0

Installation was hassle free :)

But I ran into some problems.

My Current System Specs are :

proc: Intel Core2 quad Q6600

Motherboard : ASUS P5Q

Graphix Card : XFX 8600 GT

RAM : 2 GB

Hard-disk : 120 GB ( ATA ) + 2 x 250 GB (SATA-II)

Sound controller : Realtek HD Audio

LAN controller : Atheros 81 Series (8121)

Initially I thought that this motherboard was not supported but It is. The problem is that for different component on the motherboard, Drivers are not given along the installation.

I was able to detect the two drives using

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

But was not able to mount the drive

Please help me in mounting my hard-drives

I tried

dev/sda2    /path_to/mount_point    ntfs-3g    defaults    0 0

Second most annoying problem is that I am not able to install the drivers for the LAN.

I downloaded the Linux drivers for this card but everytime I try to build the rpm its doesn't work.

Third, I cannot configure Audio controller for this motherboard. I dont know how to do that.

Fourth , I have an RPM for Nvidia drivers but I dont know how to install that. I tried double clicking and then running in terminal. But that doesn't work. It said to login as 'root'. I tried logging in as 'root' and then running but it didn't run this time.

Can someone tell me how to run it. I'll be needing the exact command.

the name of the program is

"NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run"

P.S. Totally forgot. I am new with linux. Although I've used linux but this was the third Time I tried to install it and it succeeded. Guess I'll be sticking with this if someone helps me figure out how to configure all the above :)

59 views 0 replies .. Can't some one help me .. I am seriously trying to set this thing up.. I had to install Vista instead of this.. Please reply so that i can install my linux properly .. I tried SLAX and it does detect and mount my hard drives properly so i guess there must be some command to properly mount these drivesand As for the LAN , it still doesn't work neither in SLAX nor in Ubuntu.pls help

As I'm sure you're aware, ASUS publish a list of which ASUS motherboards work with Linux. The P5Q series is not one of them. People have had lots of problems with it, but very little in the way of solutions.

The only useful advice I could find was from the Ubuntu Wiki:

Asus_P5Q
This motherboard works perfectly on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), but only if SATA is configured as AHCI in the BIOS (installation impossible via Alternate CD if SATA runs as IDE). Integrated LAN is not recognized (driver is missing). Best thing to do is to buy and install a PCI Wired Network Card.

work with linux

Opensuse 11.0 - I Am Stuck Wid Some Probs. Pls Help !

Replying to rvalkass

Installed OpenSuse 11 with this motherboard (yesterday).

Asus P5Q, Nvidia 9800GT

Nvidia driver: follow the Nvidia instructions

Atheros ethernet driver: http://atl1.sourceforge.net/

Sound driver not work today, but don't give up...

-reply by federbear