xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

Fun With Makeup!

So yeah, over the past few months I became extremely girly and stuff. So I accumulated tips from professionals, friends, sites, and bluebear and tried them all out and me and my friends.

Here are some basic rules.

1. Don't EVER share liquid makeup (unless you want to get sick- sharing liquid makeup is like sharing a toothbrush.)

2. Don't EVER share brushes. This is disgusting and will make you sick if you're not carefull. If you plan sharing stuff like dry eyeshadow, please please PLEASE use disposable brushes.

3. Makeup should look natural. Not like a parrot exploded on your face.

4. If you get real fancy with your eyes, don't over do your lips. And vice versa.

5. Makeup should only be applied to a fresh, clean, moisterised face.

6. Always take your makeup off at the end of the day (sooner if possible.)

7. Certain colors look good on certain people.

Here are my findings on what looks best.

First I'll start off with concealer, foundation and blush. I've found that my makeup looks better if I apply these last, because I'm prone to goof my eye makeup up and so I just cover up and mess-ups instead of either taking all the facial makeup of and starting over or just letting the world see my mistakes.

Here's my number one rule with foundation and concealer- a little goes a VERY long way. I only use concealer on HUGE zits, I don't even use it on my beauty marks because they make me sexy lol :) of course I was blessed with good skin so I rarely have to but out the concealer.

As for foundation my skin isn't perfect so I do have the occasional splotch. This is the only place where you should apply foundation (and blend it in with the skin around it of course.) That is why it's important to have a foundation that is the same color as your face, so thatway you're not even splotchier after you attempt to fix an un even tan. Use a sponge for foundation, so it won't go everywhere.

Suck in your cheeks and make a fishy-face. You should now be able to see the apples of your cheeks really well. You should lightly apply your blush here. Don't use a shade that is far away from your natural blush, and of course, blend blend blend! We are not living in the 80's! You makeup should look natural. Not streaky.

Now for lips:

If you plan on getting real fancy with your eyes, keep the lips simple. I'm not too fond of the SHAZAM! lips. Especially not with the SHAZAM eye look.

Don't use lip liner unless your lips are un even and you want to fix that and make it more even. If you do use lip liner, be sure to match and blend your lip color to the liner.

Glosses are my favorite, however if you plan on kissing someone, I would step away from the gloss. Most guys don't like the way lip gloss feels, because it's all goey. (Of course if you plan on a makeout session, the gloss won't last long anyway.) Go for a chap stick instead.

For day use, I would suggest more natural colors. (but for night use go ahead and use that blood red lipstick.)

One solution for finding the right shade for you is to make your own (wich is what I try to do in most cases) and is great because you know EXACTLY what's inside of it.

Shimmers are appropriate for anyone (almost) for any time of day (depending on the color and ammount of sparkle. For people my age (highschool) I think peach shimmers are wonderfull (for light skinned people) and carmels and chocolates are great for darker skinned people.

But what is the most important thing about lips? KEEP THEM HYDRATED. That's right. Because that amazing shade of Bobbi Brown lip stick/gloss/balm isn't going to be worth the money you spent on it if your lips are dry and cracked. If possible, sleep with chapstick on.

And for my favorite part (drum roll please) the eyes!

Yes, my absolute favorite part! The eyes are the windows to the soul. . .so let's make them pretty! Lol.

Eyes come in more shades then you think.

Sure there are the classic blue, green, brown and hazel. But did you know they come in violet, amber, grey, yellow, red (olcular albinism), turquiose, kahki, olive, black, and many many more. Some are so light that they're almost white, and some are so dark that you can barely distinguish the pupil from the iris. Some are opaque and some are transparent. And all are beautifull.

While we might fit into a certain catagory, our eyes are unique to us. My eyes are orange on the inside and they have a ring of green on the outside. But they also change colors alot. Eye color depends on the amount of melanin present at the front of the iris, along with other pigments. Blue eyes are actually yellow, but the collogen present in them reflects a blue light. That is why lots of times blue eyes have specks of yellow in them, they are spots where there isn't collogen. Green eyes have more melanin then blue eyes, but less then brown eyes. Amber eyes have the pigment lipochrome in them. Red eyes have no pigment at all and are only seen in people who suffer albinism. I'm not too sure what causes violet eyes (think elizabeth taylor.)

Anyway now that we've covered eye color, it's time to pull out our handy dandy color wheel.

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/404.htm

This is going to be your most helpfull tool with eye color. Find the shade that matches your color the most. Then find the opposite shade. That is most likely going to be you best color.

Blue eyes- You are the lucky ones in my opinion. In many places where I live, blue eyes are coveted. Blue eyes look very nice with peach eye shadows, or with brown or black eyeliner. However, if someone with blue eyes chooses they eyeliner route, try to keep the eye shadow as natural of a shade as possible. Dark colors make light colors pop.

Green eyes- Purples or burgendy's are your friend (but not at the same time). Gold is also a good color. And so are any earth tones. Of course, you can never go wrong with natural colored eye shadow, black eye liner and mascara.

Brown eyes- These are the lucky ladies because they can pull of ALMOST any shade of eye makeup. Now I think brown eyed women who go around with blue eyeshadow (really BRIGHT blue eyeshadow that is) look rediculous. But I love greens, pinks, golds, browns, charcols and subtle navys on this eye color. . . just remember a little goes a long way. . . a VERY long way.

Hazel eyes- Since this color can cover a very broad range of colors, you can pull of virtually any color that's not completely rediculous (that means not hot pinks or lime greens.) but you can pull off ALOT.

Amber- Golds, purples, blues, browns, greens, pinks, and blacks are the best. Just remember you need to keep it subtle with this eye color.

Violet and grey- Follow blue eyes.

very well written post there and i don't realy want to take away from the time you spent, but......women should dress up in halloween costumes while their at it. you started with concealer and in my opinion, ALL makeup is concealer. it hides everything about your physical appearance. what i don't get is some guys actually like it when their women conceal themselves. me personally, women don't need to go to all that work. why can't they see the same beauty without the makeup??? women have gone so far now as to paint their dogs toenail or dye their hair pink. their excuse is "the dog likes it. look how much more happy HE!/she is"...top it off, my woman has asked me more than once if she could pain my nails.the only way i would let my wife be womanly to my body is if i can be manly to her afterward and stand her up by a tree for target practice....

very well written post there and i don't realy want to take away from the time you spent, but......
women should dress up in halloween costumes while their at it. you started with concealer and in my opinion, ALL makeup is concealer. it hides everything about your physical appearance. what i don't get is some guys actually like it when their women conceal themselves. me personally, women don't need to go to all that work. why can't they see the same beauty without the makeup??? women have gone so far now as to paint their dogs toenail or dye their hair pink. their excuse is "the dog likes it. look how much more happy HE!/she is"...top it off, my woman has asked me more than once if she could pain my nails.

the only way i would let my wife be womanly to my body is if i can be manly to her afterward and stand her up by a tree for target practice....

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAA your wife attempted to paint you nails? What the hell is wrong with her?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! I can't immagine why she'd think that would make you more attractive. . . it would actually make you seem like a complete fruit cake. . .lol.

As for you other comment, if your wife is just caking on the makeup then she SERIOUSLY needs help with makeup. . .it should be used to bring out your best features, not make you look like a clown. Lol.

But seriously dude I feel really bad for you. :)

it should be used to bring out your best features, not make you look like a clown. Lol.

i know that's one excuse to use makeup, but even so, isn't it still kinda fake? it's not like me putting vasoline on my lips to make them shine. i do it if i have dry lips.
isn't the real reason why women wear makeup the fact that they think they can look better or prettier than any natural look?

you tried to say makeup should only be used to bring out your best features. that ofcourse is one opinion. when is too little or when is too much? it's all relative to the one putting the makeup on isn't it? so the meaning behind "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sorta gets wiped away.

women don't just like using makeup though. they like painting their nails and getting them professionally done along with their hair and even dying it. by using makeup, they can actually change the way they look by hiding their natural features.

now after asking some questions and intimating my own beliefs, do you really think i would marry someone who caked on makeup? :)

when we talk about makeup though and ways to use it gently to brings out features, it's also important to talk about why covering up and bringing out features is important, don't ya think? ever since i can remember as a kid, this has been a question in my mind why women feel they need to use makeup. is it have something to do with insecurities as well? you know. getting in the mind of women always seems impossible :P

i think you wrote a very well written post. maybe you can continue writing why women need to apply makeup in different situations that different women can relate to. and answer some of the relevant questions like "should all women wear makeup?" or "what's more important, wearing makeup or being happy just the way you are?".

Yay, I love topics like this! :)

1. Don't EVER share liquid makeup (unless you want to get sick- sharing liquid makeup is like sharing a toothbrush.)

You should not share other things like lipgloss, lipstick or anything like that. Not eyeliner either. I do not really share anything at all - and that includes my mascara. It is sacred and should only be touched by me.

2. Don't EVER share brushes. This is disgusting and will make you sick if you're not carefull. If you plan sharing stuff like dry eyeshadow, please please PLEASE use disposable brushes.

Wash your brushes at least once a week to get rid of old make-up and as well other disgusting stuff. Rinse them with warm water and gently massage in a mild shampoo. (Baby shampoo or something else that treats your brushes good.) Rinse and do the same thing again if it is necessary. I always finish with conditioner. Always make sure that all the soap is gone and that the water is clear. I have super soft kabuki brushes - so I do not really need conditioner.

3. Makeup should look natural. Not like a parrot exploded on your face.

If a parrot exploded on your face it would look disgusting. Everyday make-up should look nice and natural, but that does not mean you have to use just a tiny amount. Put your make-up on in natural light, not in the colours of the rainbow.

Evening or party make-up can be more fun. I hate when girls put on layers and layers of mascara so it looks clumpy and horrible - but a little bit more is good. Eye-shadow is great and some nice shadowing with good colours often works very good. The light is obiously not the same so you can be a lot more daring.

4. If you get real fancy with your eyes, don't over do your lips. And vice versa.

I agree. One focus point is enough.

5. Makeup should only be applied to a fresh, clean, moisterised face.

Especially if using powder make-up. (Like I do.) Powder based make-up often makes a persons skin dry. But everyone should do this anyway.

6. Always take your makeup off at the end of the day (sooner if possible.)

...and always cleans your skin in the morning too! It is just important to get better/good skin.

I will not comment on the last one, because it is true and I have nothing more to add.

anwiii: I have not got time to reply to your post now, but you should not use Vaseline on your lips because it clogs your pores and so on. There are plenty of good moisturises of their that do what they are supposed to do without (may) cause your skin around your mouth to become clogged and horrible.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

anwiii: I have not got time to reply to your post now, but you should not use Vaseline on your lips because it clogs your pores and so on. There are plenty of good moisturises of their that do what they are supposed to do without (may) cause your skin around your mouth to become clogged and horrible.

really? i never thought i looked clogged and horrible when i use vasoline to prevent dryness on my lips. so what do you suggest instead of vasoline?

Well the skin does not absorb vaseline, so it just creates this film over your lips. I use it as an eye make-up remover, though I always make sure to remove all of it and clean my skin afterwords. I used to use it as a lip softener when I was a lot younger, until someone told me what it can cause.The beauty industry use a lot of bad ingredients, so finding one that works can be hard. I have some friends that struggled with this, but then they tried Decleor's Lip Balm. (Aromessence Lip Balm) Yes it is expensive (at least here...), but it is really good and last a long time. Besides from that there are plenty of organic products that do not contain a lot of weird stuff, though some of them just will not work. Search the web for some reviews and that will help you. I believe Decleor's lip balm is 100% natural, and it works for so many people. Of course there are always some that can not notice a difference - but everyone is different so you have to try to find out what works best for you.

Thanks for the additions bluebear :PAs for the lip thing, I don't even buy lip gloss I just make my own so I know EXACTLY what's in it. And of course I can make it taste and smell yummy :)

I do not really like shiny lips, but I love when whatever I put on them smells and tastes great! Coconut, strawberry... I wonder how you make your own? I really like those from TBS, though I have never checked if the ingredients are okay. Sometimes I just can not help myself... TBS does not test on animals so that is great. So many companies do that.

I do not really like shiny lips, but I love when whatever I put on them smells and tastes great! Coconut, strawberry... I wonder how you make your own? I really like those from TBS, though I have never checked if the ingredients are okay. Sometimes I just can not help myself... TBS does not test on animals so that is great. So many companies do that.

There are a bunch of great recipes on the internet. . .just don't go with the petrolium jelly and Kool-Aid ones. . .go with the beeswax and shea butter with essential oils. . . . they are much better for your skin.

As for what anwiii said, yes woman should always feel good about who they are but what's wrong with having fun with makeup? lol.

The truth is that many girls/women do not feel beautiful without make-up. In some cases they are beautiful with or without. I never leave the house without my basic make-up; mineral foundation and mascara. Why? Well it looks better. I am not hiding how I look but making my skin smoothing and my eyes stand out slightly. As for the "make it yourself" thingy and the shea butter TBS have a lot of products with it. :) Their products is kind of expensive, but whenever I get rich I am going to buy the whole freaking store. I know that TBS Shea Body Butter and Shea Lip Body Butter contain (obviously) shea butter but also beeswax. They do seriously have a lot of amazing products, so if you have never been there you should!

I think TBS must be a Europe only thing, because I live in the USA and have never heard of it.As for the whole hiding behind makeup thing, I have a splotch where I put a little too much sunscreen on when I was at band camp (yeah, band camp. Bring on the band camp jokes :P lol.) and it's really obvious so untill it goes away I just dab on a little foundation and I'm good to go.I'm only 14 so I don't go crazy with the makeup during school hours but when I go to night parties it's a different story :P and of course colorguard makeup is completely rediculous :)My school makeup routine is this:concealor and foundation (but only if needed)Gold eye shadowGold eyeliner on my top lid.Brown on bottom.Clear (no color) mascara.Blush.Chapstick.And that's it. It's really not much after I get it all on. . .

I've never caught on to the makeup scene myself, and in some ways I feel lucky. Like Bluebear mentioned, many who use makeup feel that they are ugly without it. Having never really worn it except for special occasions, I don't feel this way. I think that make-up doesn't make you look any more beautiful than you look naturally, it just changes your appearance. Many react to a person who usually wears make-up and then goes a day without it the same way they would if they saw someone who never wears it and then does one day; it's quite a change. We should all learn to feel pretty without painting our faces...but unfortunately that is extremely difficult in a culture that emphasizes uniformity and standards and with make-up companies that want us to buy their products.

^^ You have TBS in USA too. TBS= The Body Shop. Does it ring a bell? In all sports I have done make-up is not a part of it. When I played football, (US soccer) the clouds always decided to throw some rain at me causing that some players looked like pandas. I always wear waterproof black mascara - as I just live in that part of the country. Just because someone mentioned make-up companies; many of them cheat. As in fake commercials. There should seriously be some kind of group that make sure what they say is true and the pictures they are using are not some extreme Photoshop work that will make every girl in the country look at themselves and think that they should have that nice skin, such voluminous lashes or a pair of nice huge lips. Unfortunately the business is just full of crap.

Just because someone mentioned make-up companies; many of them cheat. As in fake commercials. There should seriously be some kind of group that make sure what they say is true and the pictures they are using are not some extreme Photoshop work that will make every girl in the country look at themselves and think that they should have that nice skin, such voluminous lashes or a pair of nice huge lips. Unfortunately the business is just full of crap.

Ohhhh okay I have never been there. Bath and body works is more popular in this part of the country but the mall I was at two days ago had a body shop in there.

And as for your comment^^^^^ I couldn't agree more. I used to think I was ugly, because I didn't have platinum blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and bee stung lips. Now I realise that my color is balanced. I have relitivily dark skin for a white girl (yay Poland! :)) so bleach blonde hair would look rediculous on me. And then I realized that I have nice amber and green eyes (which is one of the more rare colors) and so my coloring is balanced to suit me and that's okay. And now I realize that I would look absolutly stupid with pouty beestung lips, as I have a big forehead and so it would be too much large stuff. Hahaa. I look at my proportions now and I find they are quite desirable, I have big eyes hahahaa.

But as for the TBS doesn't test on animals thing, just because they don't test the finished product on animals doesn't mean the don't test parts of the product on animals.

Anyway, you should feel beautiful without makeup.