xisto Community
dieNasty

Any Php-editors

Using notepad is a really good way to learn a language be it php orJava.You can even write any of the net framework languagesin notepad if you really wanted to.Any of this drag and drop is just visual anyway.In php theres a lotof parsing of html code.

I personally prefer PHP Designer 2008, even though for some time now it's not free as it used to be, but it isn't to expensive to buy it, it really is a good piece of software! It has lots of useful features you can use, the most major for me is that when I define something, a constant, a function, a variable, a class, it lists it while I'm writing my code, something like on Visual Studio with C#, but much better I guess.. Also it has a toolbox which lists all your classes and methods and more if you want in that file! It's now is quite fast and isn't resources hungry like most other IDE, it has real time PHP checking and it is really very configurable..So I guess you should try using it if you're into PHP :)

I don't like visual/wysiwyg editors, no matter what the heck I do, my result will be something bethween ridiculous and pathetic. I like to code all myself, the css, xhtml and the php by hand. And I also recommend them for a beginner, cuz you won't learn much with just drag and dropping, it sounds a little too good to be true. Maybe the nerds come up with a new web programming language where all you do is to talk in the microfone and the editor will wright the code down for ya! Now that would be cool! Either way, I would go with crimson editor, it's simple to use.

Edited by baniboy (see edit history)