xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Accure

Olympic Games Ur opinion

I love sports, and im sure going to watch the Olympic Games 2008.

The 2008 Summer Olympic Games, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, is a major international multi-sport event which is being celebrated in Beijing, People's Republic of China from August 8 to August 24, 2008 and followed by the 2008 Summer Paralympics from September 6 to September 17. Ten thousand, five hundred athletes are expected to compete in 302 events in 28 sports, just one event more than was on the schedule of the 2004 games.[2]The 2008 Beijing Olympics will also mark the third time that Olympic events will have been held in the territories of two different National Olympic Committees (NOC): at the 2008 Olympics, equestrian events will be held in Hong Kong, which competes separately from mainland China.
The Olympic games were awarded to Beijing after an exhaustive ballot of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on July 13, 2001. The official logo of the games, titled "Dancing Beijing," features a stylised calligraphic character jīng (京, meaning capital), referencing the host city. The mascots of Beijing 2008 are the five Fuwa, each representing both a colour of the Olympic rings and a symbol of Chinese culture. The Olympic slogan, One World, One Dream, calls upon the world to unite in the Olympic spirit. Several new NOCs have also been recognised by the IOC.

The Chinese government has promoted the games to highlight China's emergence on the world stage and has invested heavily in new facilities and transportation systems.[3][4] A total of 37 venues will be used to host the events including 12 newly constructed venues. Earlier in 2007, former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch had said that he believes that the Beijing games will be "the best in Olympic history,"[5] and despite the controversies that have marred the image of the Chinese Olympics, current president Jacques Rogge asserts that the IOC has "absolutely no regrets" in choosing Beijing to host the 2008 games.

So, whats your opinion on the Games ?

I'm a huge sports fan but never can really get too much into the Olympics. However, I know some people that live and die with the Olympics. Overall though, I think the Olympics are a lot bigger deal for small countries searching for a source of national pride. Countries like the United States really have nothing to prove. There is one exception though as always in my eyes. And that is the basketball portion of the Games. After the United States, pretty much always regarded as a favorite, and sometimes a heavy favorite, only managed to come home with a bronze in 2004, Coach K and all his players are playing with a huge chip on their soldiers. Some have even guarenteed victory in the 2008 games, and I think it will be very interesting to watch how this plays out.

I'll be watching the highlights as there's so much on I can't decide which games are worth the watch. And when I say there's a lot on, there is: 6am - 4.30pm are taken up for the Olympics on a non-sports channel. Do they have nothing better to show? Apparently, we stand quite a good chance in swimming but I don't know. We have a track record of not being very good at sports.Then, of course, there's the opening ceremony, which was spectacular! We've got a lot to live up to when we open the Olympic Stadium in five year's time...(am from the UK, btw)

I'll be watching the highlights as there's so much on I can't decide which games are worth the watch. And when I say there's a lot on, there is: 6am - 4.30pm are taken up for the Olympics on a non-sports channel. Do they have nothing better to show? Apparently, we stand quite a good chance in swimming but I don't know. We have a track record of not being very good at sports.
Then, of course, there's the opening ceremony, which was spectacular! We've got a lot to live up to when we open the Olympic Stadium in five year's time...

(am from the UK, btw)

Actually you have a big challenge in front of you, as the ceremony regards. To me this is now the best of the ceremonies of all the times, followed by the Barcelona 1992. Where the show was also amazing (Freddy Mercury, Montserrat Caballe, the tenors José Carreras, Plácido Domingo) and lets remember the arrow fired by the archer with the olimpic fire to turn on the olimpic torch. That was amazing, I was shocked by such a beautiful spectacle. Something that I have to remark is that we must remember that even when the Ceremony and the games are going so splendid, that country have a lot of problems regarding their democracy and violation of humans rights. That the world, including all of us as part of it should make some pressure to change. Without sending soldiers to invade that only brings death and suffering, something that the american government make so easily, without any prove till now of making any good, but a lot of damage and suffering!
Thats all I have to say about the Games, and lets see how things end!!
My origin Country is one of those small countries that make a nice role on the games, Im from Cuba. I hope this time we make it best than the last time!

See ya, and enjoy the games!!!

Have to say that the Opening was indeed impressive, and the torch lighting after running around the roof would have to be up there with Barcelona, or even Cathy Freeman's waterfall lighting back in Sydney over 8 years ago.

Well you can watch the Olympics on the internet, I had firefox and IE running while watching the day one events, and its funny I was watching stuff that I wouldn't normally watch like soccer and fencing. Which was crazy as heck as the women would scream every time they get or point or if their opponent scored a point on them (fencing). Of course all that peace and harmony that usually comes with the games is pretty much gone, brutal murder of tourist, the war between Russia and Georgia.

I'm a big fan of the Olympics... and have always been. I get all excited when they are coming up and keep whining about how much I want to see them for like the leading six months before the games. So far, I've watched all the coverage that I've been able too, and though I know I should be getting more work done, I figure the Olympics don't happen too often, so I've been slacking off a bit to watch them lately.One thing that's been bothering me though, is the coverage hasn't been all I expected... a ton of channels came on my satellite all titled "Olympic #1" through to 8 I believe, so I thought I would have plenty of things that I could watch... but it turns out, they pretty much all play the exact same thing when they are on the air, and half the time they aren't even on the air at all... (and that's even during the times there is actual games happening featuring people from my country.It's kind of annoying, but at least I'm seeing some of it. I've ended up watching American coverage of it (I'm in Canada), because there are times when they are the only reruns of things I've seen three times before playing on the Canadian channels. But hey, that's the way of the TV I suppose... only problem with that is I can't really follow how my athletes are doing, but so far they haven't really been doing so well, so it's probably no biggie. We'll make up for it in the next winter Olympics anyway :) Anyway, I suppose I'll get my butt back downstairs and see if there is anything worth watching on the television now. It's just about time things start to become live, so I'm hoping for the best.

I have never really been able to get into the Olympic games either...I think it's just the fact that you're watching other people partake in sports, rather than yourself. I just really don't find that much enjoyment in it.But to me it's the same as going to baseball games or football games...I just don't see how watching others have fun is fun in itself. I would rather be out in the action, otherwise I get bored easily...And then you can consider the *cost* of going to the Olympic games....Just...Wow, so expensive! Couldn't really justify the cost even if I wanted to.

Maybe that is why I'm so fascinated by the Olympics.... I've never really enjoyed playing sports myself, and much preferred to watch them. It's always been like this, so perhaps that is why I can still find enjoyment from watching the sports on the television. That and I find it fun to have a common "something" to cheer for... so it's like a group of people that can be happy or sad about a win or loss together. Having the nation all cheering with me makes it all the more fun.But I agree with you about the cost of the Olympics... I saw that the opening ceremonies cost over $600, and I could never justify spending that much money to watch something - no matter how good it is. And as a side note, I think the opening was very amazing... I couldn't believe the number of people that performed in it! Anyway... I'm not sure what the cost of the events are, but I think if they didn't cost so much, I'd like to go and see one, but probably not of a games that isn't close to home. Unless I just happen to be vacationing at the time too, because adding the price of planes and hotels on top of the already expensive ticket prices, I just can't justify that to myself either. There's many other lasting things that I could buy with that money.

Olympic 2008 is the most burning topic in recent days. China has commenced the great event with a great celebration party. Which is hugely praised by the whole world. In the opening day of sport The Cheque Republic started her journey by getting the first Gold madel. On the other hand America, Spain , South Korea, Cheque Republic, Rumania has got one gold each. China is on the top by having 2 gold medels. We have yet to see who would get the maximum gold madels in this competition.

every country has something to prove in the olympics. even usa, how come they will bring kobe,lebronwade and such to an olympic nba games for nothing.the olympics is now the pinnacle of some sports.