xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Its's Official Microsoft Is Done With The Windows Operating System

Well Saint_Michael, I have to tell ya. Yes Say bye bye to windows. "in a way" Vista will be the last of the widows, then will come Longhorn. The next geration of widowns operating systems. Vista, was to be Longhorn at 1st but Microsoft decided to test it and to workout some of there Famous bugs 1st. They didnt relese it as a "bata" but are using it as such, if that makes any since.From what I have heard and understand, Longhorn was to be a windows Server program but they kept working on it, and the higher ups in microsoft felt that it was time to do better.

Longhorn was just the codename for the Windows Vista and Server 2008 projects until they decided on a name, if I am not mistaken.

Now, if this midori deal happened, how would this work with the whole net-neutrality issue if it continues? Would we have to pay first for internet access, then for access to this midori, and then for a license for midori? If Microsoft switched to Midori and the ISPs charged more on top of the license fee, guess what! Everyone's moving to Linux!'

I think that this would be a bad business choice for Microsoft to stop on Windows. They should just make a windows that everyone will like! Windows 95 was great, 98 was great, 2000 went over well, NT was... ehh. XP went over well. I personally have not used Vista, so I don't know what problems, if any, there are with it but I know that a lot of people seem unhappy with it. Either way, they should just make the next ones better for people and they'd be good to go.

Windows 7 sounds like a real crappy name for an OS. I mean c'mon even "Snow Leopard" is more creative than that! I personally think that Microsoft isn't going to do as well (and already seems like it) since Bill gates has stepped down from CEO or whatever his position was that earned him so much money. I think people will soon see Mac OS and Linux as dominant when it comes to operating systems, because of the security. Once a lot of software is made for the other operating systems, windows will go down the drain. I think Microsoft will still do ok, but i think it will definitely take a hit once (and now that) people look elsewhere from Windows.

Well, in the near future I can't see Microsoft losing it's customer base. The fact remains that Windows has by far the greatest program base, it's easy as crap to set up and run, and everyone likes Microsoft Office. Sure some of us go out and get Open Office, but that isn't what most are doing.

Well I don't think they be giving up on operating systems altogether, I am just saying that they will build a new operating system by scratch that has nothing to do with Windows core. It will be gear more towards internet data storage running applications through a server like a web application or a desktop application and on top of that start trimming down computer hardware just like Apple did with its new laptops and what not.

Its probably true, the problem with vista is that it was built on the same core as XP, but with so many addons the basic XP core couldn't handle it without a truely BEASTLY machine. If they completely redesign the workings of the operating system specificly for the new technology and graphics, there wouldn't be so manyhardware issues. And the other problem with vista was they thought by taking the XP Security Center and making it more powerful, people would feel safer, butinstead they overdid it and made it too powerful when all people wanted was to buy some virus software and continue on like they always had. So maybe theywill cut back on some of the security, then again... if they redesign the core... anti-virus won't be available for it for months probably >.>

If windows stops making Operating Systems, other operating system like Linux have a huge opportunity to pick off where Windows 7 left off. But if this Cloud project does well, then congrats to them. I honestly don't mind if they make an operating system completely internet based. Would be faster and updated regularly.But really, how much better can they get? If they just made vista use the same amount of RAM as XP does, that would be the best operating system out there. There isn't really that much they can improve on, but if this is where they think they can good on them.I just hope by then they've cracked down on pirating, otherwise everyone will have the latest operating system completely for free and Microsoft will loose millions.

But here's an interesting question, how many of you actually think your ISP could support a Cloud OS? Me, nope; no freaking way.I have a nice little 5 MegaBit connection (560KBps) with upload speeds of only 30 KBps. As for how could Operating Systems evolve?I think there going to go the same way Consoles went, there all into new INPUT methods, so maybe Microsoft will come up witha completely new way to use their operating system. Voice commands wen't kaput (users are too lazy to train the system), touchscreensaren't good for gaming, maybe motion scanning... I think I saw something on TV about new consoles being able to track your handmotions for input, possibly they could evolve an OS into the same type of thinking.

Have to say good luck to Cloud on their OS and getting it out there to the other computer users. Personally I dont think Microsoft will stop Windows production soonish, but even if they wanted to do a different operating system, some aspects of Windows will be retained through the philosophy, if it aint broke, then don't fix it. But yeah, Microsoft does need to get down on the pirating, which they are working on in a way by preventing users with copied versions of XP/Vista from getting patched upgrades over time to prevent malware/viruses/etc from getting into the OS and the HDD.

It probably is fake, but who knows? Why, oh, why does Microsoft have to give up with Windows? Oh well, Windows is done with, and it has been a long time since Windows computers were out, so it is fare that they should give up. Looks like all of will have to switch to Mac or Linux now, which are the second OS choices, although we can still use Windows. Let's hope Mac and Linux developers don't stop like this.

But here's an interesting question, how many of you actually think your ISP could support a Cloud OS? Me, nope; no freaking way.I have a nice little 5 MegaBit connection (560KBps) with upload speeds of only 30 KBps. As for how could Operating Systems evolve?
I think there going to go the same way Consoles went, there all into new INPUT methods, so maybe Microsoft will come up with
a completely new way to use their operating system. Voice commands wen't kaput (users are too lazy to train the system), touchscreens
aren't good for gaming, maybe motion scanning... I think I saw something on TV about new consoles being able to track your hand
motions for input, possibly they could evolve an OS into the same type of thinking.

Well I highly doubt it is possible to run an Operating on a sever and design a computer that connects to that server without software that doesn't use an operating system to make that connection. Besides of the extreme difficulty of pulling something that off, I still believe that the operating system will still be installed the old fashion way, with restore CD's just in case you have to reinstall it or a unique back up system that is store either locally or on a server and a person could roll back on. Of course, that is just some crazy idea's that just came to mind and I would say once the Cloud computing starts to age and everyone starts getting involved with setting up these next generation operating systems, then everyone will get a better idea what will be happening.

Have to say good luck to Cloud on their OS and getting it out there to the other computer users. Personally I dont think Microsoft will stop Windows production soonish, but even if they wanted to do a different operating system, some aspects of Windows will be retained through the philosophy, if it aint broke, then don't fix it. But yeah, Microsoft does need to get down on the pirating, which they are working on in a way by preventing users with copied versions of XP/Vista from getting patched upgrades over time to prevent malware/viruses/etc from getting into the OS and the HDD.

Nah, Microsoft is book to at least 2010-2012 on producing windows operating systems, but I think once windows 7 is out or stable enough, only then will Microsoft will spend the hundreds of millions to start a new operating from scratch again. I totally agree with you that I wouldn't be surprise if they slip in windows aspects into this new operating system, hopefully one of them isn't a registry, the winsxs file system and RAM hogging.

It probably is fake, but who knows? Why, oh, why does Microsoft have to give up with Windows? Oh well, Windows is done with, and it has been a long time since Windows computers were out, so it is fare that they should give up. Looks like all of will have to switch to Mac or Linux now, which are the second OS choices, although we can still use Windows. Let's hope Mac and Linux developers don't stop like this.

Well it is not fake, still in rumorville and people talking and to answer your question about why Microsoft needs to give up windows, I think the phrase "Most hacked operating system in the computer industry" comes to mind. It isn't a matter of switching to another operating system, but I wouldn't be surprise if Apple is already thinking of a framework to get a cloud computing operating system going and as for linux, I won't be surprise if a lot of free linux versions go to commercial paid versions in order to cover costs, training people and constantly updating cloud computer operating systems 24/7.

Well I highly doubt it is possible to run an Operating on a sever and design a computer that connects to that server without software that doesn't use an operating system to make that connection. Besides of the extreme difficulty of pulling something that off, I still believe that the operating system will still be installed the old fashion way, with restore CD's just in case you have to reinstall it or a unique back up system that is store either locally or on a server and a person could roll back on. Of course, that is just some crazy idea's that just came to mind and I would say once the Cloud computing starts to age and everyone starts getting involved with setting up these next generation operating systems, then everyone will get a better idea what will be happening.Nah, Microsoft is book to at least 2010-2012 on producing windows operating systems, but I think once windows 7 is out or stable enough, only then will Microsoft will spend the hundreds of millions to start a new operating from scratch again. I totally agree with you that I wouldn't be surprise if they slip in windows aspects into this new operating system, hopefully one of them isn't a registry, the winsxs file system and RAM hogging.
Well it is not fake, still in rumorville and people talking and to answer your question about why Microsoft needs to give up windows, I think the phrase "Most hacked operating system in the computer industry" comes to mind. It isn't a matter of switching to another operating system, but I wouldn't be surprise if Apple is already thinking of a framework to get a cloud computing operating system going and as for linux, I won't be surprise if a lot of free linux versions go to commercial paid versions in order to cover costs, training people and constantly updating cloud computer operating systems 24/7.

Well yeah, its impossible to use cloud computing without having a base system. A network card doesn't know how to operate on its own ;D
But potentially a cloud system would mean a 2MB file on a disc could remotely download the rest of the operating system (effectively
minimizing installation time to your connection speed), and then have the rest of your data stored on a huge raid system for free (gotta
put that $600 bucks for something right?). But I highly doubt storing data would be online seeing the new Solid-State Drives that are
coming out, because they are nearly instant drives, and people will still feel secure by having their data on their own machine.

But as for Windows 7, I think their bringing it out too fast, people are getting confused with the sudden rush of Operating Systems being
released. Programmers are making a lot of money selling programs in all kinds of different languages that support these new OS's,
so as one I guess I should be happy. But before Microsoft released a new OS on an average of 7 years, that gave time for the pollsters
to gather data on what they need in new versions, and gave people time to upgrade (vista had time, but people felt rushed).

As for linux, I believe it will still remain a geek only OS, so I don't think it will grow. Because Windows and Mac dominate the market
and their *ALMOST* idiot-proof OS's, I don't think the general public will ever start to learn how the Operating System REALLY works.

Haha, this news must be a hoax or written by some not very computer literated company. Is this possible that Microsoft will actually abandon their product?And is it possible to move a windows OS to a web OS? That is a crazy idea, so where will those gamers, those no internet users, might go? What OS should they use? If Microsoft really done that, then microsoft is much like crazy.I think if windows is much own by Bill gate then bill gate is leaving microsoft, then I might think that this microsoft will do something about bill gate.

Well its not a hoax since pcworld is well established computer magazine, I would think it more like juicy gossip with a side of rumor. Since I mentioned in several posts that cloud computing is still a new concept and I would say they are abandoning making operating systems, but shelving the source code that runs all the various window operating systems. So if they were to make a new operating the source code will be done by scratch and mentioned early have hints of windows in it, but it won't be a windows operating system.

Ive heard about windows 7, and im not really impressed.. the only this windows tries is to get as many people buying their new OS each time they release one.. they aren't actually improving anymore since XP, they're just taking it in a new style, and then sell for double price... Me, I'm staying with XP Prof... Im not upgrading unless i have to.. Microsoft should just stop producing and let Apple & Ubuntu take the lead.

But what will you do when they pull support for XP Prof? I know it won't be until 2014 or whatever but it's good to start thinking. :P

Hmm If Microsoft plans on "giving" up, what'll happen to the "Coffe Table" PC They were comming up with? I was really looking forward to having one...

Microsoft isn't giving up, they are just dropping an outdated product name. In my oppinion, they shouldn't have branded Vista with the Windows name, it's a new, redesigned OS (sorta...).

Nope, I don't believe that will happen in the nearest future.

First of all - Internet access isn't spread worldwide (atleast not now) - so that means if I want to use my computer at a place without internet access I couldn't access my OS, and what good is an OS if I can't access the data.

Second of all - doesn't an "internet OS" require a browser? And doesn't a browser require a platform?On what platform would that browser stand?

And finally third of all - do you think Microsoft will abandon something that is successfull for 23 years? (from 1985 or so). Do you think that it will abandon a product that is used in 90% of all the computers in the world and make them switch to their brand new platform?

Those are the 3 things that make me not believe that "Midori" will happen.

(BTW, "Midori" means "grean" on Japanese :) )

They have taken the internet access issue into consideration. In fact, all the major players in the computing world have been talking about this concept for a while now. The projections say that in less than 10 years, a majority of the world will have access to high speed internet. That's kindof exciting don't you think? Not even a majority of the world operates a computer yet at this stage. This change is going to be dramatic as well. Almost the entire concept of computing will eventually change with the visions that some have shared with me. Don't get me wrong, this won't happen for a few years. The cloud computing theory will only work if it does change.

Imagine you have this built in protocol (NetBios) that allows you to boot from a remote machine/server? Great, you tell me OS is too big even for dsl... Well then, lets get rid of OS. Let's just load things as we need them. So what do we need; machine language interpreter, drivers, etc etc...

Ok, I feel I'm losing everyone, at least I bore myself. I think you get the idea though. It is extra bandwidth, but I'd expect that most people use far less of their current OS than they suspect. It will be an end to the 'windows' framework I hope. I'm sure that once it happens, there will be interfaces for it that resemble Windows for a time, but I hope they can break out of this conceptual madness that we are in. Windows was a great step up from DOS, but I think alot of us have been waiting and wondering when the next step will be taken. The major companies have finally heard our cries and complaints about debilitating, feature rich software and are moving us in the direction we wanted; to allow us to choose what we want to use (or clog) our systems with. Don't be fooled that Mac and Linux won't jump on this concept in one way or another. In fact, I would say that Linux is ahead of the curve so far. In Linux, if you want a new piece of software, all we have to do is type in one line of command, or some of us get a nice GUI to scroll through. It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to allow the same priveledge for d/loading and installing the actual OS. Another thing to keep in mind is people haven't started to say we don't need a hard drive yet, which makes me think that we might only download it every once in a while, at least in the begining.

The pricing and so forth of course I'm dreading with everyone else. I use a free OS but that doesn't mean I don't use commercial software (at least so far). In one discussion I had with some Web2.0 guys, they pointed out that, if I was charged based on what I used, instead of a flat fee that included everything, it should make my next operating system purchase cheaper... I suppose this would be true if the companies broke their price down based on what they currently charge.

As for security, I don't think I'll trust Microsoft for a long time, but mabye with better management, they can pick up thier game.

I think Microsoft is going to adapt sooner or later to this new concept in operating systems. And it's only a normal move since more and more people have at least 2 computers. I for one I am struggling with the fact that I always have to keep both of them synchronized. There are programs or plugins that can help, but if a operating system would be designed to be synchronized it would really help me and a lot of people in my situation. I'll take an example .... something that happens to all. You bookmark a website on one computer - what do you do if you need that bookmark on your other computer? There's nothing much you can do on Internet Explorer; on Mozilla Firefox there is a plugin that does just that and recently even more. Just the same with the files from one computer to the other. Fortunately there are specialized software to do that. Mozilla is introducing their cloud concept but it's still in beta - it should give users the ability to synchronize their browser over multiple computers... that is settings, bookmarks, passwords, everything!Another thing that I think is pretty common is the fact that people don't like to have different desktops on different computers. It's something psychological of course... It would be far better if one could synchronize all options from one operating system to another. Same debate with software. Update on one computer and then just synchronize the changes done. Microsoft will be eventually forced to harness the incredible power of the Internet.As a side note - I don't think they will ever give up the "Windows" trademark. Microsoft and Windows are like synonyms so a name change would do a lot of harm!