xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Fishing Slots under sized fish

This moring I went fishing on a dock here in nj, Salt water. Well we have a 18 and a half slot size limit on fluke. well I cought a few, all under the slot and through them all back as per the law. Well there was 2 young guys in there early 20's fishing not more than 30 feet up from me. when I noticed that had got a "Fish On" no matter the size the just threw it into there cooler! Bad enough that the game and fish here in NJ has had to raise the slot to this, "was 16.5" but to see someone keeping shorties! Myself and a friend that I was with made some comments just loud enough for them to hear, with no luck, they still took these undersized fish. To make matters even worse? These guys, and I say guys just to be nice here in the forum, had the guts when they left to come by us and give us there bait! I dearly love my salt and fresh water fishing, and it really pisses me off seeing people break the law with a shorty. Dont they know THAT is why the slots are getting bigger and bigger here in new jersey?even worse is that romors are flying here in the state that next year there will not even be a fluke season!

Man, that sucks.The fishing industry is having a hard enough time with Government regulations and Quotas and such things. These boys were wrong to keep the small fish, for sure.Too bad you could not have had the Wildlife Police (Conservation Officers) show up for an inspection.

I don't think they were trying to be rude by giving you their bait...they probably thought it was the nice thing to do...however, I really hate it when people take the small fish that they should be throwing back....there's not even anything to eat on fish those size and it's hurting next year's fishing season and others' fishing, and it's just really rude and wrong. Fishing laws, and lots of other laws too, are there for a reason and it's just hurting others when people break them...