xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Is Electronic Music Not "real" Music?

Not so long ago I heard someone say they prefer music played by live rock bands and not electronic dance music. They said they prefer ?more tuneful tunes?. What the hell does that mean?I find that many people put down dance music feel that any music not made with real instruments is easy, that anything made on a computer or software like Pro-Tools couldn?t possibly be anywhere near as credible or skilful as music made with real, live instruments. Do you find this to be true?There is so much absolutely beautiful, moving and ?tuneful? electronic music out there. So much of dance music is cutting edge in its sound, there?s something distinctly fresh and evolving with its beats and its melodies; to me electronically made music seems to be burgeoning on an ever expanding future of discovering new sounds. To me the computer is an instrument in itself; able to create new sounds that cannot be made with live ?analogue? instruments.So is there any truth to the opinion that electronic dance music isn?t real music? Is the credibility in the making of the music or in its sound?

Of course it is real music but electronic artists may not be the best concert artists. They might put on a good rave though. Anyway, I like a live show. The artists can express the music how they feel at the time. I think a lot of electronic sounds could be mixed into a lot of instruments that give the artists a lot more control in a live concert. Everything from filters in microphones, lots of different boxes for the guitar, keyboards and electric drums. I am sure with enough people you could do away with the turn table and the computer completely. As for what is better that is all subjective and music has a continuum of possibilities that can be explored. BTW I played the supper Mario bothers theme on the piano recently. You would be surprised at how close it sounds to what you hear on a Nintendo.

Electronic music is mos definately cutting edge. It is continually creating new worlds of sound. I for one love a lot of the electronic music coming out. I'm not one to really hate any flavor of music although I happen to dislike a lot of country music. But, I've noticed that some of the best musicians play country music.I think the major difference between electronic instruments and other instruments (strings, woodwinds, drums, etc) is that in electronic instruments the sound that is produced was already pre-recorded or predefined whereas in an instrument such as a guitar there is much more of a personal "touch" that defines the sound. What I mean by all this is that with the guitar there is a much more "real" interaction between the musician and the instrument at the moment a note is played. The sound that is produced by the guitar is often refered to as more "real" because it depends on the intention of the musician at that moment (i.e. the characteristics of the sound produced depends on how the guitarist strikes the strings). I think the reason why a lot of people prefer live bands with traditional band instruments is because they feel as though it is a more "real" connection.However, you could argue that anyone that is playing any sort of instrument, and thereby interacting with it, is creating a very real and unique music.In my opinion, I think what it all really comes down to is preference. People just prefer what they prefer, I guess.Oh and I just want to say that this is a challenging topic to write about and I would enjoy any criticism or additions.

First, I want to say this is a good topic. Second, I agree with what's been said so far so I'll try not to repeat. From my own experience playing the guitar I can get lost in my playing and feel a connection between my emotions and my playing. It's a very personal thing that can't be duplicated by something that's programmed or on a groove track. One thing that I've found however is that my music on an instrument like the guitar is limited to my talent as a player. This isn't necessarily the case with dance music or synthesized music because by its very nature you can explore different sounds, moods, tempos, settings, etc. In other words, it seems to have been created to force you to expand your music ability and at times with very little musical talent at all. Does this make sense? :) Personally, I will go see a live band before I go to a club...not simply because I'm well past the club scene :rolleyes: but because I would rather spend my money on a group that makes a living out of entertaining others. I think there are too many DJ's taking money away from groups because they can bid a lower price to the establishment. Also, when I was growing up my dad played in a country and western band and I have fond memories of watching him play and was fortunate to play with him on stage.The important thing to remember is that no matter what form music comes in its main purpose is to entertain. Well, I hope I didn't confuse you even more with my ramblin'...Take Care,Amadeus Mozart :)

First, I want to say this is a good topic.  Second, I agree with what's been said so far so I'll try not to repeat.  From my own experience playing the guitar I can get lost in my playing and feel a connection between my emotions and my playing.  It's a very personal thing that can't be duplicated by something that's programmed or on a groove track.  One thing that I've found however is that my music on an instrument like the guitar is limited to my talent as a player.  This isn't necessarily the case with dance music or synthesized music because by its very nature you can explore different sounds, moods, tempos, settings, etc.  In other words, it seems to have been created to force you to expand your music ability and at times with very little musical talent at all.  Does this make sense?  :D Personally, I will go see a live band before I go to a club...not simply because I'm well past the club scene  :P but because I would rather spend my money on a group that makes a living out of entertaining others.  I think there are too many DJ's taking money away from groups because they can bid a lower price to the establishment.  Also, when I was growing up my dad played in a country and western band and I have fond memories of watching him play and was fortunate to play with him on stage.

The important thing to remember is that no matter what form music comes in its main purpose is to entertain.  Well, I hope I didn't confuse you even more with my ramblin'...

Take Care,

Amadeus Mozart  B)

41494[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmmmyou guys all have really good points. and to even look at what a live musician does in these days is programmed.. in the studio anywayi mean if ya buy a cd ...an artist will go in...record a riff...if that riff is good...he can loop that riff....so he doesnt have to play it againsame with drums and basseven some vocals or background vocalsso how true is live musicians albums as opposed to a "electronic" albumthere is a very fine line between what is real and what isnt anyway

Yeah...I would say I prefer live music. I know that it's probably not as perfect as the electronic one. But it's live. It's professional.The thing is music has turned to be quite electronic, I feel.I have done some recording in a studio....and have observed some being done.It's like there's nothing real in there. Even the singing can be changed completely.They can put vibrato (even when the singer can't do it) by just telling the computer to do it. Or if anyone goes out of tune, just moving their mouse ,the controller can tune on the computer. So singers don't even have to be good. Or.....alternatively, you can sing one sentence. Then have a break, and sing another one sentence and have a break. Soo...it's just not real when we come to know what's behind it. (so I would say I prefer live music) :P

They can put vibrato (even when the singer can't do it) by just telling the computer to do it. Or if anyone goes out of tune, just moving their mouse ,the controller can tune on the computer. So singers don't even have to be good.

I wonder how long it will be before they can do this in real time. In such an application the computer would correlate the song to the known piece of music figure out what note the person is signing and adjust the pitch accordingly.

I rekon electronic dance music is just as good as normal bands , as a synthersizer and vst's etc used to make the sounds are just todays instruments people say its to computerized or whatever and its not natural and that everything these days are done with computers bla bla but if the computer and synthesizers and other electronic music tools/ instruments was invented bak when the guitar and other instruments were invented then poeople would of used it to make music back then as it owuld of been anohter instrument tool to make music every year and generations etc things change more things get invented that we would never think of could ever be invented all these tools are just the new age instruments just because they wernt made in the old days doesnt not make them instruments or not good I love all music bands included veryt alented how they perform live but all music is good not just live acts , plus alot of producer play piano and do perform remixes and songs as a live act sometimes haha

I think electronic music is just as good as music made by live bands as the computer and synthersizer and other new electronic devices are the new age instruments and tools and the sounds they produce are just as powerful and meaningful as other instruments people complain and say its not real its to computerised or whatever but as generations and years go past new inventions and tools etc are made that poeple could of never imagined computers and other programs and electronic instruments vst's etc are just the new age instruments if these inventions were made bak when guitars and other insturments were made then people would of definately used these tools to make msic it just because they wernt made bak then that poeple didnt use them its all music no matter what genre every1 should appreciate it I still love live bands and how talented it is to perform live but alot of producers do play piano in real life so they tend to remix and perform on the synthesizers in real time live and if it wasnt for electronics live bands wuldnt be able to perform there music in front of thousands or put out albums worthy for good speakers

Well, what do you mean by electronic, because we have an electric guitar there and if is this that you mean, than the answers are different. In my opinion, to see a real force or power of a band is their ability to play music live from concerts to show. It is possible to make listen to the studio version of a song and like it very much and then listen to the band live and feel awful.I prefer lots of artists such as Jimmy Hendrix, or John Mayer, Guns n' Roses, and the sound of clean guitars and creative songs. Yes, there might be some kind of amazing electronic or computer made songs, but live and original songs created by instruments give you some real good self satisfy. I play guitar myself and I preferably like guitar based songs. Imagine some songs such as Nothing else matters just nowadays sound cool.

The word 'electronic' is pretty general.Some people resent the fact that a lot of music is sampled.Sampling means rehashing previously recorded music.Some say for integrities sake all music should be recorded completelynew. It's never a perfect world though.Too much sampling leads to repetition and not only that,somebody can use an orchestra from a computer keyboard,without knowing the first thing about playing a musical instrument.A lot of musicians resent this.

I have, admittedly, enjoyed techno and electronically-enhanced music at certain times. However, when one has a skilled bassist for a step-father, one is consequently spoiled when it comes to the real thing. There is, simply and absolutely, an obvious difference in quality and skill required to create one type of music over the other... which is not to say that the former is not deserving of some credit. But, even I could churn something electronic out, and I don't know the first thing about being a real musician (the most advanced thing I know is what an octave is :XD:).

The most appealing thing, in my opinion, about techno/electronic music is that it is easy to hide mistakes and make them sound good. You don't have to be a musician, you just need to be good with manipulating sound programs (or know someone who is).

There's my two cents on the issue. Take care, folks!

:lol:

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

I agree to you, but the problem is that real music is not gaining such a success when it comes for commercial purposes, and such bands like 50cent or any similar are being famous. Being able to make music is such a difficult work, which needs lots of years of education and dedication through theory and practice. And yet you need to have lots of talent to create music. Creating music is a thing I can do for certain, but I mean music that can sell discs and earn real cash.