xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jopak134

What's The Real Minimum Requirement Of Vista such as processors but mainly the ram

have heard that vista can only handle 3gig of ram. is this true?i have heard also that vista cannot run smoothly on a 1gig ram pc. is this true?i'll be buying a desktop and a laptop in a month and my budget is not that big. one will suffer if i add more to one and i'm trying to maintain a balance.my option is to buy a 1 gig ram laptop and beef up the desktop but i don't want a slow laptop also.anyone who has an experience on using a vista and a xp with the same softwares. is there a difference.

Vista x32 can handle 3.5Gbs while Vista x64 can handle 4gb. Well if you get Vista Home basic and strip it down to just a basic operating system then yeah it will run smoothly. Other then that you want at least 2 gigs to handle the vista load after you install it. If your smart I sink your money into the laptop and then build your desktop to save money if your looking for the right parts I start out with my topic that I created when I build my computer, a slight warning they may not be listed on newegg anymore.

Well in reality Vista with Aero can run fine with 1 gig of ram and an Intel GMA 950 for god's sake! It's just that the other programs and unnecessary services bog it down. I like it more than XP. It's really stable now after Service Pack 1

My computer ran pretty smoothly with Vista Home Premium running Aero on 1 GB of ram. It lagged a bit though, and half of my RAM was constantly being used by Vista. You don't have to have 3gigs of RAM, but more than a gig would be best. Especially if you are going to run multiple applications at once.

I ran Vista Ultimate very cleanly on 512 mb ram ,with aero , flip 3d ,etc, but now i run it on 2 GB and there's no big difference . The official system requirements are very real indeed : 800 mHz processor / 512 Mb ram / 32 mb graphic card /20 GB hdd . The 32 bits version of vista can handle 4 GB ram but the 64 bits version can handle up to 128 GB ram for Business, Enterprise and Ultimate .

You will never be able to appreciate Vista if you go with its minimum requirements.All i know is, If you really wanted to appreciate the power of Vista, You should have a minimum RAM of 1Gb and have enough virtual memory in the HDD. You should also have a good display for so many things to be good in your system which i am sure you want...All the above things of mine are words of Wisdom :) from my past 1 year of Vista usage. :D

I can agree somewhat that any new computer today could handle vista on 1gig of RAM and thats if the computer is nothing more then sending emails and surfing the net and using the built in problems to type documes or **cough** design graphics. However, coolcat makes two good points; first one being that Vista is taking half the RAM and then some already and of course that leads into point two about running multiple programs you need the RAM to cover the slow downs. Of course I will mention this that if you use the usb flash stick method for helping speed up your computer, it is not adding RAM but it will help free up some room and speed programs up.

well for an update i have some lend my some money and this is what i gotlaptop dual core 4mb cache 2.0+ghz(can't remember), 4gb ram, and a 8600 nvidia video card. at first glance im worried that its slow because half of ram is used by vista. but as the updates arrived, its only 20-30% i think.don't need to power down some stuff but i know it will come. :) really happy about it

Windows Vista vs Windows XPWhat's The Real Minimum Requirement Of Vista

To utilize a Windows XP SP3 minimum to look good you need a 1Gh CPU AMD or Pentium

You need a 512 MB RAM - to look good, and you need a Hard Drive with a 16MB buffer

By Microsoft ® minimum is Pentium 266 and 128MB Ram HD with a 2MB buffer

For Win Vista to look good you need a 2 GB RAM and 2.4Gh CPU With a 16MB HD.

Windows Vista is the best with 4GB RAM 32MB buffer on the  hard drive and a CPU that is 3Gh plus dual and quad core cpus are OK if there speed is 2.8Gh and up. This is for X86 OS.

X64 Operation System is totally different story.

My Windows Vista Ultimate is 16GB DDR2-800,  four AMD Opteron 8-way quad core CPU's.  Two hardware RAID controllers. RAID 1 hosting RAID 50 on five1TB 32MB buffer Hard Drives. The second RAID hosting RAID 10 on four 1.5TB 32MB buffer Hard Drive's. The motherboard is Supermicro intended for servers, But has a Windows Vista X64 Drivers, and has a PCI-Express x16 Slot. The RAID controllers are by 3Ware. This is excellent entertainment PC. This is pretty fast computer/entertainment center. Only one problem - cooling.

I use four 120Volt quiet fans on the back of the shelf to get the air out from the 3U server box. Good lack with your set up.

-reply by Paul

If you really run Vista with Aero ONLY, and do not running another monster software like MS Office, I found it runs fairly smooth at Intel Core Duo T2050 (1.6GHz) and 1GB RAM.

In addition, a standard 32-bit (XP/Vista) PC supports 4GB RAM in spec, about 3GB RAM in practice, and may support 4GB RAM when PAE is enabled (but actually not in 32-bit Vista). Geoff Chappell stated that 32bit Vista would fully support 4GB RAM after modding the OS kernel. (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but I and the author are NOT responsible for ANY POTENTIAL DAMAGE caused if you dare to do so).

On other hand, 64bit Windows supports up to 8GB (Vista Home Basic) to 128GB (Vista Business/Enterpise/Ultimate) installed RAM.

Memory usage and requirementsWhat's The Real Minimum Requirement Of Vista

Any 32 bit client version of Windows will be limited to about 3-3.5 GB of RAM, depending on your hardware. This is really a hardware issue and not a limitation of Vista. On these systems the total address space is 4GB but this must be shared with memory mapped hardware devices. With 3GB or less of RAM there will almost always be room for both but with 4GB a conflict is inevitable.

Most server operating systems do have a solution for this problem and can support a full 4GB of RAM. The problem is that many popular hardware devices fail badly in such an environment. Microsoft decided that hardware compatibility was more important in a consumer OS. I believe they made a wise decision.

A 64 bit OS does not have the limitations outlined above and can support a full 4GB of RAM or much more, depending on the OS edition. This assumes that you have compatible hardware.

Vista and Windows 7 can run smoothly with 1GB of RAM but this is highly dependent on what you are doing. But with current prices for RAM it would be rather silly to do this.

Larry Miller

Microsoft MCSA

-reply by Larry Miller