xisto Community
Imtay22

Shoutcast Radio On Trap17 Possible?

When I get my hosting here (again), will it be possible to host a shoutcast radio on the site? I was wondering because I really wanted to set up a radio and those other free hosting sites wouldn't let me. Thanks!

If its legal, chances are you can do it, I can't speak for Xisto but I doubt there is any problem with it in the readme. Hope that helps.also is it legal to provide music for listening on a site (so long as people can't download it and a terms of use thing)? i dont know...edit: i did some research and found out it's illegal to do so, your supposed to have a liscense. However, nothing will happen. Think of it as downloading stuff from limewire, illegal yes... but no one cares. worse comes to worse they will ask you to take it down or else, then you just take it down, no worries. But I think you should ask Opaque or an Xisto Member since it's free hosting and everything. But I quite like the idea, my friend has something silular and he's okay, i might consider doing something simular except without the music, i just mean making a radio thing to stream it.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

There is nothing against it in the readme, but you need to show consideration for other users. You have a bandwidth limit, and a radio streaming site will likely get through that bandwidth limit incredibly quickly. You will need to use a low quality stream, and strictly limit the number of people who can listen at any one time.

edit: i did some research and found out it's illegal to do so, your supposed to have a liscense. However, nothing will happen. Think of it as downloading stuff from limewire, illegal yes... but no one cares. worse comes to worse they will ask you to take it down or else, then you just take it down, no worries.

Certainly not the best advice in the world :)

To use copyrighted music on an Internet radio station, you need to be paying royalty fees to the artists, usually via a recording artists representative group. For example, in the UK, this is handled by Phonographic Performance Limited, and a licence is required for an Internet radio station broadcasting copyrighted music.

If your account is found to be being used for anything illegal, then it is likely to be deleted with no warning. You have been warned, so play by the rules.

Certainly not the best advice in the world tongue.gif

My lack of care towards software ownership is apparent then ? :)

No, im saying that he should ask the Admins, first. As I said the radio stations from shoutcast dont really get shut down, there too small, its not worth these company's sueing you for the Ł3 you may have made from playing the copyrighted music.

Well as some have said, bandwidth is the key. Truth your best bet would be hosting through shoutcast honestly. I have done that in the past. Also you have to remember to pay your royalty fee's. thats the most inportant part.Good luck