xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
thorne

Chocolate Some facts about this beloved food :)

Lots of people cite chocolate as their favorite food, and even those who don't still love it! Here is some information you may not have known about chocolate:Making chocolate:Chocolate is made from cacao seeds. The seeds are harvested by hand and allowed to ferment. They are then roasted and the nibs are ground into a paste called chocolate liquor which is made up of cocoa butter and cocoa solids. Some chocolate liquor is pressed, separating the cocoa butter from the cocoa solids. Milk, sugar, and extra cocoa butter is mixed with unpressed chocolate liquor and is churned until it becomes a coarse, brown powder called ?crumb.? The chocolate is crushed until smooth. It is then cooled and warmed repeatedly, a process called tempering which gives chocolate its glossy shine and ensures that it will melt properly.A brief history:The Maya created a bitter and spicy drink called xocoatl from cacao seeds, which were also used as currency and burned as incense. They traded cacao with the Aztecs. In 1528, Hernando Cortes, who had come to conquer the Aztecs, took cacao to Spain. The Spanish added sugar to it since they thought it was too bitter, and they kept their creation to themselves for almost 100 years. Eventually the rest of Europe found out about it, and it became a symbol of wealth and power since only the rich could afford it. By the 1800?s, chocolate was mass produced and became available to more people.Contents of chocolate:Chocolate is a good source of potassium, phosphorous, zinc, copper, chromium, and manganese. 93% of the iron in chocolate is useable, making it one of the most iron-rich foods. It also has a low sodium level. It contains antioxidants which protect the body against cancers and slow the effects of aging. The fat content can raise levels of good cholesterol, and oleic acid, which makes up two thirds of the fat in chocolate, can lower breast cancer rates. Although chocolate contains sugar, its glycemic index is low so it releases sugar into the body slowly, allowing the cells to use it for energy instead of storing it as fat.Anyone have any interesting/delicious chocolate recipes to share?

And to think the whole time, I've been trying to suppress my love for chocolate because of fear for health implications. Thanks for the info, especially the stuff about the health benefits. I honestly didn't know this. Lowered breast cancer rates is a gift to women!

I've heard that chocolate is "healthy" in moderation, as long as you stick to the dark stuff. Milk chocolate is mostly sugar and fat, and white chocolate doesn't contain any of the cocoa which gives chocolate its nutrition boost. The author of SuperFoods Rx recommends no less than 70% cacoa dark chocolate, just 100 calories a day. I like to have it as a nice treat after dinner, and I find that it is more satisfying and delicious than a bowl or ice cream or a piece of cake. Chocolate is amazing!

Anyone have any interesting/delicious chocolate recipes to share?

One I saw recently in one of our recepie books that looked interesting and pretty yum was for Chocolate Fudge. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

450g Chocolate

400g Condensed milk

50g Butter

Line the base and sides of a square cake tin with foil or baking paper.

Chop the chocolate up into small pieces

Put the chocolate, condensed milk and butter into a medium saucepan and stir them over a low het. Continue until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.

Pour the mixture into the cake tine and smooth the surface with a spatulay or flat-bladed knife

Put the tin in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until the fudge is firm

Take out of tin and cut into piece.

Servers about 60 pieces (depending on how yu cut them)

Well chocolate is also anti depressant. Give it to some one and that person will love that always. Chocolate has the antidepressant ingredients. Ones that have high content of cocoa are the best. Also useful to get rid of bad habits like smoking and chewing of tobacco. However chocolate with liquor is a bit dangerous.

You know, I am really glad that they occasionally come up with some study that says chocolate is good for you. Eases the guilt. Cause you know what? I don't care if it is good for you or not! I am going to eat it. Lots of it! Dark, light, milk, sugar, who cares! I like it all and I will eat it all! Every bite. :lol:

I just love having a peace of dark chocolate with a cup of coffee, I don't like other ones because they are so sweat it makes me feel ill.Did you that chocolate flavor is someting that many food industry companies have tried to manipulate without any success. Chocolate has more than 1000 flavors in it which make that lovely flavor everyone likes. Experts have tried to mix these flavors from different sources than cocoa seeds, but they found out that many of the indegriends are not found anywhere else than the seeds. It's a good thing you know, I would never like to see "diet chocolate with xylitol" in shops.