xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inhuman

1 Terabyte Of Data On A Thumb Drive Yes, a whole terabyte

1TB thumb drive??? thats a good thing it will have great benefit for us all no ram no hard drives it will save alot of space in the future but these things are not still reliable in keeping in a good state and if you have such huge memory on them then you stand the chance of looseing more of you saved data if its dropped or lost or so on i would be to nervouse to take my thumb drive anywhere with that amount of my data on

That's pretty cool. Of course, it's more than I'd probably need in a long time, but hey, games and programs are getting bigger and bigger. Speaking of which, I wonder if you can run games off of it. It would be really need to have a whole load of games on a tiny thumb drive, and be able to pop it into a computer anywhere and just start playing. Flash drives are usually way to slow to do that, but I wonder if this one could pull it off... Hm...

Wow.. One TB on a thumbdrive... I thought the biggest one so far is like 16 GB's!I love thumbdrives because they have no moving parts, but at the same time I've heard of some of them "losing" information easily. I don't really know if I would trust one with a full TB of my information on it (unless it was like a backup or something).

Over the last few years advancements in Hard Drive technology, and USB storage have risen. I remember when a 128mb USB Stick was the must have item. Now people talk about how they have SSD's that exceed in 400gb, and are only the size of a small pack of cards. The creation of a 1TB USB Drive will eventually become a reality.

Edited by cicala (see edit history)

Over the last few years advancements in Hard Drive technology, and USB storage have risen. I remember when a 128mb USB Stick was the must have item. Now people talk about how they have SSD's that exceed in 400gb, and are only the size of a small pack of cards. The creation of a 1TB USB Drive will eventually become a reality.

I still remember when a 32 MB thumb drive was so expensive I couldn't afford one.

Actually, I found a receipt not too long ago from a 128 MB Compact Flash card I bought (About 4-5 years ago) that was $139.99

Now you can get 32 GB ones for under $50, heh.

Disposable computers in the near future?1 Terabyte Of Data On A Thumb DriveThis is a great invention and yes spudd you will be able to run programs off of this type of solid state storage. This in combination with .Iso files could completely eliminate the need for a cd/dvd rom and harddrive all together allowing computers to become incredibly small and portable. Imagine you could have all of your computers operating system data and applications/programs on a flash drive leaving your computer virtual blank serving as just a platform for which to view all of this information. Using .Iso files instead of cd/dvd roms the possibility of a fully funtioning pc the size of an ipod touch with nothing but a usb port seems realistic what I'm saying is imagine if your entire computer was stored on a flash drive and the computer itself becomes just interface/viewing platform like a tv. Then you could just walk up to any random computer plug your flash drive into it and have every program and setting just as it appears on your computer at home. Disposable PCs anyone?-reply by Gonzo

While I know that I'll never need 1 TB, I would like to have one just to show it off to all my friends "I have more memory in the palm of my hands then all your laptops combined!"-reply by James

Terabyte drives Thumbdrives not unreasonabe1 Terabyte Of Data On A Thumb DriveReplying to KansukeKojimaI have been a computer user for the past 25 year or so and I can remember when users thought that a forty meg hard drive could never be filled up. Now we are easily filling up 500 gigabyte drives. My point being is that eventually a 1 terabyte drive could become as common as our 4 gigabyte thumb drives are now.-reply by Steven Raphael

well some people have operating systems on their flashdrive, so its like a more portable laptop. Smaller than the notepads, and they can be used on almost all computers. I currently have a 16 gig flashdrive ($54 and I just bought it march 12 2010 at walmart)

I have BackTrack4 as my OS, and I'm getting it set up now to use anywhere I want to.

if we had as much memory as a terabyte on our flashdrives than we can get any program on our flashdrive and we can...Well...Do almost anything.

just imagine having your computer in your pocket, yes you have to plug it into a computer to get it to work, but its better than any other computer that a normal person has.

There is a protein based flash drive the has 50 terabytes of storage and is the same size as your average portable flash drive. I did some research and back in 2007 the release date was in less than 18 months, now it is 2011 and the release date is still less than 18 months...