xisto Community
buherath

Interval Training Or Cardio?

Cardio or High Intensity Interval Training?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recently there has been a big breakthrough in the fitness industry about cardio exercises and Interval training. Which burns more fat? Well, According to the latest research High intensity interval training burns more fat than doing cardio exercises for a long time.High intensity interval training is doing high intensity exercises. Instead of the long slow boring cardio, you do exercises with a lot of resistance during a lesser amount of time. This seems to be much more effective in burning fat.State your views on this.

I believe that short high intensity exercises are better than just flat cardio, even if the cardio is for like 45mins. I have done some interval trainings that kicked my butt which involved short 15 sec bursts of 75% my body weight (190lbs), then baseline of like 35%. I find that exercise much more fulfilling than a plain cardio or even a hill interval. Pretty soon your body is going to get used to the resistance, so it's important to always push it. I find that the short interval "bursts" are a great way to push yourself and stay fit. Also like mentioned above, you don't need to necessarily work out as long either. I saw a study on tv once where they proved that just short bursts of exercise was more beneficial than long mediocore pace. This supports the burst interval theory talked about in this thread.

The thing with high intensity exercise is that you have to be extra careful not to overdo it. It's much easier to overtax your body doing higher intensity than at a more mediocre pace. I think interval training is great for people who know what they are doing and are serious about getting fit. Those who are still in the beginning stages of an exercise plan should be careful though and probably stick to one of the "boring" cardio routines until they are more experienced.

I agree with HIIT (high intensity interval training) -- it makes sense because it forces your body to constantly adapt to new contidions. thats one of the most basic principals of exercise... change up the rutine, so the body is constantly forced to adapt and overcome, then once it does get used to something, you change it and force it to exert more energy to adapt again--- only for you to change it up again! there fore it makes sense that HIIT would burn way more fat and calories than regular cardio... there was also a similar study that suggested that HIIT would better preserve lean muscle than regular cardio, which is very good for those of you out there looking to put on every ounce of muscle possible!

I guess a good example to support the point would be how sprinters and short-distance runners have better tendency to build and retain muscle mass compared to long distance runners or even marathoners.