xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
oxida

Cd's My urks about CDs

What urks me about CD's are the following: 1. Those #$%! stickers they put on the spines of CDs. These things are ANNOYING. You rip them off, only to have some sticky RESIDUE left on your case, which quickly collects all sorts of dirt, and grime, and for some reason, CAT HAIR, from a cat you don't own! It's ANNOYING!2. DIGIPAKS. These are CDs whose actual case is a flimsy piece of cardboard with PRINTED GRAPHICS ON IT. "Well, what's wrong with that?" Well, for one, the whole case (which is also the album art) is now easily susceptible to all sorts of wear and tear. "Well, we're saving the environment by using biodegradable packaging." *BLEEP*. Paper is cheaper than plastic. That's why they manufacture them. 3. Security tags that are not only inside the CD case, but are actually stuck ON the artwork itself. Then, when you try to remove it, your @#$% CD artwork is either warped, or ripped, and is now COMPLETELY RUINED! This needs to be outlawed. Put a @#$% security tag on a blank piece of paper and stick it inside the booklet! Simple! Stop ruining my album artwork!And then the record companies wonder why no one is buying CDs anymore. No one is buying them because they completely took the fun out of owning CDs! If you want to increase sales, stop with the packaging, get rid of those top spine stickers, and those idiotic security tags, and the copyright protection crap that srews up your computer! And more importantly, sign some good bands!! No one is going to buy CDs from bands that s#$k! Don't make me go back to vinyl! @#$% you all!So this was my Vent of the day.Hope I didn't used to fowl language.

Whats wrong with vinyl?
Other than the fact it is basically impossible to be portable with

There is nothing wrong with vinyl (I love vinyl). There are no stickers/security tags on it.
And Why should it be portable when there are mp3 players :D .

Whats your problem? :DI order Cds all the time. It is a little annoying to get all the packaging off, but I don't think it is that big of a deal, and getting the cd far outweighs the trials of opening packages.I've got 4 cds I'm waiting for in the mail by the way:Frost Like Ashes - Born To PiecesPrimitive Graven Image - Traversing the Awesome NightSorrowstorm - OnwardNorther Ash - Age of Irrationality

Whats your problem? :D
I order Cds all the time. It is a little annoying to get all the packaging off, but I don't think it is that big of a deal, and getting the cd far outweighs the trials of opening packages.

I've got 4 cds I'm waiting for in the mail by the way:
Frost Like Ashes - Born To Pieces
Primitive Graven Image - Traversing the Awesome Night
Sorrowstorm - Onward
Norther Ash - Age of Irrationality

Another potential rant right there -- the long time it takes to deliver CD's.

I wouldn't know about the packaging problem -- alll the CD's I buy are simply in a case. No security or branding stickers whatsoever.

Another potential rant right there -- the long time it takes to deliver CD's.

I wouldn't know about the packaging problem -- alll the CD's I buy are simply in a case. No security or branding stickers whatsoever.

Whatever! I love getting a package in the mail! I'm so excited I just want to tear into it like a rabid dog! I think that because it takes so long, I can enjoy the CD much more than if I just downloaded it or something.

Also.. most of the CDs I buy (actually... pretty much all of them) are through online stores, so they don't really have all that much security packaging.

And then the record companies wonder why no one is buying CDs anymore. No one is buying them because they completely took the fun out of owning CDs!

What? I really do not get this. For me it has always been the music itself that is important. I do not mind removing packaging, stickers and such from them; the music is what matters. It is always fun to be able to just pop a CD into the CD-player. It is different from just pushing the "play" button on your computer or your mp3. Sometimes I take a look on my CD's, and it brings back memories. "Wow, did not my brother burn this for me?" "Haha, I remember that song, we always used to dance to it!"

It can be annoying. I do not really go to the store and buy CD's anymore, but my relatives tend to go the easy way and buy me a gift certificate to my birthday or to Christmas. They could place the stickers in a better way, not in the middle of the whole thing. I have never ordered CD's online. And about the "Why people do not buy CD's anymore", I would say it takes time. It is easier to buy a song or album on iTunes (or something similar) then going to the record store and buy it.

I assume the packaging is to protect the CD's. Because we do not want them to get broken or smashed in the mail?

In the end I do not care. The music matters, not the covers. If you hate the CD covers being full of glue and stickers than buy some blank covers and simply change them. It is not harder that that you see. :D

What annoys me the most about CDs is probably the fact that they can wear out. If you play them enough (which would have to be a lot a lot a lot of times), CD players will no longer be able to read the disc. And that's where a computer can be a lifesaver. Anytime you get a CD, back your songs up on the computer because CDs do get damaged, which is another one of my annoyances with them. CDs can become damaged so easily. One fumble when putting the disc in its case or CD player and then its scratch, and the song is never the same again. It's a shame. CDs really need a more protective coating on them if they're going to stay in the fight verse digital music files. Another thing that annoys me about CDs is the fact that if you start a song in the CD player, it does not start the song from where you left off. Instead, it restarts from the beginning of the entire album. It's a bit of a pain, but I can see how that wouldn't annoy everyone. Under these circumstances, you can clearly see that CDs are worse than digital music files. CDs take up a lot more physical space to store where as digital music files only take up room on your harddrive, meaning no physical space is needed. Digital music files also allow you the option of choosing which songs you would like to purchase. I'm pretty sure everyone has a CD with at least one or two songs they could care less about. With digital music files, you can select which songs you want to purchase, allowing you to spend your money more conservatively and also purchase songs that you would not have bought if you had to purchase the entire album. Sorry if my rant about my annoyances with CDs was too long. Hopefully it will be able to spark some discussion within this thread and earn folks some more credits.

Well, in the music stores here in the netherlands they put alot of stickers on it like, off sale 50%, warining cointains explicit content, etc etc.Once I had a CD with at least 5 stickers on it.And the reason I complain about i,t are those cd covers, the images they put on there are mostley reflection of the music they made. An I just like the album art and the music.But yeah it is just my personal opinion. Every-one things different about that.

You know what, CDs sometimes annoy me too, but it's better than buying stuff on cassette tape ;). I mean, seriously, more portable, better sound, it can be easily digitized... I mean, sure, you can sit here and rant about CDs, but to me the inconveniences of them are far outweighed by the positives. At the end of the day, I buy CDs to listen to music, and I can clean off the stickers and stuff if I want to enjoy the artwork.I will agree though, the stickers bother me.

Edited by cangor (see edit history)

Yeah idd, also a lot of people put theire cd's in a cd folder and trow theire cd covers somewhere in a box.I've got almost 430 cd's and I have them all in a cd folder and the cd covers in special cd case.Altough I should think of another way to store my cd's. (cd folders make scratches)