xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chriso_cd

Gaining Weight (the Good Kind!)

want to not be skinny? want to be big and muscular but not fat? squats and milk is the way to go!!

a simple but effective way to gain size, strength, but not fat; all you have to do is a few simple basic exercises, and drink alot of milk (1%) and eat alot of peanut butter!

so here it is...... the beast of all lifts, the king of all lifts-- the squat--- the answer to all of your skinny problems!

in particular, its the 20 rep squat--- ill warn you, this is not for the faint hearted! it will hurt, but, hey, no pain, no gain! so what you do is you load up a bar with about 2/3 the max amount of weight you can lift, and you squat it for 20 reps! if you dont know what a squat is, check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/, to see some examples... but thats it! all you have to do is a grueling set of 20 squats and some pushups till you drop, every other day for a month, and i gaurentee you will gain a load of muscle, and strength! now this ISNT easy though, it will hurt like nothing in the world to make 20 reps if you have the proper amount of weight on the bar.... it isnt supposed to be easy by no means..... one tip, if your not pouring sweat by your 7th rep, or not wanting to puke your guts out by your 14th rep, then your not doing it right!!!!!

so in conclusion, this work out every other day, every week, for a month; drink about a gallon or more of milk and jars apon jars of peanutbutter after the work out, and watch the muscle grow!!!!

Well I'm I can't drink milk, it makes me throw up, and can't stand peanut butter. In fact I can't stand exersize either. So I don't think this is for me, I keep my weight down as best I can by walking and cycling and thats about it. Oh and P.E. once a week!

Kobra-- Protein shakes and protein bars are the way to go then. I drink my protein shakes with water. They're not the tastiest thing in the world, but if you can guzzle them down quickly, it should be pretty painless. If you are completely against dairy products you might think about taking a calcium supplement. chriso is right about the milk and peanut butter, simply because thats alot of protein and calcium. They also sell weight gainer shakes. But I tend to veer away from those because depending on your metabolism they can make you gain fat.

yup, muscle is the quality weight you can gain. but I don't think that squats alone is the best way to do it cuz that will concentrate the muscle gain in your legs and thighs and leave your upper body skinny. So the way I see it, it's best to join a weight lifting/bodybuilding program that will make you a muscled beast! My friend joined the gym I go to 10 months ago, when he started he was 55 kg only! now he's around 67 kg... but of course he had to take some protein shakes and supplements because his body's metabolism is so high and he couldn't build up muscles easily. So here's the best way to gain quality weight: a full weight lifting program, decent food (if you are too skinny you can eat as much as you want of carbs, rice, meat... etc but stay away from sweets and lipids/fats), protein shakes and supplements, 10 min cardio exercises to stay in a good carved muscled shape. that's it, try that and I'm sure you'll thank me... :D

It's different for everybody however. I'm fairly skinny, I hate it. I'm fairly strong though yet struggle to put on weight. All I drink is milk. I'll get through roughly around 5 pints of milk per day. Being skinny is awful in so many ways, I'm 16, 5'10 and only around 8 and a half stone. Tried a few things but nothing ever seems to work.

a nice guide, ill try that out im stuck on 55kg for three years and now im 16,172cm tall physically fit but not stamina. i tried eating more but still stuck, i'll only either grow even skinnier or maintain at my size.i'm already thinking of consuming some fattening pills>.<

Ive always had a stocky build, but have helped friends gain weight at the gym. The above tips about protein shakes and squats are all very good. Also try eating just high protein foods in general. Steak, eggs, chicken, fish..those will all get you some good nutrients to grow a good frame.

Okay what I understand is that most of you guys are very skinny and sick of it and just need to do anything to gain some pounds. Well, people who are very skinny and eat too much but never gain weight have high metabolic rates, which means no matter how much you eat, your body will burn it all in a matter of few hours. So, stop trying to gain weight by eating and drinking milk and all this stuff... and most importantly STAY AWAY FROM FATTENING PILLS!! All pills are bad no matter what they tell you about them. Instead of hoping that you would gain 15 pounds over night, join a gym and build up some muscles! And since you're skinny with a high metabolic rate then you NEED to take protein shakes and supplements. That's all I can say because I've seen alot of skinny people who tried hard and never got anywhere... but those at the gym I go to are starting to gain some good weight, and that's what you should do as well :D

It's important to do a variety of weight lifting exercises when trying to build muscle, so that you get muscle added all over your body, not just one area. Proper nutrition is essential: LOTS of protein to build the muscles and good fats (monounsaturated) and carbohydrates (complex, "brown" starch, not sugar or refined starch) to give your body the energy to build this muscle. It is also vital to give your body plenty of rest. Yes, the workouts will be intense and hard, but you need to be sure you get adequate sleep at night and work different areas on different days instead of beating up the same muscles every day. When you lift, you are ripping apart your muscle, so you need to give your body a chance to use the protein you're consuming and build it back up again.You also need to watch the amount of cardio exercise you do. It is very important to do some for overall health and endurance, but if you overdo it, you'll be burning off the calories your body would otherwise use to build the muscle. As you build muscle, you also need to increase your diet, because unlike fat, muscle burns calories even when you're at rest. So as you get more muscle, you'll burn more energy just by living and breathing.Gaining weight...the good kind, course...can be just as difficult as losing weight. But with the right diet and weight listing regime, it is possible.

As I read above,

Gaining weight...the good kind, course...can be just as difficult as losing weight

.That is indeed true, but as I read earlier,someone saying not to be bothered about exercise, and can't eat this or that, well, I would rather be in their shoes than being overweight.
Both might not be good for people, but I just envy those who can eat and drink what they like without putting any weight on, while other people (like me) have to be so careful all the time not to pile the pounds on.
However, do try to balance your carbo hydrates and proteins if you are too thin, as it might also give you problems later in life.

I completely understand what you are saying, and I think that, even though our society (I'm American) tends to be overweight, there is such a stigma attached to it that being underweight doesn't have. So while both are unhealthy, being overweight causes ridicule and difficulties that being underweight doesn't necessarily cause. This is probably different for guys; it seems as if being considered skinny isn't so good for them, but from the female perspective, our society carries the notion that you can never be too skinny.And of course, whichever problem you don't have is probably the one you'd trade your own for :)