xisto Community
fadedmemory

Homosexuality And Depression Homosexuality and depression, and what can be done to help.

Are you homosexual? Have you suffered from depression?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Homosexuality and Depression:

I know from first hand experience how frustrating it can be growing up in a mainly heterosexual world and have dealt with many prejudices. Some people seem to prejudge us just by what we wear, or mannerisms, how our hair is cut and the car we drive. With all this prejudice in the world it can be even more tough if you are homosexual. The trick is to not care what other people think. I know, easier said than done... but if i can do it so can you.
Having trouble? Find a local support group. PFLAG (Parents and friends of lesbians and gays) is a great start if you are planning on coming out, or if you already have and need someone to talk to for advice, support and a shoulder to cry on. The also help parents and friends that are having a hard time with he fact that a loved one is gay. Another good resource is online support groups. The sometimes provide online counseling and live chat. Others are just forum based. Whichever way you decide to go it always helps to have someone to talk to when you get depressed.
Low income people may want to contact their local social services to find out if they are eligible for free or discounted therapy, counseling and other medical and mental health services. For example, my case manager directed me to the county mental health services and I got free therapy through my home county. She also provided me with information about how to get most of my medications free. Considering the fact that the program is saving me over $1300 a month in HIV and depression medications it's really a life saver.
I hope that this post is helpful to anyone that reads it. Do you have any questions, comments, suggestions or any contributions to this post? I, and anyone interested in this subject would love to hear them and we appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day!

Well I don't count myself as bisexual, bicurious maybe. I have been attracted to men before, phsically, personality wise, but not sexually. So since im not sexually attracted to men I don't count myself as bi especially because i'm a lot more attracted to women and not attracted sexaully. I've fancied loads of girls and about 2 guys sooo. Depressive, no. Like everyone I've been depressed but I'm not a depressive!As for gays, I love gay's great fun at parties :D plus my cousins gay, I hate homophobes!

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

that is really cool, me myself have no problem whatsowhever with gay people, i mean its their life, they can do whatever they want, but yea im as straight as it gets.. like i will do stuff that might look "bisexual" but its just for fun or dares, im not gonna go and marry a girl hahaas for depression, i know TO WRITE LOVE ON HER ARMS is a great cause, it offers online help and what not, if you need someone to talk to you can always call a deppresion hotline or something, or just open up to your bestfriend, because i know most people, are depressed but are embarresed by it.. specially here in california, where half the people will think you are an emo weirdo if you are deppressed

Homosexuality and Depression:

I know from first hand experience how frustrating it can be growing up in a mainly heterosexual world and have dealt with many prejudices. Some people seem to prejudge us just by what we wear, or mannerisms, how our hair is cut and the car we drive. With all this prejudice in the world it can be even more tough if you are homosexual. The trick is to not care what other people think. I know, easier said than done... but if i can do it so can you.

Having trouble? Find a local support group. PFLAG (Parents and friends of lesbians and gays) is a great start if you are planning on coming out, or if you already have and need someone to talk to for advice, support and a shoulder to cry on. The also help parents and friends that are having a hard time with he fact that a loved one is gay. Another good resource is online support groups. The sometimes provide online counseling and live chat. Others are just forum based. Whichever way you decide to go it always helps to have someone to talk to when you get depressed.

Low income people may want to contact their local social services to find out if they are eligible for free or discounted therapy, counseling and other medical and mental health services. For example, my case manager directed me to the county mental health services and I got free therapy through my home county. She also provided me with information about how to get most of my medications free. Considering the fact that the program is saving me over $1300 a month in HIV and depression medications it's really a life saver.

I hope that this post is helpful to anyone that reads it. Do you have any questions, comments, suggestions or any contributions to this post? I, and anyone interested in this subject would love to hear them and we appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day!

Nice topic buddy. I am not gay or bisexual or even bicurious. I'm totally straight but I'd like to comment on this topic. Well, first of all to be honest with you I do not like gays (although I like lesbians lol) but I just don't mind them because after all everyone is free to do whatever they want. And actually sometimes a gay guy would try to hit on me and it just keeps me laughing until they take it further and then I'd have to deal with it strictly because it might get annoying once I tell them that I'm in no way attracted to men and they just don't get it and thus keep on trying! There's a gay guy that lives in my neighborhood and you can NEVER distinguish him from a girl unless you look at him from a 2 m distance, cuz from further distance his make up, dressing, hair, actions and the way he laughs would totally deceive you. This guy is the laughing stock of the whole neighborhood and it shocks me that he doesn't really give a damn about it! Now, the only reason why I refuse the idea of homosexuality is because it opposes the normal system of nature since a male was created to be attracted and married to a female and not another male. Also I find it pretty much disgusting just to think about the fact that there's some guy in this world who would have sex with another guy! But in the end everyone is free to do whatever he wants and I can't change that, nor can anyone else.

Concerning counseling and advice and all this stuff... If you just want something for free you can join a social network like facebook for example and then go to some homosexuality groups, there are LOADS of them. You can find all the help and support you need there and you can even find a partner on there. So good luck finding whatever you search for :D

There's a gay guy that lives in my neighborhood and you can NEVER distinguish him from a girl unless you look at him from a 2 m distance, cuz from further distance his make up, dressing, hair, actions and the way he laughs would totally deceive you. This guy is the laughing stock of the whole neighborhood and it shocks me that he doesn't really give a damn about it! Now, the only reason why I refuse the idea of homosexuality is because it opposes the normal system of nature since a male was created to be attracted and married to a female and not another male. Also I find it pretty much disgusting just to think about the fact that there's some guy in this world who would have sex with another guy! But in the end everyone is free to do whatever he wants and I can't change that, nor can anyone else.

(I am also straight)
Just for the record, these behaviors may be the result of genetic variation, you know? :) The brain also undergoes sexual differentiation during fetal life, and neural plasticity also allows for some more after birth... so, it may not be just "whatever he wants". He may want it because he can't do otherwise (just like I can't stop being a straight guy).
Sexual differentiation is still under deep investigation :)

As for the depression, people will always tend to isolate gay people because they think they're freaks (a great example of ignorance!). They're deviated from what we are accustomed to, alright, but that doesn't mean it is their fault. It doesn't even mean it is bad! Sexuality is a range from almost black to almost white... there are NO absolute gay nor absolute straight people... If people were more informed of this kind of things, they would find it more normal :) You can all read up on these things after a little google search... The subject is actually quite interesting :)

P.S.: Many gay people isolate themselves by claiming that everyone is against them... show-offers :) All the other ones are fine... and perfectly aware of what they can and can't do, due to their "condition". And by condition I mean being "different" from the majority of people... It happens :)

Another P.S.: Social factors also contribute to sexual definition of oneself, obviously... I only roughly sketched the "genetic" factors :)

while i have no such desireI think that being gay is good though, it will lesser the population, but being bi is not good, since it brings the chance to produce more kids which will lead them to pain and suffering living in the world. Lets see how many human suffer today, though we might deny we are suffering or stress, but we can not run from the fact that we are burden from the cycle of life. We are brought to this world by our parents, for these reasons, we need to be filial, while we endure our life as human, we come across many things that we don't want, that's why Jesus said every human is a sinner, but the fact is we become more sin than ever. We are twisted in depression, in the competition, the world is like restless place. Many and many people that stress then become a homosexuality, or some kind of that, they are so poor.Homosexuality is a part of depression, which means that I cannot say they are that good either, for some reasons they have chosen to please the mother earth by not burdening it anymore, but they have violated the rule in the bible. While some maybe creating new babies every year, making the entire earth felt depressed, life is becoming more and more difficult, earning money is just as simple as you thought but not few countries that is suffering from hunger, lack of educations, and people is like to becoming wild and turn into homosexuality to find a place that accepts them. In some point of view a homosexual person must have chosen a difficult way, since they know the other partner can't reproduce and they are burden thinking about their future, like when they are old, they need someone to take care of them, though so, they still love the other partner, is there a reason why?

Homosexuality Homosexuality And Depression

Excuse me, but your opinion is VERY wrong. Homosexuality is NOT a choice. It's exactly the other way around. Homosexuality is the result of genetics and many other changes that can occur when a baby is in the womb. It's stupid to like lesbians and not gay men because you think two girl kissing each other is ''hot". Homophobia is nothing but ignorance, and some of the most homophobis people are queer themselves.

-reply by Mack Worthigton

I have to say, as I was reading this, I was totally shocked that it was dated 2008. There were far too many close minded, 1950's responses. Homosexuality is not a choice, they are not suffering from a "condition" and it's not wrong. The point of being gay is not to lessen the population, and children with gay parents only suffer because of homophobic society. The problem here, is the stigma created by straight people and the non-egalitarian ideology. Tolerance is something we preach, but not something all individuals are capable of practicing. Also, the idea of homophobic behavior is rapidly becoming very unacceptable in society. Time to start changing before society turns the tables and makes you the pariah.