xisto Community
chriso_cd

Updating Website, Ftp Problems

2 problems! a) how do i update my website??? like if i make changes to the code of say my index.html page, how do i make these changes take place on the website online?? :lol: how come my ftp uploads my files to a file under my public_html folder but also under a folder with my user name (public_html/username ) ??? this makes it so the url of my site isnt http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ anymore but http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ---- this makes no sence!!

Hmmm the top ones easy, just upload the new site and overwrite the old index page but the second one i have no idea about i use Firefox ftp plug in.

When you open up the ftp program, make sure that you navigate to the public_html folder before starting the uploads.Which ftp software are you using? Filezilla is good (and free), and I've also had good luck with Fireftp for Firefox2. Cuteftp, Smartftp, bunch of good ones available.

I've tried FileZilla but ikt times out. Is it my connection or what? I can see other site and even when Hotmail is loading the full version-It doesn't on a slow connection- I still get connection timed out. Could it be my firewall? What does it say if ports 2077 and 2078 are not open? I'm using WIN2003. How do I open the ports?