xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
derryck

Workout System

Well i developed my own workout system and i decided that doing 20 situps at day and 20 situps at night/ 10 pushups at day and 10 at night would be best fpr me Ive been doing this for abotu 3 weeks now and i havent seen any results. Is their something im doing wrong or am i jsut not noticing anything because its my own body. Is their anywa i can improve my peformance to get quicker results that wouldnt hurt my body in anywayPlease and thanx

I would say to see results do some cardio, boxing, swimming or just running. get that heartrate up for over ten mins. that sets into motion a whole metabolic change.^in cardio activity = ^in musclemass = ^in metabolism which means you burn fat more efficiently.go for a half hour jog, or brisk walk. don't take the elevator, take the stairs. And ease up on the soft drink

My workout system consists of me getting up, going downstairs, taking a yogurt out of my fridge, then going outside to the local park and just jogging. This is just a warmup though. After that ill hit the gym, do a few crunches / push-ups (few meaning about 100) then ill hit the weights. I usually bench about 220. This is a way to not only make your health better and get exercise, but keep the muscles and pecs in shape. After this ill go home, eat a health salad then ill just relax. Its best to not OVERDO the exercises.What ever you do, stick to this exercises. Dont drink / smoke as much, and DONT do steroids.

220? As in kg's? Not all of us are weightlifters... If you are doing 20 sit-ups and push-ups at night each time, are you going to your limit? Or do you find it easy? You will not see much if any at all improvement if you stay at the same amount of reps. You should try to push yourself a little, and you will see results. You could increase your reps by 5 each week and two weeks or something like that. Another way of doing it is doing as many press-ups as you can each time, and then as many sit-ups as you can. Pushing yourself to your limit will give you results, even though its harder than a set amount of reps. Another you can do if you dont have access to weight machines or anything is to leverage your feet when doing press-ups. If you're in your room you could leverage your feet up on your bed or a chair or something, then do press-ups. That will increase the weight your arms are lifting so its a better workout.

The work out system should be as follows.. resistance + cardio = good muscular body(1)Resistance excersises could be situps, pushups and pullups each 15 times and 3 sets depending upon your workout requirements(2)Cardio could be a brisk walk or jog or cycling or any of your favourite sport for 20 minuteswhen you do this make sure you have a good meal in small quantities but at regular times can be 6 times a day. the diet could be hard bolied eggs, and food which has lot of fibre like sweet potatoesand make sure you have good sleep.sleeping also increases metabolism after workouts.you can include nuts cereals also in your diet.

Its just fine that you are starting out slow, but to see results you have to work! Meaning that the first day you do 10 reps, and then the next day you push yourself a little more and do 11 or 12. You should progress each day. After a while (4 - 8 weeks), your muscles will probably plateau and you won't be able to increase your reps. So then you need to tweak your work out a little bit. You can add some weight to your situps, or do them a different way, such as lifting your legs at the same time.

I would also recommend getting at least a set of dumbbells. These provide a means to work out your whole body. Ones that you can change the weight on are preferable, because then you can use different weights for different body parts without paying a fortune for a big set of dumbbells.

Also, in your post you leave some questions to be answered:

What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you want to build muscle, lose fat, or train for a particular sport?

In any one of those cases, you will have to put more effort into it. Just doing situps and pushups is only going to do so much.

On a daily basis for just my abs, I do 3 sets of 5 or 6 different exercises, switching out my routine every month or so.

Once you figure out what exactly you hope to accomplish, you need to set realistic goals for yourself. Such as:

"I'm going to lose 3 lbs in the next 2 weeks"

"I want to be able to do 25 pushups in one set by next week"

Don't jump too head first into it either. You need to start out slow. Say resistance training 3 times a week. Cardio twice a week. Maybe start out with 20 minute workouts. But when you are doing resistance training you want to start working your whole body. You don't want to have huge pecs and itty bitty legs. Balance is key.

Alex- As I said in a previous post, this really depends on you. How active are you right now? Do you play any sports? Have you worked out before? If you are just starting out I would recommend 3 days of weight training and 2 days of cardio. If you have a lot of weight to shed consider focussing more on the cardio. With the weight training start with full body workouts. After you progress enough to start going 4 days, you might want to alternate between upper and lower body. For your weight training, if you are going to a gym, usually the equipment is set up by machines and free weights with what muscle group they work. I would start out with the most basic exercises and then refine. Also, like I said you will need to switch it up every month or so(add exercises, change reps/weight, grip differently) If you are completely new to weight training, I would get a trainer at the gym to show you how the machines work, and how to get the most out of each exercise.

Important points when you are weight lifting:

WARM UP- it is important to get your blood circulating, especially in the region of your body where you will be lifting. This will result in less muscle ache, better performance, and better results. To warm up at the beginning of the workout do some stretches, especially focussing on the body parts you will be working that day. Also before lifting a higher weight. Start out with a weight that you can do at least 20 reps of. This will increase your blood flow to that part of your body without putting alot of strain on your muscle. (example: if you are going to bench press 140, try bench pressing 50 first, to warm up)

Start out with a lower weight - You want enough weight, so that your muscles start failing after 7 or 8 reps, but you also want to be able to concentrate on your form

Make sure you are doing the exercise correctly - Take it slow at first, it should take you the same amount of time to lift and let down the weight. If you are lifting wrong it could result in pulled muscles.

Drink water - Water is the key ingredient in your muscles, if you want results, you better have some water in you to back it up. Usually I use the time between every set to drink a little

Eat protein and often - Like a previous poster said you need to eat at least 6 times a day. This is not saying eat huge meals. If you eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake, that counts too! Vegetables are always good. Stay away from sweets, if you are really trying to cut weight I would stay away from fruit as well.

Basic Exercises to Start With

Bench Press - Targets your chest, but uses biceps, triceps and back as stabilizer muscles

Squat - Targets mostly your quads, helps with your core, uses other leg muscles as stabilizers

Bicep curl - targets your bicep, uses other arm muscles as stabilizers

Tricep extension - targets tricep, uses other arm muscles as stabilizers

pull down (on machine), pull up(hanging from a bar)- Targets back

Row- targets back

I would try these on for size for the first couple of weeks, and then start adding more exercises to it.

For the cardio, do anything really active that you find enjoyable, riding a bike, jogging, aerobics, swimming, the list goes on and on. 20 minutes is a good place to start. Make sure you push yourself. If you find you really cant do 20 minutes, just make sure you shoot for more the next time you do it!

whats the best way to stop muscle ache??Workout System

hi I'm begining to workout  again. and I always find it harder to workout  after the first day because of soreness in the areas I foucused on the day before..

I wanted to know if there is anything I can do besides stretching before and after each workout that will help minimize my body ache so I can move on with no excuse's..

thanx...

-reply by joeygoggles

PS90 for seniors?Workout System

Are there any seniors out there doing the PS90 program?

I am wondering if I can gear the routines down so that they are do-able for me, and yet still realize some of the much touted benefits of the program?

I am 74 years old, and have stayed in pretty good shape until 2003 when a blew a knee, had knee surgery, followed by Osteoarthritis, and Spinal Stenosis.

I am slowly working my way back, but thought I might like to step it up a bit by trying a geared down version of PS90. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

Ronbo

-reply by Ronbo