xisto Community
karlosantana

How Would I Share An Internet Connection Over Wan? or through phone wires

The title really explains it all.
After setting up connection sharing through LAN and on one computer, I had a thought "well could I use this to share an internet connection from a wide distance?". Well could I?

So say now that my brother who lives a mile down the road who has no internet connection, but a phoneline, Could he set up a connection going to my IP? I could use a service like DynamicIP where theres a domain "summoned" towards my dynamic IP (or i could change to a broadband company that gives me a static IP) The software I'm using is called CCProxy It's fantastic!

I think I've made it clear, So basically I want to make a "broadband company"? Ya a family one HAHA
Any Ideas?
Karlos

Im not incredibly well versed on ICS under XP, but I know you can set it up for dialup devices. If you were using dialup, I suppose he could set his modem to dial into your number to share a connection somehow, but im really not sure. You having broadband and him not really makes things a little tougher.

1. Well You can set up Proxy and allow others to share your internet.I could be wrong on this but i think there would be a problemIf he dials you >> 1. He'll end up having charged for the phone call in any case. 2. Since he would be using a modem for dialling, I don't think it possible for him to get speed over 56 kbps. or even if we think its an ISDN call 112 kbps at max. Instead of going through all this , its better for him to get a dialup connection. that would be better. If you are looking for sharing stuff, you can use Hyperterminal. Its the best trick for sharing stuff. I wonder if Hyperterminal could be used for connection sharing.

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

I want to Share my Internet Cafe

How Would I Share An Internet Connection Over Wan?

Hello every body there. I am an IT technician for 5 internet cafe and the internet cafe that I had all are in the same city . So I want to connect all of them to WAN I.E I want to configure a secure private Wan using the radios that are already installed to all of them for sharing internet connection.But now I want to setup a WAN that connects this five internet cafe .

Is there any body have any idea for this .Please post your Answer to my email if any one had any idea

-question by nebil

As I knew that, ICS does't support that much functionality you need.You need download an app that does route your incoming packet and out to a broadband connection.You may try one called wingate. That powerful enough.I use it on my old PC as gateway the share my internet connection so that my family do usesurf net concurrently,Please let know if you need help on configure it. ( by PM me )Eric

Well from my understanding you would need to set up a WIFI access point on your end, and your brother who lives a mile away would have to set up a series of routers or a mile long RJ-45 cord in order for him to connect. Since most routers got about 25-30 feet. Or he could get one of those WIFI antennae to extend the range, but either way you need a lot equipment to connect someone that far out.