xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
threepach

Ram Cause Crash? after installing new RAM compuer crashs somtimes

Hi Allfew weeks ago I bought two DDR (not DDR2 i have old motherboard and i don't feel i need to update it) 256Mb RAM while I had just one 256 Mb RAM. now from time to time computer crashes, showing blue screen and it says it's dumping memory in physical memory or something like that. (also the other typical massage that if you recently installed a hardware disconnect it and ... )my friend told me it happens because i bought different brand of RAM than I had before so the old one is not compatible with new one and i have to exchange the old one and get one from the new brand.now I'm in a dilemma should change the old one ? or the new ones could be defected and they should be changed.

It does sound like you have an incompatability problem there. I would carefully check the RAM specs are correct and then change them (if possible) to the original make or a take another chance with a different brand which could work.I doubt the RAM you bought is defective since it half works, just ends up with a crash every now and then. Another thing is it could be your OS, what are you running? updates?

my OS is win xp service pack 2. it has few problems as well like java is not working on it. i can't update it and i can't run it (i get funny massages).could possibly changes in RAM slat sort the problem?and how can i check RAM specs? where is it?thnx

Ram is definitely influential in a computer systems performance. If you run a stability test with cheap ram it will most likely not last long and crash your computer. In the case where the computer ram is not compatible (verify that its the correct type, I recommend you google an all about ram search to learn about the types of ram there is) try searching if it is the correct or recommended type of ram. What brand / type / specs does the old ram have?

You will have to look and match these values of your RAM modules... Ram speed, that will be along the line 333MHz 400MHz, and something like that, for DDR modules... It coudl be written as DDR333, or PC-333, PC-2100 and similar... Second thing you need to pay attention to, is latency... It owuld be written as 2-3-4, 3-4-3, and something liek that... Make sure that all three modules you have installed, are compatible with each other... Also, try running memtest, to make sure your RAM works...

I feel its the latency problem .. as Gahalad suggested, run memtest and see if its running properly .. one at a time..and then, I think you should get three same rams if they are different..

The brand of the RAM shouldn't matter. Quite possibly it's some sort of incompatibility as others have said, that is worth checking. My suggestion would be to load Memtest86+ onto a cd and check to make sure your RAM isn't bad. If you bought cheap RAM (this is the only area where brand might come into play) it's a bit more likely to be defective. I was having a large amount of problems with an old computer, and when I found out my new 256mb RAM chip was defective and removed it the problems were fixed (sortof, the computer didn't run so well with only 128mb of RAM).

Adobe crash after changing RAMRam Cause Crash?

I just bought 2 x 2GB DDR2 (667/533Mhz) RAM for my Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo and tried to start adobe programs such as photoshop and bridge CS3 after.  I put back my old 1GB RAM in, but it keeps crashing. Details says that Thread 10 Crashed... Should I reinstall the whole Adobe creative suite?  Yikes!

-reply by feducia

computer shows blue screen then cannot detect the HDDRam Cause Crash?

this happened when I removed the ram memory to check whether its a ddr 2 or one.How can I tellt aht a computer isrunningon a DDR2or 1 without physically removing it?and what is the solution to this problem of mine?is it that my HDD is ead or is it that my mobo is dead may be the ram is defectice and what can I do more coz I had alreay removed the bios for a while then put it back.Pliz help

-reply by pheroz

the bios is reset by default when you take it out but it sometimes requires the user to input the time so that it can work again. so first check the time in the bios. once you have cleared that, check that your harddrive is working properly. you can do this by using a completely different computer and swappnig harddrives. reinstall the os and see if it works. if the hard drive works then try the ram then the power supply then the processor(all of these have to be compatible with the other computer being used) if it turns out that the ram is in fact the problem then simple go buy a new one(ddr2 preferable because it offers better tranfer rate of the files and effectively improving the speed of you computer). say for examply you had a 2.4 duo core processor and 226 ddr ram, your computer would work horrable and take long to load. this is because the processor processes the infomation but the ram is the sender. if the sender takes long it doesnt matter how fast the processor is. once the ram is filled, the information is tranfered with the aid of "page filing". since you have a small amount of ram, a lot of page filing is done to compensate. page filing is the copying of the temporary files of the harddrive itself. the harddrive is slower than the ram hense it takes longer. note: harddrives eventually give in after you use it a certain amount of times. page filing significantly decreases the life expectancy of your harddrive.