xisto Community
Bluebear

Video Editing Software

I am looking for a free, decent video editing software. It does not need a lot of features. But I would like it to have the "slicing options", so I can split/cut films. I would also like it to have a simple intro option, just making simple intros with text. And the last thing, this is really important so listen up: It must not require my computer to have sound. I messed something up, so the sound is not working. This is causing my Windows Movie Maker not to work - since it requires some stuff. I know that I should fix this, but I will be getting a new laptop in a few months. So this is only temporary. ^_^

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

I'm not sure about the sound part, but the only one i could find that can be installed into Windows and that's free is Avidemux. It can split and cut videos in half, and many other features. It seems to be able to do text as well. Not sure about any effects for text, but you can check it out.

I've hear that Sony Vegas is good, but its only a free trial unless you want to buy it.Its a temporary solution until you get a new laptop i suppose.

Avidemux

"No audio decoder found for this file."

...than was not a surprise, but it opened up the file anyway. I have not looked closer at the program, but it seemed like it worked well. I have no idea how to do that and that, but if I go for this one I guess I will figure it out.

Thank you, but I am still open for more suggestions.

(I will take a look at Sony Vegas too.)

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

have you fixed your pc's sound?

here is an online video editing tool that doesn't need your audio [my guess]..
Jumpcut - it's still on beta stage but you can manage to do simple video editing with it.. you can even use other's video or images to further add content to your videos.. when you're done you can share it with your fellow users..
you need your yahoo id to use their editor..

here is one that i used recently for simple video editing..
Free Video Dub
it is also free.. it supports many file types plus you can delete unwanted parts without re-encoding.. that means that you'll never lose video quality..

good luck on your search and hope your audio problem be fixed soon

EngrJayze: No, I have not fixed my sound. All I need in the software is that I can cut videos, and make simple intros. That is all I need, nothing complicated.

Well you can also use VCD Cutter Lite if yu want. It is also a good editor. You can also get the PRo Version which costs a bit to get advanced features.Dave

You could just use Windows movie maker, as it gives you the basics for everything you need to slice and mix movies and audio together. Only problem Windows Movie maker has is that it lowers the quality just a tad so remember that when you edit your videos with it.

OH! a post for me ^_^ well im an amv maker.. [i know what a nerd] & well, this is how it goes.. WMM IS TRASH! pure trash, you will get tons of error messages, it will freeze, you will have to change file formats.. & the slicing tool, is annoying & so not precise! i have sonyvegas, & i love it, its not free, but im sure you can find a way to get an older version of it for free [the latest version is 8.0 platinum, i think] sonyvegas is amazing, & most video makers use it, there are tons of effects, its fast, & you have many options on how you want to render your projects! i love it(:.. i also heard that you can edit videos using photoshop cs3, so if you have own it, you might want to look into that.. im not sure if they have any transitions though, all i know is that you can edit&split the clips, as well as you could in sonyvegas.. some of my friends also use Roxio's wave video editor, [ i think that is what its called ] its much cheaper & works as well as sonyvegas [roxio is like 60 dollards, you might be able to find it on clearance on bestbuy or some store though, for about 19.99.. since one of the latest versions they released doesnt work for mmh vista]

(:

no no, it is very hard to find a video editing software that is free, nothing in this world is free if it benefits u. of course u can download trials or torrent files where the serial is given to u by the users. so i recommend video studio 7 or 9. it is very simple even with the latest version ones. if you want a pro one then use Adobe Premiere .. if you use Macs then Final Cut Pro is the best