xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sinisteredd

Help Creating A Profile Website how do i make a profile website

Allowing people to use HTML on your site is a bad idea, as they could insert scripts to redirect, or key log etc. you should restrict use of anything which could run a script (any client side scripting ie javascript) and get rid of anything which could be very large, like iframes, and anything else where the tag defines its size.You would probably want to restrict use of most tags, just allow things like bold, strike through, underline, link, line break etc.A lot of people think "no one would bother doing that to my site" but people do, web vandals will vandalise anything without tight security.

in the layout theme of the member profile, you can use css.. it's safer than html and is much wider range of layout than giving them few specific choices of layouts..

secondly about the profile page, all you need to do is the main framework and the $_COOKIE variable from PHP particularly the setcookie() function..

example:
by logging in i have a username "dragonfang00"

setcookie("username", dragonfang00, time()+3600);

now for the cookie variable:

if (isset($_COOKIE['username'])){	$username = $_COOKIE['username'];}

and just use a mySQL command to find other information about the user and just create a script to output that information in his/her profile page...

about the security, i prefer you to add captcha in the registration and email verification.. you can also add in the log in area..

for me I don't want you to use any software like php-fusion or joomla or wordpress because you can't edit it the way you wanted...
Edited by dragonfang00 (see edit history)

oh so its something like myspace. they can choose the style of the profile and stuff. actually that is something we should do here at Xisto. they should make themes for our profiles on Xisto. and we can have blurbs about ourselves and stuff. just an idea though.

Would anyone have an idea where I could get a ready made script Help Creating A Profile Website

Would anyone have an idea where I could get a ready made script to give an option to create Profile pages.  I am making a membership site and don't know any programing.

I know enough PHP to be dangerous not that I actually know how to do anything from scratch.

-reply by JamesDNYC

sorry to say but i will suggest you to make your profile as simple as you can dont make it too much decorative keep it simple i m sure many people will click itall the best...............

Whats the script? ^o^Help Creating A Profile Website

I'm doing something similar to you and I can't find the script anywhere for making logins and profiles could you help me? please email me with a reply 

freyabigg (at) live.Com ^^ (no spam please :D

-reply by Freya