xisto Community
r0b-dog

What Do You Think About Today's Generation..

As society and generation changes,things occur and change.. from school,life,environement and friends.. I watch this tv program of comparing some topics of the new generation and the old generation, heres what they thought.School FightOld Generation- If there was trouble, of a fight between 2 students, the teacher would usually just break it up, and give them the cane. New Generation- This generation, if there was a fight, between 2 students, it would usually end up in a brawl, with a student filming on their video phone and broadcoasting it onto youtube, with the teacher to scared to break it up and having the police called in. Teacher aiding a StudentOld Generation- In the old generation it would be alright with student falling down and injuring themself and with a pass-by teacher aiding and helping him/her with her problem/injuryNew Generation- But now, with a student falling down and injuring themself a passby-teacher would aid and on going pass-by students or teachers will critise, depending on how close the two were and call the pedos or love couples..Petty TheftOld Generation- With the robber getting caught by the adult and then be lecture not to, and say sorry to the shopkeeper or whoever they stole from, and return the goods.New Generation- Usually the robber would have to be dealt with by the police, and part of a criminal gang..So as society changes what do you think about these topics? and feel free to talk about other society changes issues, feel free to comment.

I'm not old enough to know if that's what the older generations were like, but you're pretty accurate with your description of the newer generations. If you ask me, it just shows that society is declining and one day the US will fall, just like the Romans and other great empires. A couple months ago, I was walking to the bus because the bell had just rung. On my way to the bus, I pass by this crowded hallway of students. I found it to be a little odd, but I pushed and shoved my way through the pack. Turns out that all of those people (there were about 15) were sitting around waiting for this kid to beat up another kid. How sad is that!! Adrenaline is conquering over moral values! Many teenagers are smoking and doing drugs nowadays. Sure this happened 30 years ago, but know we know better! We have the research that shows how harmful that stuff is! Teens would rather stare at a hot girl all class than actually learn. Just think about what these people will become! The three words that sum up todays generation are these: sex, money, and freedom. Those are the three things a teenager cannot simply get enough of! My outlook for the future is very pessimistic. My opinions are very strong regarding this, but please feel free to criticize me.--A 16 year old teen ranting about his own generation.

Edited by husker (see edit history)

I, too, have poor views on today's generation. Just recently, I got a shock when I found out that my younger brother (currently 9 years old) does not know of Rumpelstiltskin. Quickly running through a mental list, I was appalled to find out that today's generation goes through a different childhood.My younger brother, for example, knows a lot about units in Warcraft 3, Ragnarok Online or Final Fantasy. He is knowledgeable of techniques and characters in Naruto or Bleach. On the other hand, he has no idea of Ali Baba, Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, Firebirds or Rapunzel. No, wait, he does know of Rapunzel, but only from that horribly inaccurate CG movie by Mattel.When I was young, our mothers often complained every sunset that our afternoon play made us all stinky and sweaty. Now, my mom is ranting about our power consumption as two TV's and a PC were on.In a way, I do recognize that I do share the blame in the "corruption" of my younger brothers' childhood. Such is the reason why, nowadays, we once again play badminton every weekend and I drop fairy tales from time to time.I also see that technology has made people (not just children) quite impatient nowadays. Back then, people passed the time with talk and simple stuff. We relished the products of slow cooking and "barbecue" meant grilling over low heat. Now, people are in a hurry that waiting for elevators has blown many a man's fuse. We ate fast food and, even in restaurants, complain when our orders take a while. Quite terribly, "barbecue" now meant quick firing at high heat in a furnace. I can taste the horrible difference while my younger brother relishes the ersatz barbecue with gusto.Back then, our place wasn't so populate so in the summer, we'd catch dragonflies, play in the streets and fly kites. In the evening, we watched fireflies. In the rainy season, we took to the streets and enjoyed the world's largest shower. We supped on warm broth and played board games while we snuggled in our blankets :lol: During power outages, we light candles, spook each other and play with our hands' shadows on the walls.Now, in the summer, young people flock to the airconditioned malls where they play arcade or online games, people watch or flirt, perhaps checking into a motel :P In the evening, we had TV. Granted, we had TV back then too, but now, we have cable TV. There's always something to watch for every hour! During rainy days, we have the Internet, cable TV, Playstation, Wii or iPod. On power outages, most would cuss about how hot it is. The few who are better off would crank up their noisy, gas-powered generators, the exhaust killing the fireflies :DAll in all, I'd say technology has changed us, as a race. When the few remaining people of yesterday finally die, we'd be left with nothing more than dreams, stories and memories of a past we never experienced.

I tend to be a little bit more optimistic about my generation than the rest of you seem to be. I think the largest differences are probably caused by location. Where I live (Northwest USA), my generation seems to be doing pretty good. The largest gripe I had over the last couple years was that my generation seemed overly apathetic, mostly about politics. But, I've had to revise my opinion of that lately because of how much my generation has gotten into the current presidential primaries.All in all, I think things are actually better in most respects. Things are definitely different, but I think the current generation (at least here in the US) is more accepting of other people than previous generations. We've grown up learning about racism etc... but we haven't grown up with racism (this may not hold true for everybody, but it does for me).Most of those issues that r0b-dog mentioned, at least the ones dealing with teachers, I haven't seen. If a student was hurt at my school, the teachers immediately went to help them. I saw it multiple times, it even happened to me. I've also seen teachers break up a fight, but they didn't use a cane afterwards, they just suspended the students for a number of days.

Today's society is full of crap. We are turning more and more towards a police state every day. I agree wit ha lot of what you said like with a kid stealing a candy bar n stuff, no need to call the cops, spank his butt and make him give the candy back and apologize. End of story. Send him to the cops however and not only do u end up with a kid who is labeled for a long time but you emotionally scar the kid too.Another disturbing trend is how kids are becoming more cloneish every day. The worst part is they don't even realize it when its put in plain terms. For instance I read an article about "Scene Kids" In it the girls (who stole all of their look from either emo (which in turn stole from punk and goth), punk, goth or the 80s (off all things they took the 80's hair styles...)) Referenced a site on how to become a "Scene Kid" which includes the instructions "add random Scene Kids to your myspace and look at what music they are listening to and copy it. Download all the band's music and read everything on the history of the bands."These kids say they look like they do to be different yet reference sites telling them to copy others? Are these kids honestly THAT stupid? Not only do they look like crap but they are copying it from others AND from other subcultures.Another scary thing is the whole psycho paranoia that everyone out there is a sex offender and trying to hurt your kid. Being a male in today's society I am afraid to be seen with a kid for fear that people think I am molesting him or her. When I have my own kids I will be deathly afraid to even give them a hug in public, what if my hand slips and touches their butt, someone could call the cops and say i was groping them. It is udder bull crap. I used to hate all of these sex offenders but now that I hear stories about people who get thrown in jail and put on this list for things like kissing their kid I no longer think anything of it. Good going people, you turned something possibly useful (sex offender registry) into a farce and a useless list of generally random people for all I know.Yet another disturbingly stupid thing is the fact that people can't even become an adult correctally anymore. When my dad grew up and became 18 he joined the marines and left home for good, no turning back, no need for mom and dad to send money for him to get an education, no need to stay with mom and dad because he couldn't pay for an apartment or house of his own.When I turned 18 I looked into getting an apartment. HA fat chance. Working as a cook for 7 bux an hour while going to college and doing only 30 hours a week of work (or less) barely paid for my car and the gas to put in it. I had to wait until I was 21 to move out of my parents house and only because I had started doing freelance 3D graphics.The way things are going, if there is not something to stop them within only a few generations we will be not only a police state but one with no jobs, lazy idiot kids and a crap load of other problems.

As one of my pals told me,"5 years ago, I'd sing out youth of the nation out loud, but today, I'd be ashamed to do so" (Dont kill me for this CatLady,worse dont delete this post!! I mentioned you said this, indirectly). I somehow felt the deep and hidden irony in her statement after encountering some real amusing specimens online. The unnecessary and extensive use of SMS lingo in every statement is what irks me the most.Agreed that its a contrivance on a phone keypad, but I see absolutely no reason as to why to apply the same rules to a qwerty. Another distinctive point about the Lads of the 'morrow is the nonchalant use of ASCII characters that not only make readability annoying, but also plain disgusting.The extensive use of dots in text makes the already grammar sapped textual nightmares look even worse. Another appealing factor about the youth of today is the excessive obsession with brands. I mean seriously, the no good spoilt brats of the present will not cringe for an iota of a second to dish out four ,at times even, five figured amounts for insignificant stuff all because of the brand name that comes attached with it.It was shocking to see a kid no older than sixteen shopping for stuff totally worth more than enough to feed a poor family for 3 months.The magnitude of money pumped by the parents into the child's pocket is the primary cause of this failure to realize importance of money. Insane amounts of money are pumped into teenagers by parents in hope to be "perfect parents". Accessories worth a mini fortune are provided to children who deserve it the least. This results in undesirable behavior , which in turn reflects badly on the whole generation. Another consequence of the above predicament is the emergence of the **** culture. Juvenile interpretation of love and relationships are taken into practice, which rarely shapes up to anything, resulting in mental depression which in turn leads to substance abuse, which in the end sums up to be a monumental pile of negativity, leading to consequences which are perpetually displayed by the media.Juvenile sex is a phenomenon which cannot be curbed by direct means. The exposure to inappropriate content is simply too imminent and no amount of policing can stop this. The rising ten pregnancies all across the globe can be achieved only by proper sex education at or before puberty. Encouragement to use and cont subsidaries of contraceptive material may help in tackling the menace.

My generation saddens me

What Do You Think About Today's Generation..

Replying to r0b-dog

Great points, I agree totally. For everything I know, so much of it makes me ashamed. As an 18 year old senior in the heart of Orange County, I see so much waste and stupidity. Endless amounts of people that are nice, and simply that, nothing more. I meet so many people that are doing nothing but being like others, most I meet can be characterized as the " " guy or the " " girl. All the stereotypes exists but only a few of the populace are around here, still everyone else is missing something, it may be called shallow. Basically I can find people I like, but they're never unique, everyone fits into a characterization. I hate hardcore music and especially rap, they are an insult to the soul and spirit that all quality music stood for. Advertising and corporate schemes all play into this, bands such as The Jonas Brothers, and Miley Cyrus, sponsored by the powerful Disney company, have made it to the top music charts with worthless, shallow music. On rap, I cannot comprehend how black people went from such moving music such as Jazz and Soul,and turned into a the negative trash that is rap. I have the most respect for black people but in my generation, speaking as slang and "gangster" as you can is acceptable, I cant stand hearing it because simply put, it sounds stupid. One of the saddest things in my life is texting. Every day, all day, all through class people having Texting conversations. "hey why don't you just call them?" and the answer is usually "Because were in class," as students were supposed to be learning but we can't do anything but find ways to distract ourselves and waste time. Another answer I got for why text is "Because it's easier," hearing those words broke my heart. My peers, my friends, my entire age group assumes it is acceptable to talk to each other with convenience. Yes text conversations are easier, you don't have awkward silences, you have time to think through your words, theres less room to mess up, to look stupid, to make a mistake. But having friends and actually seeing them is worth all those risks, but no one sees it. I'm sorry to say that myspace hurts me even more, "You don't even need to meet me, everything about me is already here in text," to me myspace is a way to have shallow communications and relationships, a cheap way to let everyone know about yourself because we are too damn weak and socially inept that we can't interact with each other. My parents would go down to the local bar, have a drink meet some friends, have fun, yes they would actually talk in person, there were no cell phones, no texting, these damn distractions, these easy ways to talk to each other keeps us from learning how to really meet people. Drinking and smoking is another problem I deal with, mainly in America, teens drink not for social interaction, but just because they have the chance, parents out of town, spring break, party, or whatever holiday people can use as an excuse to get drunk. There is a mystery about it, in other parts of the world children know exactly what alcohol is like and they become so much more defined, mature and classy. The American college, party, drinking, scene wouldn't fly in Europe. The drunken chanting as one idiot drinks, is seen as stupid by the rest of the world, exactly how it should be. I'd say a rough 80% of people around me at my age drink, too many, portray the stupid college drunk that I never wish to be. My problem is that most people see the above scenarios as just having fun. Sure, drink all you want, thats not what I care about, but the way everyone around here does it, you make yourself look dumb and I want to avoid that. In the worst part of the problem, I have come to find some truly good and respectable people in the cloud of generic human beings all blindly trying to be something they think they should be. I great message I'd like to spread is to embrace the themes in the movie

"Fight Club" which was made when all the bland human molds were starting to develop.

My generation has shown me nothing to be proud of, but I'm trying to see it. Hopefully I expressed myself well enough about the main problems I deal with and I hope my ideas are... Good.

-reply by Long