xisto Community
bthaxor

Post Rating Module Installed Rate member posts

The rating system looks cool! Thanks for installing this, and I like it. However I think we see what ppl rated without click list. Add a (+) button for more info.

(My idea is:)

Posted Image [x2]

Posted Image [x1]

(+)

I also think that the rating system is cool. If it is used well by all of us the quality of the posts will improve. The icons look great. Congratulations Xisto!! We will continue to be an evolving community. I wonder what kind of other new features we will have a couple of years from now.. In the meantime, I can definitely see this improving the tutorial posts :lol:

I've seen this on other forums, and it can work well depending upon the community. In a community full of kinder people, newbies can see who the friendliest members are, who to turn to for help, who to seek information from, etc. In a community with some meaner people, people can abuse the system, giving people negative reputation points because they have a grudge against that person. Based on that, the seemingly helpful system would be biased.

I've seen this on other forums, and it can work well depending upon the community. In a community full of kinder people, newbies can see who the friendliest members are, who to turn to for help, who to seek information from, etc. In a community with some meaner people, people can abuse the system, giving people negative reputation points because they have a grudge against that person. Based on that, the seemingly helpful system would be biased.

Well, our community is made of mostly polite, helpful people, so the only way this system could be biased is if a person registered to this site purely to discredit us, and gave everybody negative ratings. But even if that happened, the sheer amount of good people giving their honest ratings would make the "biased" ratings pale into insignifigance.
If we're REALLY worried about bias, make it so that only expirienced users (ones that have been around a while, or have many quality posts) can use it, and gradually allow others into it based on that criteria. If a person abuses it, we just take it away again. Though to be honest I don't see why we should worry about it until there's good evidence that bias is already affecting or may soon have a negative effect on the system.

I don't it will be abused as much because if you look at who rated a person that alone is enough to determine if the rating has any weight. Some one with more time on the forums you can assume is OK and wouldn't expect them to spam ratings. On the other hand if they are doing just that then you can just go ahead and discredit any ratings they did. Simple enough I say just keep the system and use your own judgements no just taking anyones word for it( or in this case some ones rating). If someone rates me bad I don't care, look at his username he's probably a noob lol. Thats my only point.PeaceSone.

Well it has been a few weeks now since this mod was installed, and it seems to be working out great for members, although, I think a detail description of the ratings should be made because some people don't understand the ratings as well as they should. As some just randomly click on a rating not thinking about it. Of course I am still waiting for the names to have links to the posts and not the person's profile.

good work i think the rating system is pretty cool. it tells what other people think of different people, and it also tells you how you could improve the way you post on the topics.

My one problem, I suppose, is just a small annoyance with where the image is placed next to a username. When you click the image to see how people have been rated, it always brings down the menu linked to their username:

yah it does the same thing to me i had found it anoying at first but i found a way to get around it even tough it still happens.

This is a very nice modification to the board. In my absence I did not realize it was added until I came back and saw a symbol next to my name. Sadly for those who are generally disagreed with I think they might not be paid attention to or thought of as being as much as a contribution than the others just because of an "X" next to their name. Other than that I think it is a nice addition to the board. Good work.

I think the rating system is a good idea, It's pretty much a reputation system, And i don't think any one would just simply play around with it.Correct me if I'm wrong but you are talking about the "Useful, Zing, Thanks, Informative, Disagree, Agree" etc thing right? Or the Rating system about the thread?