xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Safari 3.1 Is Out

Well Apple has uploaded a new safari browser, and I am somewhat glad because the beta version kept on crashing on me, but anyways safari claims the following,

Web pages 1.9 times faster than Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 and 1.7 times faster than the open-source Firefox 2 browser. It also said Safari 3.1 runs JavaScript up to six times faster than any other browser, and it is the first to support new Web standards.

Of course I can't verify those speeds how I went on the acid test I have some shocking results, first acid test 2 website is down, but on the acid test 3 it scored a whopping 75/100 which is pretty impressive against the rest of the major browsers, and if it is that high on the acid 3 test then the acid 2 should be passed at 100%, and interestingly enough I find this website that has broken down every browser now to mankind, awesome detail and info.

As for it claims well I seem some speed in this browser, however, javascript has some bugs or at least bugs on how it renders IPB forums. That glitch we had with the options menu in the profiles is still there, but still you mac lovers or you hardcore safari might like this browser.

Download Here

Ahh, much better than that 39/100 that 3.0.4 got... Unfortunately it still has some javascript issues with IPB... I still can't give threads ratings and can't go under the options menu of profiles with it. Hopefully it will be a fix with the next version.

Interestingly enough, I did not receive a notification in the software update on my Mac. But probably I saw this news when I had went to work, would give it a try when I reach home later. Safari is lightning quick, the loading time is much better than FireFox and that is probably the reason why I am using it since I have gotten a Mac despite being a FireFox user for my entire Windows experience.

Wow, fast doesn't say it all...Quite impressive response time to queries. Man, I wish Safari and Opera had the FF Web Developers Extension.

Quite impressive response time to queries. Man, I wish Safari and Opera had the FF Web Developers Extension.

Yes plugins/extensions/themes, and a javascript error console are the only two things that safari needs to implement for it to become the best browser. I doubt they will ever implement themes because apple is way too in love with their own gui to ever let anyone change it without a fight, but I'm sure if enough users request it, they will add extensions and hopefully that error console in the near future.

On the PC, Safari works with Windows XP and Windows Vista. It requires a 500MHz Pentium-class processor or better and at least 256MB of RAM.

Yup. Looks like it does. I haven't tried safari on windows yet. I'm not quite sure if its the best browser for PC users, I think firefox is pretty great for windows, its just the mac version of firefox is so slow and unstable safari is a much better option.

The download link in the opening post is the place to download the newest Safari browser from.They must do some Browser sniffing, because that gave me the Safari (windows) version. And it works a treat.

Yes plugins/extensions/themes, and a javascript error console are the only two things that safari needs to implement for it to become the best browser. I doubt they will ever implement themes because apple is way too in love with their own gui to ever let anyone change it without a fight, but I'm sure if enough users request it, they will add extensions and hopefully that error console in the near future.

Actually, there is a JavaScript error console in Safari but it is hidden, you need to do some modifications to make it appear. Here is the link from Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/safari/

I don't see any reason why Safari should have themes, the default browser is clean, sleek and posh. It is elegantly beautiful and I won't ever get bored with Safari's appearance. The last time I used the windows version of Safari, it was 3.0 beta if memory serves me correct. After installing it, my iTunes crashed and the text display isn't as beautiful as you would get on a Mac. In anycase, I am not sure what kind of upgrades the windows version brings and whether they have fixed the iTunes crashing bug.

I downloaded and fell in love. Safari owns!!! I'm using it right now to post this message. It is faster, it has spell check, it has a better layout. Everything is great on safari. Only drawback is the lack of the ability to use the middle wheel mouse when pressed down to scroll. Plus all the fonts look different.Other then that, it's amazing.

Nice One Saint Michael, I was really thinking about switching from firefox to another browser, at first I was thinking about opera, but I think you just saved me some time. Its speed sounds really amazing, I wonder if its true. I guess I will be downloading it soon because I am fed up with firefox eating up all the memory and freezing up my pc. I remember when firefox was a really good browser.... It all got ruined in version 2

Well I do have a thought why it is so fast, and that is safari is not a bloated with so much junk, the reason I say that because I got like 20-30 extensions going on firefox and takes a few seconds for firefox to load, and in some causes websites takes a couple of more seconds ot load. Not saying there is nothing wrong with have these enhancements and stuff, but I think a simple browser is all we really need and not something like a cellphone with all the gadgets it doesn't really need. People are worried about standards and such, but instead of trying to fix the coding they are building extension to make browsers look cooler and stuff. Of course with HTML 5 on it's way it should be interesting how many browsers will fail against those standards as everyone has to relearn how to code all over again.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Was using this in the beta stage. It was kinda cool. But, the only thing that made me switch back to firefox is that safari doesn't support my regional language. I read lots of sites it my regional language.I've also sent a bug report regarding this and uninstalled. Will check now weather they have fixed this.