xisto Community
jorge del norte

Nasal Irrigation For Sinus Trouble

what is nasal irrigation? Is it the trick where you suck up 10-20ml of water up your nose? Because if it is, then I am not trying it...But what does it do? does it unblock your nostrils? Does it moistens your nostrils?

Nope, they go into your nose and drain the fluids. Sometimes they leave a tube in so it drains over a day or so. Often they use a fluid (saline-like) to rinse it out. It doesn't really hurt, but it is 'invasive', sort of.

The last time I had something like that done to my nose I ended up sneezing for like 2 hours. It was horrible, I felt like ripping my nose out. it was really desesperating =b

It does help though, and not only for people with sinusitis. If you manage to sort of sniff a little bit of luke warm salty water, through osmosis it will strengthen your nasal passages, clear out the mucus and improve the air flow altogether. You will end up breathing much better than you have ever done, and have no more nasal congestion at all.

I remember, when I had my nose operation a few months ago (after I had broken my nose, they had to correct my septum), I was given a spray called Sterimar, which is nothing but sea water. But, my goodness, does it make a difference. Also, instead of spending a lot of money on nose drops when you have a cold, just use salty water instead, you will see how it will clean and unblock the nasal passage. (Many commercial nose drops are just that anyway: water with salt added to it).

Nasal Irrigation is really helpful and it definitely improved my breathing tremendously. When I had shifted from a cold place to a really humid town which is noted for causing sinusitis in people (probably due to the air). I always had a blocked nose & heavy head so one day my friend recommended that I tried nasal irrigation, i was not too keen as it involved salty hot water & my nose :lol: . Basically he got this pot specially designed for nasal irrigation, added slightly hot water and some salt. Then he made me tilt my head towards the side, and all I had to do was tilt the pot and let gravity do the rest. At first there was no water coming out the other nostril so we added slightly hotter water to the pot. You might feel a slight discomfort but once you do it twice or thrice it gets easier and more comfortable. After the first time, my head was much lighter and I did not have a blocked nose. The problem is that people worry that the water might leak into their lungs or get stuck in their head (Trust me, I have heard plenty of weirdos with creepy assumptions). But the nasal irrigation involves your sinuses which are the cavities (air pockets) present in your head. And the only way you can get water in your lungs is if you breathe through your nose instead of the mouth while flushing your sinuses. I actually recommend it to those who have sinusitis but I strictly recommend that you have someone experienced with you as there are chances that you might do it wrong alone :XD:

Irrigating the sinuses with some manner of saline solution appears an excellent way to evade all manner of upper respiratory ailments - specifically, colds. I haven't come down with this horrible affliction for several years, and I hope to keep it that way with use of an empty Vietnamese chili sauce bottle I periodically fill with a mixture of sea salt and water. Of course, steering clear of children (otherwise known as germ incubators) and doctors (otherwise known as germ dispensers) has helped me allude various and sundry viruses. I hear the neti pot is designed specifically for this application. But the device appears funny to me. It looks like something one might burn inscense in, or summon a genie in. Not sure I want to stick it up my nose, though. I've also stumbled upon a nasal irrigation device by a company called, NeilMed. Having tried it, I'd say it definitely flushes the sinuses. Just be prepared to blow snot out your nose the remainder of the day. This device goes deep. You will actually experience your ears popping upon use, or at least I did. This whole physical incarnation thing is sure a drag. Better that we were all spirit, already.