xisto Community
abminara

What Does Efc Actually Mean?

I see alot of people complaining about their "private" school tuition. Why should the Gov shell out ANY money for you to go to a non-federal "private" school? The gov has no stake in a "private" school...therefore are not going to pay much if anything. The economy is all screwed up in large part because of technology. We have been riding a huge economic wave(thats a good thing) created by the end of WW2. 100's of thousands of soldiers came home from WW2 with money to spend and were not afraid to work. That wave ran out a long time ago but the gov didnt want to "let down" the people and have been going to extreme measures in a vain attempt to keep it going. Technology killed the job market...who needs employees if i can program a computer to do the same thing...without breaks..without a retirement plan. If you are actually willing to pay for your kids tuition at a private school to be a vocalist or some other ridiculous thing..then go ahead. But i can tell you now...the gov...and most American people could care less how good they can sing or how much they want it. Learn a skill or trade that we can't live without. There are three that come to mind..military, medical and law enforcement. We have never lived in a world without these. Always had someone to fight for us, always had someone to fix us and always had someone to keep the peace.(always had prostitutes also...but please dont go that far). It is OUR kids that will fix this mess...if we train them to do it. Teach them to work hard, sweat a little and make a difference. Stop telling them to go to college, get a degree...so they can sit on their butt's and make tons of money...cause you're way isnt working..it's making things worse. When the American economy takes a real nosedive and modern infrastructure fails...i'd love to be a fly on the wall when little junior or Sally realize the only thing they know how to do is sit at a computer or sing!

I see alot of people complaining about their "private" school tuition. Why should the Gov shell out ANY money for you to go to a non-federal "private" school? The gov has no stake in a "private" school...therefore are not going to pay much if anything. The economy is all screwed up in large part because of technology. We have been riding a huge economic wave(thats a good thing) created by the end of WW2. 100's of thousands of soldiers came home from WW2 with money to spend and were not afraid to work. That wave ran out a long time ago but the gov didnt want to "let down" the people and have been going to extreme measures in a vain attempt to keep it going. Technology killed the job market...who needs employees if i can program a computer to do the same thing...without breaks..without a retirement plan. If you are actually willing to pay for your kids tuition at a private school to be a vocalist or some other ridiculous thing..then go ahead. But i can tell you now...the gov...and most American people could care less how good they can sing or how much they want it. Learn a skill or trade that we can't live without. There are three that come to mind..military, medical and law enforcement. We have never lived in a world without these. Always had someone to fight for us, always had someone to fix us and always had someone to keep the peace.(always had prostitutes also...but please dont go that far). It is OUR kids that will fix this mess...if we train them to do it. Teach them to work hard, sweat a little and make a difference. Stop telling them to go to college, get a degree...so they can sit on their butt's and make tons of money...cause you're way isnt working..it's making things worse. When the American economy takes a real nosedive and modern infrastructure fails...i'd love to be a fly on the wall when little junior or Sally realize the only thing they know how to do is sit at a computer or sing!

I find your opinion largely agreeable, as I do think that private colleges (and institutions in general) are largely a failure. But I am disappointed by your stern conservative outlook on what is necessary in this world. Three things you name; protecting our land, keeping order, and staying healthy. All of those things have merit, but if you really want to look back on where the problems we face have come from, you should look also to those three things. It is easy and laughable to dismiss someone who wants to be a vocalist or an artist. And in a certain kind of world, that is legitimate. But this isn't that time. The problems that brought about Modernism and continue to plague humanity started long ago. Don't be too eager to think you know what we collectively need, and what we could all do with out. Learning a useful trade is certainly valuable, and sitting at a computer is largely physically unproductive, that much is true. But I would consider your own perspective with more depth before "training your kids" to fix this world.

FAFSA is an income redistribution tool of the progressivesWhat Does Efc Actually Mean?

I am in JoeF's shoes...Make a decent income, living in a very high-cost area of the country, with 7 dependents. The fact that this is a very high cost area of the country doesn't seem to factor into the FAFSA calculation. We live frugally, but are not in poverty like you see in Haiti. We consider our family as solidly middle class, nothing more. $80k/year income might provide a lot in many rural parts of the country, but in many urban parts of the country, this is barely enough to put a roof over ones head, and food on the table. We have two children entering college next year and our calculated EFC made both me and my wife laugh---what a joke. We are not expecting hand-outs for our children to attend college, just an opportunity for some help, like work-study or low interest loans. No handouts expected here. Anyways, we have no expectation of any need-based help now. We both have come to the conclusion that the FAFSA is simply a tool by the progressives of this country to redistribute income, and not to provide true help to those who are living responsibly.

-reply by spidermonkey

Try making it with less then 50,000 a year and a family of six. If you are making more then that I will trade incomes in a heart beat. The complianing about being poor making 80,000 or more please. I don't complian I live within my means. Plain and simple.

Hello I am Joshwa! I am having a very bizarre instance of this as well. My younger brother and I both applied at the same time and we are both dependents and live with my Father as well as our older brother. After we had finished the application we noticed that he was eligible for 5 times the amount of money that I was. Our only difference is that I have held a job and aided with the house's bills etc. in the past year. From what I can gather at this is that they assume that since I live with my dad, all the money I made from my job is going straight to college. I'm afraid it isn't as simple as that I'm sure anyone can relate. I went back to make sure there was no mistake on both of our applications and the outcome was still the same. The fact I had a minimum wage part-time job is cutting around 5,000 dollars out of my financial aid. My little brother simply doesn't want a job right now and by the logic of FAFSA he is in more 'need' for a better education. I usually can understand other peoples' family situations and won't question other people getting tons of aid money but coming from the same family background and my pathetic looking income for last year cutting that much into my financial aid just boggled my mind. He agrees with me entirely and believes that it is utter nonsense for a country to be supporting joblessness. You have a hard worker trying to save money for their college and help the family and you get stabbed in the back by losing out tremendously for financial aid whereas the lazy person refusing to get a job is essentially getting paid to go to college. I'd also be more understanding if my income from the previous year was higher than it was. I was a part time minimum wage employee, after food and gas it simply isn't enough to be saving the amount of money I'm losing out on for aid. We're both going to a community college and the way things are looking because of this I'm going to have to delay my education yet again where he is cruising along taking twice as many credit hours as I do. This is a very sneaky way to redistribute wealth but I think my situation is even more humorous considering we both belong to the same familyConfused and financially bereft,Joshwa.

Its BootyWhat Does Efc Actually Mean?

I am a high school student and work part-time making decent money, my parents barely make anything and I pay just about everything for myself except rent and 1/2 food. I work so I can afford a car, holdhold neccessities and food. I am over 18. I made about $11000 part time. My sister who only went to school full time the year befire me gets a efc of $1100 BECAUSE SHE DIDNT WORK AT ALL. And me mine is efc is $6900. It just aint right the morei try and get money for college the less ill get for college. I can't work when I go because I will have lots of classes. And also my parents are not going to help me pay anything. All FASFA gave me was a bunch of loans with almost low interest. ITs booty

-reply by AlexB

It does not matter how much a student makes if you are under 24. This is because, according to FAFSA, you are considered DEPENDENT upon your parents even if you do NOT live with them and they do NOT help you. FAFSA doesnt care and you are dependent upon your parents unless you are 24 plus or have a child. So even if you don't work, if your parents make more than about 60,000, you will not qualify for anything except loans.

While education is important, the system may also have the implications of discouraging some people who would be better off without a degree because of their financial status. For example, if somebody was making little money to be able to make ends meet, he or she would be better off working to support the family rather than taking up a full-time program. Also, from their perspective, such a person may not be likely to finish the program because of other commitments. On the other hand, they could deny an opportunity to somebody who has it all planned and manage to get by with five hours of sleep to be able to manage everything. It is a system where everybody could benefit from funding and low-interest loans, but they only have so much that they can do because of limited allocation of resources and therefore they are trying to do the most they can in an objective manner that does not seem to unfairly favor anyone. When a process seems like it is objective, it may leave out individuals who rightfully deserve assistance but for the people making the policies, it is something that they can live with as long as they see that they are able to manage all that they can within their budgets.

So if your EFC says EFC: 00000....is that bad?

In case anyone reads this later, with the EFC a lower number is better (it represents "estimated financial contribution" or something, not sure the exact term). Generally speaking, 000000 will mean that you will get the maximum allowed (between federal max or school's max, depending) financial aid.

Supposedly this isn't always the case, but in every situation I've seen it has been.