xisto Community
tricky77puzzle

Micro$oft, Windoze, Internet Exploder, Etc. You can probably guess. Hint: Linsux

Don't you just hate it when people call Microsoft, Windows, and Linux derogatory names?

Well, I do.

I think it's just useless, because calling them derogatory names won't get them to improve; they'll just sue you or something.

Here's a few of the examples of "nicknames" of every company that I've heard over the past year:

Windows: Windoze, Doors (don't really get this one), Losedows ("lose", opposite of "win"), Faildows ("fail", pseudo-opposite of "win")

Microsoft: Micro$oft ($ meaning money-centered), Microshaft, Microsquish, Macrosuck, Microhard

Internet Explorer: (don't even get me started.) Internet Exploder (although this could be a typo), Exposer, Exploiter, Exposure; WHY (a mistransliteration of WIE, Windows Internet Explorer), MISSED (Microsoft's Internet Super-Slow Exploding Device). Okay, so I made the last one up, but who knows?

GAIM (GNU AIM): Gay American Instant Messaging

Linux: Linsux

GNU in general: GNU's not Ubiquitous, GNU's not Undefeated (yeah, I mae these 2 up too, but who knows?)

Netscape: Netscrape (meaning that it's "scraping" the bottom of the market share), Net-goat (It's a "scapegoat" of IE)

Mac: Fackintosh (Yes, that's a misspelling of a swear word. It rhymes, though.)

I couldn't really go rattling off names for centuries, but you get the idea. Why call them bad names in your private life where it doesn't do anything? Show them some primitive respect, even if they do charge $400 for an operating system.

EDIT: Fixed a few spelling mistakes.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

Well, i've definitly heard most of the windows ones, but I don't personally use them because I don't make fun, but I do have no problem of sharing my opinion about an OS (i.e. windows and how money hungry they are). Anyways, just thought I would clear up that one "doors" for windows name. Windows are a symbol of insperation in some sense because when you see a picture of a window there is usually a pretty scene through it; however, doors don't offer the insperational symbol and in a sense block insperation like microsoft does and stops innovation in the computer industry.Just my two cents.

Exactly, that's why I do it in public.

In private or in public; it doesn't matter. It won't make them change anything. It'll probably get you a bad rep, though... among, Micro-softies, that is. (Micro-softies is a derogatory name for Microsoft employees and fanatics.)

Well, these names are used bu general users and doesn't really hurt the companies much, but I can't stand it when Apple start there Microsoft bashing EVERYTIME they have a conference or something. I mean when Tiger was announced they actually had huge banners that read "Redmond start your photocopiers", which basically implied that Microsoft would copy the features in Tiger. Even during their speeches high profile folks like Steve Jobs starts bashing Microsoft. What a bunch of whiners.

To say that using derogatory names for companies shows immaturity on the web would be to say that roughly 98% of Internet users are immature. (Actually, you may have a point there...) I have indeed heard many of the derogatory names you mentioned on this post, and while I don't use any myself, I consider many of them to be a very clever form of stating the facts about a company.

Also, if you go to any website on the web anywhere, you'll normally find that someone is using at least one of these dergoatory terms. Micro$oft, in particular, is used so often I don't know why it isn't in the dictionary! I've even seen it been used on "Have Your Say" postings on Corporate News Websites! I think people are definitely trying to send a message, there...

In my opinion, the problem is not using derogatory terms, it's overusing them. Using them once or twice in a post is proving a point, but three or more times makes you seem immature because you think the word is "cool", when really it's annoying.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

To say that using derogatory names for companies shows immaturity on the web would be to say that roughly 98% of Internet users are immature. (Actually, you may have a point there...) I have indeed heard many of the derogatory names you mentioned on this post, and while I don't use any myself, I consider many of them to be a very clever form of stating the facts about a company.

Also, if you go to any website on the web anywhere, you'll normally find that someone is using at least one of these dergoatory terms. Micro$oft, in particular, is used so often I don't know why it isn't in the dictionary! I've even seen it been used on "Have Your Say" postings on Corporate News Websites! I think people are definitely trying to send a message, there...

In my opinion, the problem is not using derogatory terms, it's overusing them. Using them once or twice in a post is proving a point, but three or more times makes you seem immature because you think the word is "cool", when really it's annoying.

If they weren't overused, do you think I'd be creating this topic? XD

Anyway, It's using them once or twice in a post, like this:

You know, I think Windows 2000 was the best one of them all. After that, it degraded into "Winblows" XP.

:that is acceptable, like you said. (And they should always [i mean always!] be in quotes.)

(98% of internet users are immature? Well, partially, anyway... I was one of those 98% four years ago.)

That being said, I think "Micro$oft" is the worst one out of them all. I mean, you're insulting the PHP variable character by putting it on the name of such a sick, twisted company name!

EDIT: Ack, I meant PHP. In PHP, variables always start with a dollar sign. I have no idea why they chose that, but they did.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

Don't you just hate it when people call Microsoft, Windows, and Linux derogatory names?

The HONEST answer?...

No, actually that's a method I can really get behind.

I fully support calling a piece of crap exactly what it is, whatever it may be.

True, it won't get Uncle Bill to shape up Microsuck's act, but then again, nothing short of bankruptcy or World War III will.

Just enjoy the refreshing feeling you get from shining the harsh light of truth on a filthy cockroach like the MS Oligarchy. It doesn't make you a bad person, certainly not nearly as lousy as the megalomaniac who runs that show.

Now that you got my blood squirting from my eyes, I'll now have to post a true rant in TIS explaining just a surface-scratching of why MS = Epic Fail...

Just remember, MS always stands for Multiple Sclerosis, whether in reference to disease OR software. :P

(ok, maybe sometimes 'Money-Sucking' in regards to the latter...)

Oh, and Linux?

I can't say I hate it, but it will never be more than a geek's power toy or a dedicated server OS untill the "community" figures out that the AVERAGE user needs it to be USABLE THE WAY WINDOZE IS!!! (of course without the proprietary suckage.) It IS possible... :P

(note: I do realize this is a necro-post, but it bears addressing...)

Edited by ghost of delete key (see edit history)

I've heard of Appletards, Micro$oft, and a couple of the Windows ones, but not anything against GNU or Linux in general, although without each other, they are nothing (I just finished reading that Ubuntu Pocket Guide, so now im gonna say GNU/Linux forever and ever). Uh with that GNU/Linux spam aside. I doesn't see much hating on a Mac, I mean they make fun of apple, and OSX, but nothing that includes Mac, I have seen a lot of i(insert witty name here), stuff like that, like iSh*t, or iS*ck, or iPoo, stuff like that. I don't actually mind when we call them by deragatory names, because these people have watched and berated these companies on high profile sites like engadget, gizmodo, and techcrunch and other big tech sites, and since these companies have done nothing to even listen to their problems, so I feel that they are justified in hating on these companies. They want to see change, more than anyone, their customers that give a crap to actually post their problems, isntead of berating them behind a curtain, and still the companies do nothing about it. I mean I doubt Microsoft reads Xisto, but just google Micro$oft and you get thousands of listings on rants and ravings about them. But these companies do nothing but defend their products and leave non-chalant messages that need to be decrypted by a quantum crytographer to make some relevance to the situation.

I understand that these companies need to survive, and such derogatory terms can be damaging: but Micro$oft really are one of the crappest companies around. They've killed off competition by bundling their crappy software, and have built a monopoly over most services. I still can't believe some people use the ported version of Micro$oft office on Macs, OpenSource has the same capabilities and runs far smoother: without the hundred pound price tag.I guess I have no real basis for my hatred of Micro$oft other than the fact that every single one of their products I have ever used has either gone wrong, or been a massive disappointment. I personally don't own a console, but I remember lots of my friends gloating over others who didn't buy the Xbox 360. Now, a few years later- over half have had to replace the consoles or have switched to PS3s- which come with free connectivity.Also, Project Natal will probably suck too. So far it looks like nothing more than some sort of sadistic grooming simulator- and they've found out the demo video was faked.To conclude, Micro$oft name should be taken in vain until they no longer control such a large share of the computing market.