xisto Community
CiniMen

Group Limitations Answer some questions about charectoriation from groups in earlier edu

I think that groups are very restrictive at schools. You just sort of fit into a group and than stay their for the rest of your education. At least at my school we started out as a group in about 6th grade. After that it is basically the same people every year. Then every now and then their is a new student that comes around and all the groups try to get the new guy to join them. I have to say that it is somewhat funny how the groups just sort of start calling each other by a certain name. For instance in my school we have the farmer hicks, the thespians, and the people that think they are popular. It must be interesting to see what each group calls each other from there own points of view. But back to the point do you think that by classifying groups we are limiting our development as children? Is it sort of choosing the person we may be in the future? If so, doesn't that mean that a lot of who we are is created by peer pressure? And finally, if you hung out with everybody at your school would that broaden the paths you may take as an adult?~Thanks

It's a good thing as long as you stick to the right group.But again you can never tell when a group will turn into a burden. That depends a lot on your relationship with its members and if you all have many things in common.Some groups continue even up to the university.

"It's a good thing as long as you stick to the right group"Only thing about that is as long as it's the right group for your own personality and likes and dislikes, your in the right group. And every group thinks theirs is the right group, or the best group, whatever. People just like to hang around with people that have the same interests as they do. The old "birds of a feather flock together" thing. It's not limited to schools either, adults do it as well. You'd never find me for example, hanging around at a People for the Ethical Treatiment of Animals meeting. (unless of course, I was well armed. :) ) And if I was there I'd probably be eating a hot dog :D :D :D

I really spent time with a lot of different groups throughout school, and even throughout the day. I don't agree with the view that hanging out with a single group is a good thing, as it cuts down a lot on experiences. Having the same close friends is good, but when it comes to socializing, spreading yourself out among a lot of different people helps you learn about different cultures, views, and other things.

I think rpg has nailed it.As a student, (yes, there were actual schools back then when I was young :D), I did the same as him. Being athletic, I hung with the Jocks, yet also participated in other activities like the Yearbook crowd which was more intellectual. I flittered in and around all the 'groups' and today I am also difficult to nail down into a "group".I think it benefited me by developing a General Knowledge rather than a set of skills which pidgeon-holes me into a specific mold.

I think rpg has nailed it.

As a student, (yes, there were actual schools back then when I was young :D), I did the same as him. Being athletic, I hung with the Jocks, yet also participated in other activities like the Yearbook crowd which was more intellectual. I flittered in and around all the 'groups' and today I am also difficult to nail down into a "group".

I think it benefited me by developing a General Knowledge rather than a set of skills which pidgeon-holes me into a specific mold.

I think not doing this is one of the problems young people have today, with a complete lack of understanding as to how different people really are. And I think the groups themselves, with peer pressure, are the ones that push for it the most, with the "you're either one of us or you're not" attitude, pretty much forcing those that are looking for social acceptance to really limit their reach.