xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
takotsu

What's The Problem With America's Youth? I have the questions, I want your answers...

At university, you don't really "get" any "homework" (in the sense that you don't get assigned any day-to-day practice sheets), but the "real" homework is that one big project that makes up your term paper. All the rest doesn't get marked.

So if it's not graded, you won't bother? Lol.

6 hours of homework comes sometime at around Grade 12, or at finishing school.

10th grade 2nd semester: AP European History, PE, Honors Pre-Calculus, CP Chemistry. Ended up with 4.5 gpa, spent about 1 to 2 hours of homework per night. 11th grade 2nd semester (currently): Spanish 2, AP Calculus BC, Physiology and Anatomy, CP English 11. GPA in progress, spending about 2-4 hours of homework per night, mostly because of math. 12th grade I doubt I'll be spending much more.

So if it's not graded, you won't bother? Lol.

I didn't say that. I like to get all the practice stuff out of the way before its assigned.

10th grade 2nd semester: AP European History, PE, Honors Pre-Calculus, CP Chemistry. Ended up with 4.5 gpa, spent about 1 to 2 hours of homework per night. 11th grade 2nd semester (currently): Spanish 2, AP Calculus BC, Physiology and Anatomy, CP English 11. GPA in progress, spending about 2-4 hours of homework per night, mostly because of math. 12th grade I doubt I'll be spending much more.

How do you get a GPA of 4.5? I thought the highest was 4.0 (A to A+). Unless, of course, I'm wrong and the maximum is actually 5.0 (100%)...

Anyway, you probably won't get about 6 hours of homework in any part of your education life. Maximum would probably be 5. Of course, in China, it's a different story... even in grade 9 people get about 3 horus of homework a day.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

@above post

You realize asia is going through the same cycle america went through, right?

Lets go from early 1900's to now

You had the boom in industry and people fighting for their rights

You had the "biggest and best" buildings competitions and gimmicks "world's tallest building" and such

You have Freedom Fighters

I could go on, but I doubt anyone would know exact things i was talking about.

There is a definate cycle, and i can remember reading more than once that Japan and other Asian countries are following in the footsteps of america on the road to immaculate economy.

again@above post

Did you somehow magicaly grow up in america and then shoot across the world to grow up in Korea again? Well then, you don't have a well informed idea of what America is really like. Yes, the schools are pathetic but you can obviously see people on the internet trying to improve themselves and each other daily. There are overachievers, but unlike you and your people we aren't forced to do anything. We have the freedom to do whatever we want. Capitalism trumps all cards. Anyone can become rich and powerful, it is all just drawing straws.

Well, obviously you misunderstood my intention. I think you thought I was criticising America, while in fact, I'm not.

I said I admire America for its creativity, openness and innovation. Without America the world would be much, much further behind, as in, primitive and not technologically advanced. This is a fact, because America has top technology institutions like MIT. The freedom granted to civilians in America is also a good point. I never did once mention that America lacks overachievers because I know there are many bright students there. Yet, somehow, these intellectual students are labelled 'geeks'. Where's the dignity in that? In Asia, bright students get respect and people befriend them because they are more mature.

Maybe I got my facts wrong, but all those Western movies propagate the idea that teenagers in America idolises what's 'in', always influenced by peer pressure and such. Don't misunderstand me though, I know there are a whole bunch of good kids out there that take their studies seriously and don't get involved in social vices. That's the America I admire.

I did not grow up in America. I'm an Asian all the way, never stepping foot on any other Western countries. So if you think that I'm somehow a pessimist and I like to insult America, then you're wrong. Like you said, I don't have a well informed idea of what America is really like. But do you have a well informed idea of what Asia is REALLY like? So before you throw accusations, try to get your facts right. Asian countries are growing at a rapid pace, but the cycle its going through is way different from the Industrial Revolution era. We are building upon existing technologies, and compared to when the Revolution started, Britain used relatively new steam technology at the time.

Plus, you forgot totally about the differences in culture, mentality and mindsets. Asian will never go throw the same cycle that Western countries have. We have a different approach to things and the Eastern values of humility, respect for elders and adherence to traditional values are very much alive in Asians. I don't mean to insult or anything, I'm just trying to get my point across. So if you are insulted, then you are narrow-minded indeed.

Just my two cents.

Regardless of what you say, Asia is going through the same cycle. Obviously, you have to add the variables of war and disaster etc that will change how the country goes through the cycle, but the cycle is still eminent.

My "idea" of Asia wasn't derived from movies and other media, it is derived from common knowledge and discussion with people's from the area. I also have researched a bit about it. Thats why i think my saying you dont know what the "real america" is like holds a bit truer than you trying to backfire it.

if you have researched that asia is going in to this cycle then how come there are no/few school shootings in asia?sorry but telling others that they are wrong and you are right is why america is going down the drainamerica is too open minded that it corrupt themselves. if you look at the news right now they are legalizing marijuana. my prediction in the future marijuana will be the next cigar.most asian countries are too conservative that outside influence is shunned/ignored.western beliefs will not completely invade asia because it is contradictory of their beliefs.democracy is the only one greate gift of america for me and thats it.

How do you get a GPA of 4.5? I thought the highest was 4.0 (A to A+). Unless, of course, I'm wrong and the maximum is actually 5.0 (100%)...

Yea, but technically, the GPA is unlimited because you can take outside classes in a community college and have those classes count as AP classes. 4 AP/Honors classes can get you a 5.0, but you can throw in outside classes (I plan on adding 2 in senior year, trying to get a 5.5 if it's possible) and go higher.

About America, Asia and creativity and openness. To be completely honest, I always thought Japan had the right idea when it came to openness and creativity. Over here in America you have groups of people both in and out of the government who are restraining and even trying to choke out creativity. It's really quite sickening because all it is, is them trying to push their morals on to everyone else.When in fact, parents need to get off their lazy asses and tell their kids what they can and cannot do, and actually enforce it, rather than relying on the FCC to keep quality entertainment that children shouldn't watch off tv.I know China is a whole different story, but i was mostly pertaining to Japan and South Korea.I don't care what ANYONE says, it's boils down to shi**y, lazy parents. People are relying on the school systems and television to raise their children, when in fact it is the LAST thing they should count on.

if you have researched that asia is going in to this cycle then how come there are no/few school shootings in asia?sorry but telling others that they are wrong and you are right is why america is going down the drain

america is too open minded that it corrupt themselves. if you look at the news right now they are legalizing marijuana. my prediction in the future marijuana will be the next cigar.

most asian countries are too conservative that outside influence is shunned/ignored.

western beliefs will not completely invade asia because it is contradictory of their beliefs.

democracy is the only one greate gift of america for me and thats it.

Well, if this is near-flame i'm sorry, but i think it has to be said.

Are you a *BLEEP*ing moron? School shootings and the like are the product of individuals, not society. How the hell do you link economic cycle and school shootings together.

The only conclusion i can come to is that you didn't really read our posts, and just skimmed them. Please, at least read my whole post before accusing me of being the downfall of american power.

FYI everyone, just because america drops to second or third place doesn't mean its *BLEEP*ed. Jesus christ, being second best isn't the worst thing to happen.

So please, yours is the only "closed minded" thing i have seen on here.

Read a *BLEEP*ing book, the world isn't as black and white as you seem to think.

Are you a *BLEEP*ing moron? School shootings and the like are the product of individuals, not society. How the hell do you link economic cycle and school shootings together.

The only conclusion i can come to is that you didn't really read our posts, and just skimmed them. Please, at least read my whole post before accusing me of being the downfall of american power.
FYI everyone, just because america drops to second or third place doesn't mean its *BLEEP*ed. Jesus christ, being second best isn't the worst thing to happen.

So please, yours is the only "closed minded" thing i have seen on here.

Read a *BLEEP*ing book, the world isn't as black and white as you seem to think.

He isn't linking economic cycles and school shootings. He's linking the media to school shootings. America concentrates on the wrong liberties nowadays, which lets a lot of things go wrong.

And yes, American power is beginning to downfall. It's inevitable. And it isn't just second and third anymore. The only thing it's first in now is pretty much purchasing power parity.

No, the world isn't black and white. But America is starting to fall out of the "white" area and into the "gray".

In a place with the most murder in the world, I'd have to disagree, it is society's work.

20th place in terms of education in high school, last time I checked. Then again, it's really not fair because America has more retards (no, seriously).

20th place in terms of education in high school, last time I checked. Then again, it's really not fair because America has more retards (no, seriously).

Sure it has more retards. The difference is, these retards were born that way. Their parents don't bring them up correctly, and you have a recipe for retardation. You can't really put the blame squarely on anyone. It doesn't fit. The government has to do with it, the kids themselves have to do with it, and so do their parents, the media, and all those things.

Sure it has more retards. The difference is, these retards were born that way. Their parents don't bring them up correctly, and you have a recipe for retardation. You can't really put the blame squarely on anyone. It doesn't fit. The government has to do with it, the kids themselves have to do with it, and so do their parents, the media, and all those things.

Which brings me back to my first post here <_< although I put a bit more blame on the individual.

Then again, it's really not fair because America has more retards (no, seriously).

America also tests all school children and i think i remember reading somewhere that Japan and China only test those in the highest percentile.

I could be wrong though, this isn't a recent find by me.

Parenting is a lost art, by and large. It's been replaced by pharmaceuticals and the internet/ wireless phones. And government mind-control brain-washing centers (public schools).