xisto Community
abminara

How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

I dont really know how long a man can survive without water. But i have heard of something crazy like this.

There is a village at north america ( if i remember correctly !!! ) occupied by some native tribals . And the water over there stays highly contaminated. So, the locals use some kind of a plant juice for all their needs . i.e, they take a liquid from these plants and use it as a substitute for water.

As i had seen it on a footage on a television channel, i do not remember the exact name of the village. But, if it is true, then a man could live for his whole life span without water, provided he has a substitute for it.

That's because you need liquids, not water to survive. That would be more correct. Anyway it depends from person to person how much you can survive without water. Also the temperature and humidity of the air counts a lot. If the temperature and humidity is higher your body liquids will run out faster. Normally it would take like 3-5 days for someone to die of thirst.

How long can a person last without food and waterHow Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

My brother in law has started the dying process on Friday, 10/16. He has pancreatic cancer at the age of 49.  He went without food for 4 days prior, then on Friday stopped drinking water.  By Friday night, had lapsed into a coma.  His breathing became so slow that it was only coming in gasps 2 breaths per minute through the weekend.  He's been medicated with morphine, adavan, and atropine all put under the tongue as he cannot swallow. he had no measurable blood pressure, and his heart rate was 130.  The nurse said his heart would get tired, and he'd go.  On Monday, he was so far gone, very still, and looked as if he'd expire at any moment, but he did not. On Wednesday, 10/21, his  blood pressure had returned to 80 over 60 and his heart rate went down to 89.  I put the phone near his ear so he could hear his son speak, and a tear came out.  It looked like he was trying to say something.  When I asked him if he was in pain, he blinked at me...To be sure, I asked if he needed some morphine, and he raised his eyebrows!  This morning, his wife said she wanted a kiss, and he tried to pucker up.  At this point he is 11 days without food, and going on 7 without water!  He has had no bowel or kidney sounds for over 4 days, but yesterday, he had urine in his diaper.  Should we call in a doctor to reassess him?  What does this mean?

-reply by Jalishelly

living without waterHow Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

My grandma has been dying of cancer and is now on day 13 without any significant amounts of water.  2 weeks ago she quit drinking from a cup and we started giving her 1 mL droppers of water... Probably 10 mL a day for 2 days before she lost swallowing capability.  So, today makes day 11 with no water other than wet rags on her lips to keep them from cracking.  She was a larger woman, but it is unbelievable that she has lasted this long.  A friend said his wife lived 15 days with no water.

I am researching this because of my own experience.  I was in a single car accident where fell asleep at the wheel at night and went over a cliff, landed upside down and hung that way in my seat belt for 3 1/2 days before I was found.  Of course, I was practically dead. The doctors suggested to my brother that they should "pull the plug" on me.  Fortunately, my brother thought he saw something in my eyes, and decided to wait a week.  So, I do not remember drinking anything for at least 4 hours before the accident.

Another question I have, is how long can a person survive upside down?

-reply by larry yuva

People can live up to a month without food, that's because their body begins to use up fat and muscle tissue to power your body's main organs(heart, liver, brain, ect.) But when it comes to water, parting with it for 3 days can prove fatal. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all your organs. Water also transports oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs. No water, no you. Simple as that.

It depends on their health, but people can live quite a bit longer than a month without food. Most estimates would place a person of average health within the 4-6 week timeframe, but (just like with water), there are outliers in both directions.

People can live up to a month without food, that's because their body begins to use up fat and muscle tissue to power your body's main organs(heart, liver, brain, ect.) But when it comes to water, parting with it for 3 days can prove fatal. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all your organs. Water also transports oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs. No water, no you. Simple as that.

I think your questions just a little general.I guess there's a lot of variations on this. Someone could probablysurvive three days without water out in the hot sun and then survive four days without waterstanding in the pouring rain.lol Don't forget also, a lot of food contains water, so if somebody had no water, but some food,including something such as oranges lets say, which contain a lot of water, he could survive longer without actually having any water so to speakI think a better title for this thread would of been "How long can someone survive without food and waterin a dry, moderate climate?". Really though, it's such an unlikely scenario for all of us on trap 17 that this thread might as wellof been called "Do you enjoy chewing gum while standing on your head?". I mean, where there are computersthen surely there must be a water source close by somewhere.It must be a nightmare for those who get lost at sea though.

Im sure people can live without food, longer than they can live without water. About 3/4 of the brain is made up of water, and 3/4 of the human body, in many different areas, including blood itself which contains water!Not drinking for two whole days as someone said - is pretty much fatal as far as I can think. Try fasting, either religiously or as apart of a healthy diet, exclude water from your allowance and find out how a few hours can seriously affect your health momentarily. However it is proven to improve your bodies defences in the long term...Anyhow, going off topic! Without water for two days id say was enough to put a young teenager in to deep sleep and eventually death. For adults - again depending on height, age and mass, up to three days - maybe 4 or 5 at the VERY MOST, but I bet on 2-3 days...Just to round up, water is essential, and appreciating it is just as essential as it is for your body. We dont think much when we drink it, but ever few seconds someone across the world dies due to a lack of water, or often clean water. Water is a rarity in some places, a problem which my geography tutor once said, takes just a fraction of the worlds riches - to eradicate the problem all together...:P

Why are you saying 3 hours without shelter? That doesn't even make any sense. You can survive a lot longer than that without shelter. The rule is 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. Granted 3 minutes without oxygen is off because people can hold their breath longer than that. Also I'd agree more with 30 days without food than 3 weeks, but they're both close.

Just so you know, what people actualy NEED to survive is : Food, water, oxygen, temperature, and atmospheric pressure. The 3 rule just addresses food, water, and oxygen because it assumes you're on earth and have atmospheric pressure, and temperature varies too much depending on where you are. Although there is a time where you die from hypothermia that you could include, but it all depends.

Anyway, I've seen people that do free diving that hold their breath for 5 or 6 minutes. They don't suffer brain damage or lose conciousness. They just have an abnormal lung capacity. People have also been recorded going into a meditation like state and staying under water for over 17 minutes, it's in the guinness world record book if you want to look it up. But I'd agree that that's abnormal and 3-4 minutes seems more reasonable.

-reply by bobtini

How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?I agree with the post about the people who drink the juice of some plant. I personally don't drink straight water and haven't except in very small amounts in the last 20 years and even prior I certainly didn't get close to the 8 per day. The fact is that food and other beverages contain water that the body needs to survive so this is a bit misleading in the title.-reply by Jonathan

How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

My father is in the process of dying in a nursing home. Today is his 86th birthday. I can tell you, based on my current experience with my Dad, that a man can live more than 5 weeks without food and more than a week without water. My Dad cannot swallow and has a health care proxy stating that he does not want to be kept alive by artifical means. So, my father has not eaten or received any nutritional substitues for 5 weeks this Friday. Also, his I.V., his only source of fluids was discontinued a week ago this Friday.  He is down to 80 lbs and I don't think he will last much longer than a few more days.

-reply by Deborah

It's comforting to know that one will die in as little as three days without water. I'm on day three abstaining from any fluid consumption. The only symptoms I'm experiencing at the moment is cramping in my right leg. No dizziness yet, nor do I have any maladies with my vision, no headache, but I'm feeling quite bellicose (irritable, wanting to punch someone's face out if they piss me off) and lethargic. For many of us life is a ***** and then you're dead. And don't worry about heaven or hell because they absolutely DON'T exist. Dead is dead.  

-reply by Atheist Steve

My most recent encounter my farther in law who was in my care went 24 days without food and 11 days without water. didn't want anything and could force him. He had an advanced directive as to not be kept alive by artificial means.

My friend has tried this. it had been been 42hrs without water and food. and she was doing fine. she said she just felt a lil tired. i doubt that she would have literally died at the end of the third day. to the max she would hav lost consciousness.

Bumping an old thread here, but I felt compelled to after reading such inaccurate information.I am currently on my third day without food or water and I can assure you, I am not dead. I have a slight headache, feel a little lethargic and my eyes appear slightly bloodshot. That aside, I'm alive, so the 2-3 days in an average environment is not true. Perhaps in the desert.