xisto Community
abminara

How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

You coorect usually 3 days is the max for anyone to live without water, but I don't remember if the body starts shutting down or you just drop dead though. I found this interesting quote and I believe it is the most accurate of pictures with how long you can survive without water, "3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food." After reading a couple of articles it would see that a slow shutdown of your body is the most likely course as dehydration sets and starts ruining some organz and such, but of course I don't think anyone would test that theory though but growing up I always heard 3 days.

I think most people can live without shelter for more than three hours. Homeless people have no shelters and they still survive. o.O Correct my if I am wrong.

I think most people can live without shelter for more than three hours. Homeless people have no shelters and they still survive. o.O Correct my if I am wrong.

Yeah, shelter isn't as big of a necessity than food and drink. O.o i think it's kind of obvious homeless people don't have shelters..

Is that even possible to last alive for over 24-48 hours with no water? I think if I tried this I'd be just about dehydrating. :XD: I can remember me and most my foster parents in their family, we went to Cyprus and I tell you something. It was damn hot! We was going down to the town and the concrete was incredibly hot. I had to go back to our Villa and get my shoes on...never again did I go out bare feet! :lol:
-Sky

Totally possible. I go for 24 hours (I know some people who go for longer) w/o food or water once a month and feel fine. I'm quite certain that I could last over 3 days if I got something to eat.

I have no scientific knowledge regarding how long a person can live without water, but I imagine it depends on several physical and external factors. For example, if someone stays sedentary in a cool environment, he or she can probably live for a week without water I imagine, and perhaps maybe with admittedly ailing health for longer.However, I'm pretty positive that a person can live three days without water though given a physically comfortable environment with no strenuous effort; another man's plight has proven this already. I'm not sure if I can link to external videos or websites on this forum, but do a search for "man trapped in elevator" on Google or your search engine of choice. You'll undoubtedly find at least one example of the man who was trapped in his corporate building's elevator for at least 41 hours -- no three days, but he wasn't terribly dehydrated either for what the ordeal was worth.To support my ideas, searching online I found that a human can survive for 10 days in 60 F climate with "shade" if he has access to no water at all. Using the same chart, for a human to have only three days of life left, the weather or atmosphere has to be a scorching 110 F. Of course, these measurements take for granted that the person wouldn't be involved in strenuous physical effort of any kind.All the same, I can't definitively prove how long a person can survive one way or another... at least, I certainly don't want to try it myself. :lol:

I know about a story in a town near my city. A man named Juan Perez who is a fisher was fishing in the middle of the Honduran Caribbean and a storm break the hull of his boat. He jumped to his safeguard.He could live 2 weeks without water in the ocean. The medics said that that was impossible, but Juan Perez is the testimony of that fact.I think that the time of live for a person without the water depends of mental strength.But of course I think is impossible that a person can live more than one month without water.

You're taking things based on best scenarios...

You don't only need to take humidity, air temperature into account, but also how much a person has had to drink already before that person gone into a waterless drought...

3 minutes without air isn't true, people have stayed up to 5 minutes? without air... 3 minutes is probably the limit where an average person would start loosing consciousness and brain damage starts to occur.

I would say two (2) to four (4) days without water, depending on Humidity, Air Temperature, and how much a person has had to drink already...

I would say maybe in the last 12 hours you would lose consciousness and your organs would slowly dry out and die away...

Impossible for a person to live without water. Substitutes also contain water.

In best scenario, high air humidity (around 93%, non-fogging), low air temperature (around 18C), A person who is healthily hydrated, drunken atleast 3.1L of water in the past 24 hours, should live around 3.5 days, or in other words around 84 hours, that is my assumption, so knock yourselves out trying to prove me wrong!

In health, exposure to the elements, shock, and panic can reduce your survival time in any situation. An important additional consideration is whether or not to eat food when there may be an inadequate supply of water. Certainly foods that contain a high proportion of water, such many kinds of fuits and berries may actually aid the survivor in providing water. Meat, dry and salty foods should be avoided as they require water from your body for processing and will serve to dehydrate you further.

:)

military survival / wilderness survival

How long can a man live without water?How Long Can A Man Live Without Water?

My aunt and I decided to do a search for this topic numerous times over the last two weeks and I came across this discussion board today.  I am shocked by the certainty so many of the people in here claim to have about a topic they clearly know little about.  My grandmother is on her deathbed and today will be 13 days without water.  She was in the hospital for two weeks prior and did have a lot of fluid in her body (all of which appeared to be gone days ago).  She has had no substitutes for water (unless you call Morphine a water substitute) and it has been over a month since she had food.  Perhaps 3 days is a norm for "some" people (be careful when using absolutes, folks), but we are obviously proving it to be very incorrect here. 

-reply by tess

OMG! Did your grandmother make it? Like alive? Sorry to ask but under those conditions...

Now you didn't mention the temperature range she was in...

Being in a sauna w/o water for an entire dayy (24 hours) would be like dehydrating in real life for like 3-5 days!! But saunas make you lose TONS of weight and water.. More water though.

-reply by whattafizzle

This comes from experience with my mom who is now in hospice care.  She lost the will to live and barely ate a couple bites of food per day and perhaps a few sips of water each day for 2 weeks.  She weighed about 90 pounds.  After that 2 weeks without much food and water she became bed ridden and could barely move. We arranged hospice care because she began to refuse to eat any food or drink any liquids, so she was given morphine to keep her comfortable.  But she was receiving oxygen.  She has been entirely without food and water now for 4 and 1/2 days.  The hospice nurses monitored her tonight and although her heart beat is faint, she is still in the early stages of dying.  It may be tomorrow (5 days), but since her heart was not diseased and is still beating, it could be longer.  The hospice care said it really depends upon so many factors.  I would think that my frail mom who barely weighed 90 pounds would die within the "minimum" estimated time of 3 days that many people quote, but it doesn't always happen that way.  So with NO food or water for 4 -1/2 days, she is still alive with fair vitals.  And that is on top of 3 weeks of just a few sips of water per day and maybe a spoon or two of soup per day, and she is an extremely frail person.

I imagine it depends on a lot of things. Like how well hydrated you were before you started going without. Or if your body is used to running off of very little water. How hot the place where you are is. (After all, if you sweat, you'll deplete your water supply faster.) Working hard vs. conserving energy would also come into play. You can't put an exact number of days on how long a person would live without water, it varies from person to person, and depending on the situation.