xisto Community
Dagoth Nereviar

Growing My Own Venus Fly Trap! Updates weekly :D

Thats really too bad that it hasn't sprouted yet. I was looking forward to seeing what was going to come of it, but it may be growing, just not large enough to peep out of the soil. If you do decide to dig it up do it carefully and try not to kill it, and if you see it growing bury it back and wait for it to sprout. I just think it would be way cooler if you grew it from a seed rather than bought a pre-grown one.

Thats really too bad that it hasn't sprouted yet. I was looking forward to seeing what was going to come of it, but it may be growing, just not large enough to peep out of the soil. If you do decide to dig it up do it carefully and try not to kill it, and if you see it growing bury it back and wait for it to sprout. I just think it would be way cooler if you grew it from a seed rather than bought a pre-grown one.

Yeah, I was really upset too :P I'm not too suprised though, coming to think of it. I used (boiled) still water, dirty stones and it's in cold, cold, uk :lol: But I think, since they're not used to the bacteria/moss/etc there is over here, the moss that's growing has/will kill it.

And, yeah, thats why I don't want to dig it up, incase it is still growing. I did put about 2-4mm of soil on top of it, so maybe I went abit overboard, so it'll take longer to "pop out".

I'm going to give it another 2 or 3 weeks, then dig it up.

This is what i think you should do get warm water poor it in the fish bowl make sure its warm not hot and then put you house tempeture to room tempeture but not cold so the plant can grow. if that dont work but your fish bowl in the freezer without the plant and the compost and then warm the compost then take the pot out and put the compost then warm water hopefully you start to seem some steam coming out that must be goood well thats my idea hope it works for you by.

Good news guys!I looked at Vikella (The venus trap) the other day, and it IS growing! There are two small sprout leaves/stems/whatever poking out... Through all the odds of bad water, cold weather and some sort of white moss, a small sprout has emerged! I'll take some new pictures and upload them soon :PAnd, as I type this, I have just spotted another sprout poking it (slightly away from the others)! Lucky i didn't dig it up, then ^_^I'm going to collect some rain water, boil the stones in it to clean them, wash the pot and the plastic tub out, then replace the water with warm rain water. I'm not suprised that moss has grown, its a warm damp place which is ideal for it, I'm just suprised it doesn't seem to be affecting Vikella...for now....So I'll take some pics and put them on my PC and then share them all with you during the next day or so :P

Great!!! cant wait to see the pictures of your baby venus fly trap. Good thing you didnt dig up!! Ouch 3.1 litres of blood, darn, thats a whole lot of blood, thats what I get for being curious and clicking on the link in your signature. Good luck with your venus fly trap, its my personal favorite plant.

Wow, how long has it been growing? Does it grow that slow?I wonder how long it taks for it to grow fully? Good luck with your Venus fly trap ^_^

Wow, how long has it been growing? Does it grow that slow?I wonder how long it taks for it to grow fully? Good luck with your Venus fly trap :P

About 10 - 12 weeks (my math is probably wrong ^_^ )

But apparantly it can take a whole year for it to become a venus fly trap with the snappers and what-not :D:P

So I might just buy an adult one aswell