xisto Community
devin_love3

Mirror Dimensions This wierd thing about mirrors

This is wierd. Why is that when you point a mirror at a mirror, you see an infinite number of mirrors that stretch on to who knows where? It almost looks as if you could climb into the mirror like a tunnel. When I was younger, I used to believe that there was another world on the other side of a mirror. An alternate dimension where everything is the same but with a minor difference. Like when you look into a mirror, you are looking at the other you. The only difference is that if you had an earring in your left ear, he has onein his right. And all text is backwards in this world. So what are some scientific theories about mirrors in relation to alternate dimensions?

Edited by devin_love3 (see edit history)

The mirror image ends up to infinity... Just like space. What amazes me is, A tiny arrangement of 2 mirrors placed exactly opposite and parallel to each other helps us define infinity in reality.

About the Mirror Dimensions thingy, I think you are referring to Parallel universe

Parallel universe or alternative reality is a self-contained separate reality coexisting with our own. A specific group of parallel universes is called a multiverse, although this term can also be used to describe the possible parallel universes that comprise physical reality. While the terms "parallel universe" and "alternative reality" are generally synonymous and can be used interchangeably in most cases, there is sometimes an additional connotation implied with the term "alternative reality" that implies that the reality is a variant of our own. The term "parallel universe" is more general, without any connotations implying a relationship (or lack thereof) with our own universe.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Side Note:

Its said, your astral world is the real image and the world we perceive is the mirror image of the astral world. Like the reflection of tree along a river with leaves and branches at the bottom looking like its roots..

What we do and our actions (in real world) build our image/karma in the astral world which cause things in the real world. Because only then, things like luck, fate, destiny etc come in picture (according to me).

This is wierd. Why is that when you point a mirror at a mirror, you see an infinite number of mirrors that stretch on to who knows where? It almost looks as if you could clinmb into the mirror like a tunnel. When I was younger, I used to believe that there was another world on the other side of a mirror. An alternate dimension where everything is the same but with a minor. Like when you look into a mirror, you are looking at the other you. The only difference is that if you had an earring in your left ear, he has onein his right. And all text is backwards in this world.

It's quite a popular idea in children's books and TV shows, and I think a lot of people quite like the idea. Mirrors seem quite magical and mystical until you understand how they work.

So what are some scientific theories about mirrors in relation to alternate dimensions?

There are many scientific theories about dimensions we cannot see. For example, there are theories about cylindrical dimensions (as opposed to our linear dimensions, including time) which could hold extra particles we don't know exist. However, as far as I know, none of those theories have anything to do with mirrors.

Like OpaQue said, you are most likely thinking of parallel universes rather than alternate dimensions. There are theories that state that, at every single point in time there are many universes covering every single particle in every possible location and state. That is a colossal number of universes for each single moment in time. It just so happens that we go through the apparently logical route, It would be entirely possible, yet rather improbable, that, as you crossed the road in New York, for example, you could turn into a pomegranate and end up in the River Thames. As every possible option would exist simultaneously, that would include a universe where everything was exactly mirrored - where every particle was apparently swapped into a mirrored position.

some movies kind of make mirrors seem like a window to another dimension... or at least i think so... like say for instant, in movies ghost always appear in the reflection within the mirrors! or do they just to it because its scary to suddenly find out there is somebody watching behind you :-O

the thing i find is that the mirrors seems to curve off to the bottom left or right so i try to shift myself to get them exactly straight, never works though!What i find interesting about mirrors is the fact that if you asked someone what colour a mirror is, they would say silver, yet when we look into a mirror we see no colour, only whatever colour is being reflected... its interesting because if you look at a mirror it looks silver, but then you realize you cant see the mirror's colour just a reflection, and even if that reflection is red, the mirror is still silver...

Oh, i've read about this in some books (in spanish) that Jorge Luis Borges (very famous writer) wrote called "Tl?n, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" and "El Jard?n De Senderos Que Se B?furcan" where he bases the whole story about the 11th tome of an encyclopedia (11 = can be psychologially deducted as 2 mirrors facing each other) that hides the secret of a parallel universe (called Tl?n) that is a mirror-copy of the world (mirror-copy meaning that if something happens in our world, the opposite will happen in Tl?n) and it has a lot of references hidden in the literature like using the words "false" and "copy" (with synonyms, not directly said) a lot.The first of these stories can be misinterpreted because theres one line that says about the "inexistent god" referring to the god that doesn't exist in Tl?n, but if it doesn't exist in Tl?n it does exist in our world... Many people think he is an atheist but he's not, only people who can't make something out of his stories (which are very very very complex) think wrongly of him.:o I liked those books, read them in spanish class :D

Oh, i've read about this in some books (in spanish) that Jorge Luis Borges (very famous writer) wrote called "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" and "El Jardín De Senderos Que Se Bífurcan" where he bases the whole story about the 11th tome of an encyclopedia (11 = can be psychologially deducted as 2 mirrors facing each other) that hides the secret of a parallel universe (called Tlön) that is a mirror-copy of the world (mirror-copy meaning that if something happens in our world, the opposite will happen in Tlön) and it has a lot of references hidden in the literature like using the words "false" and "copy" (with synonyms, not directly said) a lot.
The first of these stories can be misinterpreted because theres one line that says about the "inexistent god" referring to the god that doesn't exist in Tlön, but if it doesn't exist in Tlön it does exist in our world... Many people think he is an atheist but he's not, only people who can't make something out of his stories (which are very very very complex) think wrongly of him.

That is really interesting.... I would love to read those books.

Moving on back to the threads subject, I have never deeply though about infinity in the mirrors, all i though about them was what I was able to see in them, because when you look at a mirror standing right in front of it you cant really see the infinite reflection because you would be blocking it from your eyesight. If you want to see many reflections you would have to view the mirror at an angle but then the reflections would be limited cause they would end at a side of the mirror. Maybe with a camera one could see all the reflections, but it would also have to be transparent. I wonder how many reflections can be seen in mirrors, and if you would need like a special microscope to see how small an image can repeat itself. Would there be a limit?

I also find the color of the mirror question really interesting... Without something being reflected in the mirror, what color would you consider it being? Is it possible?

I also find the color of the mirror question really interesting... Without something being reflected in the mirror, what color would you consider it being? Is it possible?

Colour depends on the light hitting the object. For example, a 'green' object under red light would actually appear black. Following this definition, a mirror has the colour of whatever is placed in front of it.

However, most of the time, colour is defined under white light. In that case, the mirror would be defined as being white as it would reflect all of the light.

When I was a child I thought exactly the same, but i always realized that when I pointed 2 mirrors together, I could never get myself or the back of my head to show in the 4th or 5th reflection (if you can follow it ^_^ ) but i also realized that it always curves off, even if the 2 mirrors are parallel to each other, I think it would be cool of one were able to see down the curved pathway.

When you look into a mirror, who are you really seeing? are you seeing yourself as a "human" or are you really looking into a different person, as if they are not yourself? I never feel "connected" to the person im seeing in the mirror... but yet we are still the same, are we not?

I read an article a few months back about a person's "third eye" or "pineal gland". In the article it says that certain wiccan and african religions use mirrors to see into the souls of people. The article claimed that looking in a mirror will make some of your soul deteriorate... because the soul in the mirror is a reflection/parallel version of your soul... an evil version of yourself. Looking in a mirror makes your soul afraid of what it is doomed to. You soul are always in denial... Your soul knows that one day it will become what is in the mirror. you are simply slowly becoming more aware of how horrible everything will be someday.

Thats why I hate mirrors. They tell the truth.

-Laura LindbergPosted Image

This is wierd. Why is that when you point a mirror at a mirror, you see an infinite number of mirrors that stretch on to who knows where? It almost looks as if you could climb into the mirror like a tunnel. When I was younger, I used to believe that there was another world on the other side of a mirror. An alternate dimension where everything is the same but with a minor difference. Like when you look into a mirror, you are looking at the other you. The only difference is that if you had an earring in your left ear, he has onein his right. And all text is backwards in this world. So what are some scientific theories about mirrors in relation to alternate dimensions?

There won't be an infinite number of mirrors, because it is:

1) A Rather highly unlikely chance of getting the mirrors to be EXACTLY opposite with no degree of variation or anything whatsoever. :lol:

2) The energy of the light passing between the (let's say, hypothetical) aboslutely perfectly parallel mirrors will fade out eventually as it goes into infinity. So at some point the light will no longer reach the next mirror in the mirror... not the next mirror in the mirror in the mirror.

If you look carefully you will realise that you can only make out a few... but not a quite a big number of mirrors at all, and the rest fade into darkness (or should I say greyness?)

When you look into a mirror, who are you really seeing? are you seeing yourself as a "human" or are you really looking into a different person, as if they are not yourself? I never feel "connected" to the person im seeing in the mirror... but yet we are still the same, are we not?

I read an article a few months back about a person's "third eye" or "pineal gland". In the article it says that certain wiccan and african religions use mirrors to see into the souls of people. The article claimed that looking in a mirror will make some of your soul deteriorate... because the soul in the mirror is a reflection/parallel version of your soul... an evil version of yourself. Looking in a mirror makes your soul afraid of what it is doomed to. You soul are always in denial... Your soul knows that one day it will become what is in the mirror. you are simply slowly becoming more aware of how horrible everything will be someday.

Thats why I hate mirrors. They tell the truth.

-Laura LindbergPosted Image

I have a question to this. What if the person that is looking through the mirror in "reality" or in out world is evil themselves? Then will they be even more evil? Or will they be the opposite of evil? Good? Then it just means that the good people are bad, and the bad people are good, and yet even if their morals are completely the opposite, they still do good and bad things respectively, and opposite in the mirror.

For example, if you look at a "evil" person and criminal murdering his or her own mother, then according to your speculation and fantasy (I can't say hypothesis because it cannot be tested by science nor by logic), then the so-called "evil" person actually has "good" intentions, and yet they are doing a "evil" thing, depending on how you define "evil".

Then what makes a person "good" or "evil"?

About infinite mirrors:

Although, it should be possible theoretically to get infinite mirror reflection by using some equipment to make exactly straight mirrors and align them exactly opposite, it cannot be done generally.

About the colour of a mirror:

The colour of the mirror is silver. Since its basically an alloy surface, which is silver, that has been smoothed out and painted on a glass to prevent it from getting dusty and bending.

Just look at the back of a mirror. Its the same thing from the other side, just smoothed out.

About colour of infinite mirrors:

I have always bound it to be a light greenish colour. Especially noticeable in barber shops.

Colour depends on the light hitting the object. For example, a 'green' object under red light would actually appear black. Following this definition, a mirror has the colour of whatever is placed in front of it.
However, most of the time, colour is defined under white light. In that case, the mirror would be defined as being white as it would reflect all of the light.

Reflect all of the light? So you are saying put a mirror on either exact opposite side of the sum and it would radiate to an infinite amount of light?
A mirror can only reflect what is sees. Light is not infinite itself. Therefore it can not be mirrored into infinity. If I were to take a single ray of light and diagram it, it would resemble that of a cone or triangle coming from the source to wear it eventually loses it's energy. This is why we can not see stars in other galaxies without some sort of help. So if I took that triangle and put a mirror it it's direct line of sight, where then is the rest of that triangle? It has to be somewhere, it just doesn't disappear. it gets redirected. A mirror does not multiply, on reflects.