xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
t3jem

Google Web Accelerator A review of a mainly unkown service from Google

A relatively unkown feature offered by Google is it's web accelerator tool. The application speeds up the loading of pages to save time while surfing on the internet. I usually don't post reviews (mainly because I'm too lazy), but I've had an interesting experience with the program and feel like sharing.I first used the application about a year ago I think, back then the application was still in development and when I used it, somehow it made the bottom bar of the firefox windows sinch up to halfway up the window so I pretty much got half a window for browsing the web. Well, recently I stumbled upon it again and figured they probably had the problem fixed again and installed it, the problem was fixed. Now for the weird part, since the application caches websites to make them load faster, some sites may not load properly, such as Xisto. I used the google accelerator as I was logging into trap and found that everytime I did it would just bring me back to the forum root without logging me in, luckily the gadget comes with a feature to turn off acceleration for certain websites.For my review of the product, I would have to say that it probably isn't worth the download if you have a decent internet connection; however, if you go to a site that doesn't change that often and you have a slow internet connection it may help alot. I'm not bashing on Google at all in this review, just merely explaining what to watch out for in this one product.Hope this helps others out as they give the web accelerator a try. :)

Oh... Google Web Accelerator is very amazing for me because it makes my internet connection fast even though it's only a bit. Well, I'm still loving and still using that very good object and I hope it will be more improved as we didnt expect before! :)

I use something similar for Firefox called "Fasterfox", which basically loads pages faster and you can adjust your settings, like leaving it on default or on "Turbocharged", exceeding RFC specs.

I use something similar for Firefox called "Fasterfox", which basically loads pages faster and you can adjust your settings, like leaving it on default or on "Turbocharged", exceeding RFC specs.

Oh, that sounds cool. I'll search for that "FasterFox" thingy and I'll test it out if it really works and fit for my needs.

i have tried using google web accelerator. but i didnt find any difference when browsing without it and when using it.there is totally no use with it. it is not like most other google services. this one is not at all useful. even for low bandwidth connections it is of no purpose. at first i thought it was good and installed it but i was totally disappointed after using it. it just increases the the processes running in your system and make it slow.it totally is a flop.

May try this out, sounds intresting. I used a Firefox accelerator before, didn't work to well. Infact, I think it slowed down the loading speeds of sites.My pages load quite fast anyways, so I see no point in accelerators really.

Be carefull i have detected a biug with google search.On firefox and iE when you search in google and opens another window it will open googlesearch results in neighbouring window as well.It could be googles own spyware.So do check it out before it eats your PC.

Yepp this happens to me a lot with the google web accelerator. What I did is just push stop google web accelerator whenever I am on a forum, or site with newly added content.

I thought Firefox already cached pages, and it's pretty good about knowing what pages not to cache. If you want pages to load faster, you should just pay for faster internet.

yes it is good however all request one thing i donw like is most of you request now go 2 the google server3 problemsIf google goes down then what?Is google sniffing your data?And sites will see google's ip not your so ip Based login will not work because Web acceleartor dont catch all the linksI would reccomend if you use Firefox to get fasterfox works just the same but uses you ip and has more settings

The google web acceleratore doesn't work through google, it is just a plugin for firefox to cache the webpages you go to so the next time you go to them it will load them from your harddrive not the internet, in effect loading frequently visited pages much faster than you would normally do; however, the problem is on login site such as Xisto, when it's cached you aren't logged in, so when you log in, it loads the unlogged in site and it pretty much confuses your browser and makes forums hard to use, so this was just a warning to turn it off in forums and sites that often change.

Sounds like a cool thing, but after a while, im sure all that cache adds up, and potentially slows your computer down. Idk, thats just what i think about it. but i guess every now and then, you could clear out your cache if you wanted... but w/e hf with it :P

I have heard bad things about it slowing down pc's and making it easier for viruses to get onto your system (downlooads virus and excecutes it when u open the page, coz it opens all the downloaded files) And doesnt it only work with dial up?? I have broadband, but when I max that out, it goes slow