xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ouroboros

Anyone Tried Digg As A Marketing Tool?

Just wondering if anyone had used http://digg.com/ to help bring traffic to their website or blog?

I had a lens that I just threw together over at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and after pinging it and all the other stuff, I still had very little traffic but after I added it to digg I got like 40 hits overnight.!

I know that's not a lot but the lens itself isn't SEO optimized and is nothing special other than the hot topic. Almost 80% of my traffic has come from digg!

I have a problem, my WordPress related posts are not very popular for some reason amongst the local community, probably because there are not many technically inclined visitors interested in WordPress. How do you actually add post to Digg? I know Technorati has a ping service, and everything is pretty automated once you set your posts to ping technorati when it is published.

I just go to http://digg.com/ and login and then add my stuff or my blogs. They'll ask you for the name, the URL, and a brief description. Have a short informative description written out before you get there because that is what will show up in the search engines as the description.

If you have a blog, go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and/or http://www.pingoat.com/ and ping it to technorati and about 25 other places at the same time! This gets the word out and also triggers the searchbots to come and have a look.

I put together a site the other night and did this and then went to digg and added it and by the time I checked the next day the site and the digg description were both already rated by google!

Steve

I have registered on Digg and actually got down to using it. It works decently well because I have had a couple of visits coming from Digg looking at my articles. Though it isn't much, it is indeed boosting my traffic. The 2 sites you have mentioned, they don't seem very popular and running though. How different are those sites from services such as Pingo-matic?

I was never able to catch ping-o-matic up and running, every time I went there it was down. Ipings has been up every time except once and pingoat is pretty reliable as well. They all three basically accomplish the same thing.I've noticed that although most of my stuff doesn't go over the top at digg, I do get a boost from it when I use it. Two other social bookmarking sites I use are propeller and zimbio. All three of these has made it to the first page of google in my narrow niche.

I was just considering trying digg myself the other day to test out how it might work. I think it would be good for new sites too, that don't get many hits to their articles, because they aren't so much in the search engines? I wasn't really sure how it all worked, or if it all worked, but I was still thinking about trying it out anyway. Are the hits that come from there targeted? Like they read a bit, and then hop over to your site if they like it? I just wonder because sometimes people put my sites into that stumble upon website and my hits go up like crazy for that day, but I don't think it's so much targeted traffic.Also, thanks for the links to the 'pinging' places. All these things are good to know if I ever decide to get a blog up and running. Hopefully the little extra things like that will help out :lol:

My guess is that Digg is already known by Google, when google indexes a site, they also check if the site is linked to any known sites that are already indexed into the google search engine. A relative of mine, however owned a massage business which had a website, it struggled initially, but eventually got it linked through a well known employer's site that is already indexed through google, and the parent site was in the top half of the google results when you type in the specific search term related to the massage business.

I guess I'm due once again to write somemindless articles about nothing and submit them to blog siteswhere they'll nest inside of fifty billion other blogs about nothing. The pain of it all.At least being relentless is a good quality.