xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chelcy

Starting PHP for PHP newbies...

I use the xampp package because it brings the Sablotron module. What is Sablotron? Sablotron is the module which allows you to use the XSLT PHP functions. Basically with Sablotron module you will be able to perform XML transformation in an easy way and dynamically with PHP.

Hey, I'm looking for pre newbiew PHP guides. Stuff like what folder on your host do you need to put your PHP file into. I'm making my first order form to email handler and the tutorial I followed was great but no mention of where to put it or if it matters. Does the code in the HTML page have to reflect a path to the PHP file? Just little thigns like that would be nice. W3schools are great for what they do but lacking on the real basic stuff.

Jamers,In order to run a php file on your local machine, you need to download some software. You could download all the stuff you need as individual packages, like Apache, mysql, php, phpmyadmin, etc. Or another easier method is to download a 'package' containing the complete works as a one-click install. I recommend XAMPP, which gives you Apache, MySql, PHP, Perl, phpmyadmin, Mercury mail server, and more.Apache uses the htdocs folder as the folder from which you access php files for processing. The XAMPP package requires very little 'tweaking' from the pre-defined settings in order to run php in your local environment. Once you have stored the php files in the htdocs folder, start your apache Server and then access them as "LOCALHOST/file_folder/File-name.php in your browser.Full instructions are available by reading the related tutorials in the Tutorial section here. Use the Search feature and search for 'XAMPP'.

i go to php.net for my sources. hands down for that website. although about the apache server, there are preconfigured servers that are available over the internet for download, like what the other people above me have mentioned. if you're one of those hardcore programmers, it's fine to install mysql, apache and php separately. i install them separately so it would be more convenient for me to update (especially php), although it's really hard. it usually takes me about half a day trying to find answers to some of the problems (i happen to encounter problems regarding installing php, since you have to have the dll's for php to connect to mysql database). i also use php myadmin for the database so i could see the table rows properly. i can use the console to manipulate the database, but i can't see the tables properly so i just use phpmyadmin for that.

no need to worry about that.so many software bundle that will automize installing php, apache and mysql at one click.if i were u, i will make google to be my best friend. learning spirit is the most important and good tutorial links also important. so, start googling then..cheers,

XAMMP is extremely is and is well documented. All you have to do is download their installation program and then run it. It will then allow you to start the apache (which includes php) and mysql services. Then all you have to do is either put your files in the web folder or create a virtual host (see the tutorial section here on how to do it). Then you are all set and can easily learn to program php on your own pc without ever having to upload a file to web server to test them

Just keep going with the PHP tutorials and put the .php files in your Xisto webspace. There are plenty of things you can do right here without going through all that trouble. If you want database then find a host with database. (not sure if Xisto offers this or not)No need to download and install and configure... that's only if you want to learn howto administer a server.