xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GaiaZone

How Would You Treat A Relative That Has Slashed His/Her Wrist I would like some suggestions.

Hopefully this is just a phase that she will pass through. All you can really do is hope that she'll see sense. It appears that she has set her mind that she wants to be 'emo' and nothing can stop her.

Trying to force her to change will only make it worse.

Believe me I take from experience that the sensation urge never goes away.

You always want to cut, I've quit for about 4 years now I get the urge to cut every single minute that passes by. She'll want medical attention immediately, I see my psychiatrist every week, she helps me with my self-esteem and emotional problems.

If she has set her mind that she wants to be 'emo' and nothing can stop her. I had to see the light that cutting was wrong and evolve to change and better myself. She also has to.

this is hard to deal with, but the real thing to know is that people deep down want to be happy, people can enjoy cutting their wrist, but they know its not what they want to be doing. so talk to this person, be open, honest and ready for a flood of emotion to come out of that person. the key here is to create an area of free open communication. the person should not have to feel that they need to lie or dress things up. they shouldnt have to fear some sort of punishment. just talk with them, they probably have tons of problems to let out, and tou have to make sense of it, if you decide to let yourself get angry with this person then they are just going to close back up and shut you out, and go back to cutting. however people, depending on their own way, like to be open and understood! exploit this fact and listen, listen, listen, listen and show that you care!one problem i see with all this is the task of getting the person to talk about it in the first place. this is tricky and requires you to actualy know the person, if you dont, do so. go out and spend time with the person and learn about them untill they open up to you. even if you cant stop them from cutting in one day you should be able to convay that you care and want to help. in any case this will take time, and should be approched calmly. and with an overload of understanding and willingness to learn.

Emo's aren't all bad. Well, the "I'm gonna' cut my wrists" thing is bad. :SIf someone in my family decided to go Emo on me, and start cutting their wrists, and isolating their self.. I'd have to get them some help. I'd call a helpline or something. Tell them to see a counselor. Where'd this Emo thing come from anyway?

Depression is a very difficult thing to go threw and wether or not she is just going through a phase or is actually depressed the best thing for you to do is just listen. Whenever you try and talk to your sister you say she always ends up screaming at you, thats a common reactions because she probally feels like your working against her and not with her. If you can show her that your on her side and seriously take an interest in what she has to say and whats on her mind, you might see some improvement. She doesnt want to here that shes emo or that she dresses like a freak, she doesnt want to be excluded from family outings and she doesnt want to lose touch with her family. whatever made her cut her self in the first place obviously ment alot to her. so just show your support and im sure things will get better.

elevate the wrist above her head. if an ambulance will/is delayed constrict the blood flow before the wound. ( this works as a double edge sword if its too tight then blood flow will stop and if too loose then its no use.applying pressure to the wound will also help.help her relax---.if your relative has bleeding disorders ex. hemophilia a, B etc. then just pray for a miracle :D don't give them drugs ex. aspirin-- this will let the blood flow more. heparin----- an natural anticoagulant that is used for medical emergencies ( not in this emergency)but the best solution to this one is to not slash your wrist.i'm trained in first aid assistance but has no public experience just a lot of knowledge.oh and also this are temporary solution. a hospital will do a lot better like a emergency doctor ( what i'm studying for right now)

Mmkay. She wants attention.The first thing to do is not be angry with her. This would knock the problem into something more unhealthy. She may have not been self-harming to cope with what she was feeling, so much as she wanted attention for her feelings.Sit down with her and talk. She may not want to talk, and she may shrug you off like you're an idiot, but it will stick in her head. She'll dwell on it if/after she stomps off to her room.Also, the isolation thing isn't going to make the problem better. Take her out places. To movies, art galleries-- find out what she is interested in (hobbies, etc) and take her to places that showcase that. Be a positive influence.I wouldn't recommend a psychologist quite yet, unless she continues the behavior even with positive influence on her life. Most teens go though this phase. It's more common in females. Also, try and reconnect her with her old friends, instead of the rocker people at her school. I can tell you, if she continues to hang out with them, she'll most likely get into drugs and alcohol. Talk to her about her friends and how they effect how she feels and acts.Good luck to her and your family.Much love.

RE: How Would You Treat A Relative That Has Slashed His/Her Wrist - I would like some suggestions.How Would You Treat A Relative That Has Slashed His/Her Wrist

Obviously, people here have no idea what they're talking about. Especially the part about "Mmkay. She wants attention.". This person obviously has no idea what he/she is talking about. People who cut do not want attention, but understanding; in fact, if you cannot understand them, it's better to leave them alone, especially if you're of a different age group than your reletive. A lot of people who cut wrists just want to be left alone and not bothered. They do not want to be bothered by things they don't care about.

-reply by Nekros

thank you!! and my oppion!How Would You Treat A Relative That Has Slashed His/Her WristReplying to iGuestThank you so much!! finally someone has the balls to say it you all have no idea what your on about unless u have actually done it unless you have been so low unless you have been so low that you can't feel anything I wouldnt say anything and shut your mouth cuz u dnt kno what you are on about anyways emo is a type of music it is a type of music that is expressive to raw emotions and calling someone emo is a stero-type like me calling you popular girls plastic barbie bimbos-reply by EMILYY!

Lots of good things have been said above. Your sister is going through an age that is easily influenced by others. For such people all that matters is "being cool". Teenagers are hard to handle....try to understand the reason behind her depression and do not get aggressive. Make her realize that you'll always be with her.

Edited by velma (see edit history)