xisto Community
spyzo101

Trap17 Forums: Is It Time For A Clean Out? ...yes, if I say so...

Poll  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think there are too many boards. Some of them should be deleted and the main page should be made cleaner to explain what each of the board is about. It is sometimes too confusing for me to know which board to post things in.

Due to the overwhelming amount of topics and posts etc., I think Xisto should have a trim of all its clutter.And if we go to a further extent reorganising the forums and possibly getting a rid of few.

This is only my point of view but what do you think?

They have really fallen behind in deleting and sorting through old posts. Some may say that post never go bad as new users look at them daily. Well i have news for ya: If every day you see the same view out your window, you will get tired of it. Just like forums. No matter how many people come to your house and look out and say "What a pretty View" you will still be bored to death. So many topics and threads are here from ages ago that need to be sorted through because most of them are old junk threads that people made for their friends or legal spam threads just to get credits. It reall annoys me how people can neglect a simple task. Not so simple now that there is probably hundreds of threads that need sorting. Most of the posters in those types of threads have deleted there accoun t or have just forgotten about it. I love trap 17 and I love what they offer. It is by far the best free hoster I have ever come across, but they need to do some spring cleaning in my opinion.

Blarg

I think we should archieve some of the older topics in an archieve section, away from the main ones. My reason for this is simple - there are many topics on Xisto forums that haven't been posted in for at least half-a-year or even a year. Many of these topics will likely never be touched. Also, a number of these "old topics" end up getting revived by members who find the topics in a forum search without realising the topic's age, and while this can be a good thing for the more informative topics, some topics such as those regarding "news" are too old to be useful anymore.So yes, I think there should be a forum cleanup. But with the posts archieved, not deleted.

I think it would be a nice thing, to basically prune all topics and ask members for forums that they think are most helpful and what-not. I do think Trap has a lot of clutter but I also think that they wouldn't want to get rid of all of it. Trap likes to be an information place where people can come to get info on things and it is a way that the site is found most the time, but I believe that it would do more good than bad if we were to clean house. The topic has been brought up before and didn't really do anything but maybe, just maybe one day!

I agree with all. If topics are deleted it would cause a huge screw up with the credits. The reason for all the forums was because things were unorganized in the first place. Large general forums had to be divided into smaller ones because topics were becoming hard to find. The forum categories are collapsible so if you don't particularly post in some categories you can collapse them to make it smaller and a little more easier on your eyes. I generally just look at thelast 30 posts anyway.

I think, instead of deleting posts, the posts should be in fact moved to a "catching forum" that enables post count.Like all topics over so many years old with the last reply maybe several months? years? ago, it should be moved to the "catch-all" forum...This way, people would still keep their credits and it also clutters up Xisto forums, and being a "catch all" forum, it could be hidden from normal user view and could maybe be "compressed" so it saves disk space for Xisto as well...So... To save even more disk space, many topics in the "{NO_POST_COUNT}" forums (maybe excluding the one with the lyrics and stuff) should be cleared completely, I mean pruned down to the last post... Which won't do anything to damage user's hosting accounts...So, this (In my opinion) is the way to go... And instead of making a subforum/forum for everything, they should be "generalized" and not so popular forums should be merged with another forum similar to it, or even deleted altogether...Another thing to do would be to prune inactive accounts, it will get back so many MySQL space, and would allow for more and more users to access and register on Xisto...Xisto should also be more strict on their free hosting to prevent sites that use up all their bandwidth almost instantly, or those that act as "relay" and/or "mirrors", there should also be more control on the free web hosting itself, even though many users upload archives, extract them, but don't delete them, this may use up disk space and should be deleted...More should be taken care to prevent spam messages, maybe put a "minimum word count" on certain forums where spam is most prone... Well, there are my opinions for cleaning up Xisto, and making it a better experience for all those loyal members out there :lol:

At first I thought this forum was huge, I did not know where to start. But after some time here I sometimes find it hard to actually find forums with topic I am able to reply to, so I would not say the forum is to large. Some more organizing would not hurt, neither would more forums. :lol:

I don't mind either way. I've been hosted here for over a year now and haven't really struggled to find new and interesting topics. There are certainty a lot making it easy to not find your way back to interesting topics(because in search there are so many topics listed), but I think that happens with larger forums anyway. If the forums were to be cleaned out, I dont mind. It wont affect me very much. But if they need to be, I don't think so.

Yeah I was big advocate of cache old topics back in 2007 just because of how much activity there was going on and on top of that topics were getting repeated, but there is a problem with cache topics and that is they would be close and so people wouldn't be able to post in them. Although would want to post in a topic that is already out dated by 3-4 years and so looking for it would take a while to look for a simlar topic if the search engines don't pick it up. Now though with Xisto feedbacker online it don't make sense to do it anymore.

Well I have to say yes it should be cleaned up. There too many dead posts or well just useless ones, sorry to say that. Many a time I have looked for something that I know about or could put my 2 cents worth in, and couldnt find anything. so do think of cleaning up the forums please.maybe even adding a little spot in there on weather? hint hint haha

Well, I just got to the community, and I might be interested in reading some of the old topics. What about the topics in the tutorials section, etc.? These are still useful. There's good information in those posts. If the forum has the space it needs on the hard drive, why go and delete stuff? I think some of these older topics provide a solid base from which we can work. Oh, and I certainly don't want to lose any credits. I'll admit that I was overwhelmed at first with the amount of niched forums, but I think this is useful now as it keeps everything organized, and you know which section to go to in order to find what you need. If there are less sub-areas, you'll have to wade through larger subforums, and it might take longer to find what you need, unless you're an expert at using the forum search engine.