xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wonbin

"gamer Buys $26,500 Virtual Land" (from Bbc News)

this phenomenon is nothing new. People used to pay money for rocks.. the guy who invented the "pet rock" made millions. Then, there's a guy selling plots of land on the moon.. nobody "owns" the moon (right now anyway) and therefore cannot sell deeds to it. Finally, there are people selling stars too. Buy a star and basically they name it after you cause most stars are just numbers in a catalog.People will buy anything. That's why there is always a way to make tons of money. Just gotta figure out what garbage people will pay for.

OMG! THAT IS SO CRAZY! I knew MMORPs were very popular and tons of people are playing them, but what is the world coming to? People spending real money in a virtual game is the absolute like the biggest thing a nerd could do...why not spend money on a real house than spending money on a house in game that you will eventually quit playing. Things like this I think are just stupid...but people think otherwise. I used to plya PlanetSide MMOFPS...the only fps game that is massively multiplayer, I loved that game and there is no cash system involved and it was still the best game. :P

Holy CRAP! That's stupid. He could've done that for free and make it how he wanted to: just learn lots of C++ and game programming and learn how to 3d model...he could've payed to have a virtual reality thing better than that...I mean come on I bet it didn't even take them a day to make that virtual island. I guess it shows us how popular (and expensive) MMORPGS can get. There are a couple FREE OPEN SOURCE 3D ones on SorceForge he could've helped them. One final word: MORONIC!EDIT: I can name two FREE open source 3D MMORPGs off the bat: Pokemon Online(mantis.desk.pl/PO) and Eternal Sun(esun.sf.net)...

Holy CRAP! That's stupid. He could've done that for free and make it how he wanted to: just learn lots of C++ and game programming and learn how to 3d model...he could've payed to have a virtual reality thing better than that...I mean come on I bet it didn't even take them a day to make that virtual island. I guess it shows us how popular (and expensive) MMORPGS can get. There are a couple FREE OPEN SOURCE 3D ones on SorceForge he could've helped them. One final word: MORONIC!

Yea that is true C++ coding get paid alot of money. But just for an island i think that is a waste but hey it's his money and if he wants to throw it away then go ahead! Plus he is probablly filthy rich so it doesn't matter.

Holy CRAP! That's stupid. He could've done that for free and make it how he wanted to: just learn lots of C++ and game programming and learn how to 3d model...he could've payed to have a virtual reality thing better than that...I mean come on I bet it didn't even take them a day to make that virtual island. I guess it shows us how popular (and expensive) MMORPGS can get. There are a couple FREE OPEN SOURCE 3D ones on SorceForge he could've helped them. One final word: MORONIC!

Actually, I think he made a sound investment. From what I've heard/read about the game he should be able to make profit on his island without too much work. You have to understand that he didn't spend lots of money just to own a piece of virtual island to look at it. Anyone with a crayon can make that. He made a real investment and he's made the investment to make money.

Saying that he could have made an island himself is missing the point. I'm sure he would need a lot more money to

1. Learn lots of C++

2. Learn game programming

3. Learn 3D modelling

4. Get a development team

5. Get visitors

6. Get visitors who pay

Not to mention that he perhaps doesn't want to be a games programmer and a project manager and a marketer at the same time.

Some people invest in physical islands, he chose for a virtual island. And I have no doubt he'll turn a profit.

ummm.... I think the people who created Entropia are filthy rich now, with the buying of that island, and all the money people are spending on items, plus if you look at the news on the project entropia page you can see that someone bought a space resort for $100,000.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/

It must be a fun game, I will try downloading it and playing it some time soon.

lol Well if 200,000 people use that game I am sure someone will buy it from him. I don't think I would probably ever play a game like that though because I would probably spend too much money trying to make it and end up losing in the long run. It is sort of like gambling and you just have to hope you buy the right stuff.. Very good idea though. The owner should make new levels and sell them to make money lol I might have to try that some day.

Thats pretty sad that people can be so much into games... I understand if you play some team-based game that brings fun by playing on lan with friends, facing others, winning tournaments. But MMORG's... nothing to say but waste of time and money. It probable becomes your job to play the game veryday and spend like 5-8 hours a day doing the same things. Many people probably won't agree with me, and say that only because I don't like MMORG's, I talk like that, but still think about how much time you could spend learning things instead of playing.

Perhaps video games have the same affects as alcohol and kill brain cells.Seriously though you must be pretty nerdy and rich to fork out that much for something that isn't even real.

Wow, I never thought you could by gaming land! I mean, if you're a fan, and if it doesn't cut into your bills, sure. I know I'd love my own island on World of Warcraft, especially if I could tax the vendors on my island and choose what can or can't visit there. (When I say "what" I mean monsters, too)Why does this remind me of the GM Island on World of Warcraft?