xisto Community
el109ci

Are You A Perfectionist? Good or Bad?

Something on a program made me think of this topic? I guess I always knew I was a perfectionist, but the program made me realise? well how much.So are you a perfectionist?Me? My friends say I?m a perfectionist, and I think I am.It?s about multiple things, but for me, I?ve got a couple of reasons?So for the first example, it?s my bedroom. It?s basically all in order, nothing is askew. Every book has its place, and they?re all in order if it?s a series. My DVD?s are in order, and so are my CD?s. My clothes in the wardrobe are in their own places. You can pinpoint the trousers there, and the t-shirts here. I fold my socks up? Or does everyone do that? If there?s any mess, I have to tidy up. Just because I?ll find it hard to find something if it?s in a mess. It?s really frustrating if you need to be somewhere, you?re late, and you can?t find something you?re after. So I just keep everything in order.That might not be so bad? but, then there?s the computer. My music is sorted into the correct folders, with the correct information on every track. All my computer stuff is in icons, and the font I always use is size 10. My word documents are in a folder, in a folder. Same with my pictures. If there?s stuff that doesn?t have a folder, I have to put it in one, otherwise it?s messy?. Then on the internet, I always have to delete my emails in my inbox because keeping stacks of them is untidy? I always thought that was just me? but come to think of it? I have my bookmarks in folders as well? Then in facebook, you know where everyone just adds millions of applications so it clutters up their page? Yeah me? I only have one row of applications, and not even that. Then about work, school or homework? My school work and homework have to be? well close to perfect. I want good grades, and a good score. If I do an exam, and I?m one mark away from an A, and that if I answered one more question right, I could have got that A, I would be? well, disappointed, sad, and? kind of beating myself up about it.. Kicking myself. Of course, as the day goes by, I know I can?t change that fact, so I just drop those emotions and go back to my proper self. I?m not the type of person to ask people?s scores and if I?ve got higher than them, I?ll be getting a boost on my ego. I don?t do that? I personally don?t care about someone?s scores, as long as mine are ok. But if I write something in lessons and I go over it, and it looks messy, when in reality, I guess it isn?t, I have to rip the page out and write it again. Maybe, reading the above, you won?t think I?m a perfectionist? but do any of you keep your lockers tidy, and the books in the right order of size?I also keep my bag tidy, in order of books ect.If a thing is out of place? like a sheet on a table isn?t aligned correctly, I have to align it correctly to satisfy me.. otherwise it?ll keep on bugging me, and I?ll do it anyway?. in the end.I also have to make sure everything is in the correct place, aligned correctly by mentally going over them in my head, and making sure it?s? well, in its proper place really?I think that?s about it? I?m not a perfectionist in terms of cleaning, and well, if something is dirty, I don?t have the impulse to clean it? just if something is not aligned correctly, or not in its proper place. My standards in a person is not high. I only judge a person?s heart and personality. If they?ve got a good heart and isn?t plastic or fake, then they?re alright.I forgot this bit: I disapprove of chat speaking, and text speaking. I guess everyone?s like that? but I also disapprove if the right punctuation isn?t used, like a comma or an apostrophe is missed out. If someone forgets the capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, that gets on my nerves as well? and when people go me and my friend, when it?s meant to be my friend and I, and when people go I done that, when it?s I did that? That gets on my nerves.I shake my head and frown at a lot of things?. Nearly all of them annoy me and tick me off?I?ve only started noticing it now? how long I?ve been straightening things when they don?t really need to be straightened? Hmm? Around? 3 years? Since I was 11... And I started secondary school. In primary school, I didn?t think I did it? although my tray was always tidy compared to everyone else?s. Or maybe it?s been happening all my life and I just didn?t notice? *shrugs*But yeah, is this .. Well? not a healthy way to live? Can you be ?too? organised? Will this turn into anything? well bigger? Am I born with it? Or was I just? well environmentally affected? ? Or simply, I?m a freak? Environmentally affected.. I?m wondering about that. My mother is the person to blame if this is true. She hates mess, and has to clean the house from top to bottom, wiping the floors, and the windows, basically everything so there isn?t any? mess? She wants us to keep tidy rooms, any rubbish and it has to be thrown out. The computer, is entirely mine? but my grades and school work? that?s my mum wanting me to do well in school? I don?t think my mother is a perfectionist. She just wants to keep a clean house. It?s not that tidy at her work place to be honest and she only wants the best of me?. I?m confused?.Anyway, are you a perfectionist? Do you think you are? Or are you far from it? I guessed being a perfectionist? is like? a kind of addiction?For better or worse, you tell me.

Edited by el109ci (see edit history)

So are you a perfectionist?

no i guess not

So for the first example, its my bedroom. Its basically all in order, nothing is askew. Every book has its place, and theyre all in order if its a series. My DVDs are in order, and so are my CDs. My clothes in the wardrobe are in their own places. You can pinpoint the trousers there, and the t-shirts here. I fold my socks up Or does everyone do that? If theres any mess, I have to tidy up. Just because Ill find it hard to find something if its in a mess. Its really frustrating if you need to be somewhere, youre late, and you cant find something youre after. So I just keep everything in order.

for me i'm totlay disagree
my bedroom. Its basically all in askew, nothing is in order
That might not be so bad also , but when it coms to the computer. My music is sorted into the correct folders
with the correct information on every track. All my computer stuff is in icons,. My word documents are in a folder, in a folder. Same with my pictures. If theres stuff that doesnt have a folder, I have to put it in one, otherwise its messy
just as you xpect i live in vutrul world
live in the computer work in the computer love in the computer
so it cant bee massy but i'm shure my live is massy

on the internet, I always have to delete my emails in my inbox because keeping stacks of them is untidy just like you
and i dont know where all this spam came from:D
I always thought that was just me but come to think of it I have my bookmarks in folders as well
if i didnot do that i wont be neding to use the bookmark at all over 1000 bookmark mak it hard to find any thing
if it was not in folders
Then in facebook, i'm not very pupler in them i do have page on facebook hi5 and so but i dont rely use them

Then about work
i alwes late never come erler
and homework
i never mak any homework after i finish my primry schools
even so I want good grades also 73.5%
If I do an exam i do it without even opening a book for all year

Maybe, reading the above, you wont think Im a perfectionist but do any of you keep your lockers tidy, and the books in the right order of size?

no i'm not but i think i will gave it a try

I also have to make sure everything is in the correct place, aligned correctly by mentally going over them in my head, and making sure its well, in its proper place really

will that is what i'm doing

My standards in a person is not high. I only judge a persons heart and personality. If theyve got a good heart and isnt plastic or fake, then theyre alright.

I forgot this bit: I disapprove of chat speaking, and text speaking. I guess everyones like that but I also disapprove if the right punctuation isnt used, like a comma or an apostrophe is missed out. If someone forgets the capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, that gets on my nerves as well and when people go me and my friend, when its meant to be my friend and I, and when people go I done that, when its I did that That gets on my nerves.

will i tray hard to do the spell check only but some times i tootly mass
i use the ie spell check and some times i forget to use it so my english became hard to understand

I would call my self a perfectionist. I also believe in orginised chaos. When it comes to my academic life I take no shortcuts. But when it comes to my personal life I don't care is things are in a mess.

So for the first example, its my bedroom. Its basically all in order, nothing is askew. Every book has its place, and theyre all in order if its a series. My DVDs are in order, and so are my CDs. My clothes in the wardrobe are in their own places. You can pinpoint the trousers there, and the t-shirts here. I fold my socks up Or does everyone do that? If theres any mess, I have to tidy up. Just because Ill find it hard to find something if its in a mess. Its really frustrating if you need to be somewhere, youre late, and you cant find something youre after. So I just keep everything in order.
That might not be so bad but, then theres the computer. My music is sorted into the correct folders, with the correct information on every track. All my computer stuff is in icons, and the font I always use is size 10. My word documents are in a folder, in a folder. Same with my pictures. If theres stuff that doesnt have a folder, I have to put it in one, otherwise its messy. Then on the internet, I always have to delete my emails in my inbox because keeping stacks of them is untidy I always thought that was just me but come to think of it I have my bookmarks in folders as well Then in facebook, you know where everyone just adds millions of applications so it clutters up their page? Yeah me? I only have one row of applications, and not even that.

Then about work, school or homework My school work and homework have to be well close to perfect. I want good grades, and a good score. If I do an exam, and Im one mark away from an A, and that if I answered one more question right, I could have got that A, I would be well, disappointed, sad, and kind of beating myself up about it.. Kicking myself. Of course, as the day goes by, I know I cant change that fact, so I just drop those emotions and go back to my proper self. Im not the type of person to ask peoples scores and if Ive got higher than them, Ill be getting a boost on my ego. I dont do that I personally dont care about someones scores, as long as mine are ok. But if I write something in lessons and I go over it, and it looks messy, when in reality, I guess it isnt, I have to rip the page out and write it again.

Dear God!

My mom would love to adopt you.. *Gets adoption papers ready* J/k anyway yeah I am perfectionist but being an oddball I am a lazy perfectionist...

If I want to do something it has to be perfect or else I will blow a fuse right then and there.. Now I have learn t not to destroy things that I cannot perfect :)

My room is like the weather, some times it houses kittens, junk, corpses and stuff.. Sometimes it is as clean as a whistle... Sometimes it turns into a maze where you would find me searching for something and finding something else.

But I am a perfectionist when it comes to plans, execution, my projects and quite a lot of things and all that I can say is that being a stickler for cleanliness can be the best thing you would want... I am reaching that level but it will take me some time..

Keeping stuff organized, clean and up to mark is a discipline that will always help you.. So I guess you are on the right path and today when you see your mom.. Give her a big hug and tell her how much you thank her :(

And Yes I am perfectionist when it comes to my personal growth (career, knowledge, spiritual and personality), Personal hygiene is very important to me.. But sadly my room gets neglected by me as I hardly have the time to read a book let alone clean a room...

P.S.. My mom is a perfectionist herself :(

I am a perfectionist with my work and relationships only. Everything else is chaos. My House, My clothes, My Car & everything is just mess. Strangely, though I'm not lazy but I like to keep them that way.

zamaliphe: lol! I see! Yes, you and I are kind of the same, yet not. I would revise before an exam :) Just to get the good grades and to satisfy me... But anyway, thanks a lot for your imput!roo.t: I don't believe in organised chaos... It has to be tidy... or I make it. Personal life... I think my personal life is already messy... and that's probably why I want everything perfect? velma: lol! Ah I see... I guess that's cool.. XD Thanks for your imput also. imbibe: lol! Yeah, it's good to keep things the same and to have just a pinch of normality in your life...Anyway, thanks for all your comments and for reading my long... essay? Your comments show I'm not the only one... of which I can breathe a sigh of relief :(

I forgot this bit: I disapprove of chat speaking, and text speaking. I guess everyone?s like that? but I also disapprove if the right punctuation isn?t used, like a comma or an apostrophe is missed out. If someone forgets the capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, that gets on my nerves as well? and when people go me and my friend, when it?s meant to be my friend and I, and when people go I done that, when it?s I did that? That gets on my nerves.

That sounds exactly like me. In fact, the other day one of my good friends online was talking to me on AIM and was getting on to me for always typing with correct grammar and correcting myself when I messed up. He wanted me to not capitalize everything and "relax" while I was typing in chat because apparently it wasn't "normal" to type so compulsively correct. It was really hard to not type correctly... I think I did for like 5 lines and then quickly reverted back to capitalization and punctuation. :P

I'm a perfectionist, and always have been. My desk in my room is very organized (except for one drawer that I stick everything in) and I like to have everything in it's place. I like finally having my own computer so I can organize everything how I want it to be. I don't think I have everything as organized as you have it with folders, but everything has it's own place. :)

I usually don't like having excess mail in my inbox, but lately I haven't been able to decide where to put a lot of the e-mail that I get so it's been getting cluttered. I've been meaning to go through it all and organize it...

I remember once while I was playing a MMO, I was organizing all of my items in my pack so that my clothes were together, weapons, and other tidbits that went together were all organized so that I could find it easily. I asked my clan members if any of them did that, and they laughed and called me OCD. LOL... I think it was then that I realized I was more organized than the average person.

Anyhow, know that you definitely aren't alone. :)

Yes, I am a perfectionist. Especially when it comes to my schoolwork, and homework. I always need to do things my way, the right way if you know what I mean. For me, it seems like no one else care about it so I always end up doing all the work on my own! But that is not really to bad, because then I am the one who learns the most. But I hate when I never get help, I really do. For example if we are working 2and2, I get a strange feeling that I am always the one who do all the work. I get so tired of it.But at home... nope. My room is a complete mess, I do not clean the house as much as my mom would like, but I actually do some chores.Something else that is kind of "perfectionist", is that I always need to finish something. One day I was playing a song on my keyboard, and I needed to do it perfect. And then I mean perfect. I could not touch or hit the other tangents then I needed to start over. When I did something wrong, I started over. It is completely weird, and it freaks me out. And every single time I did something wrong, I started screaming, yelling and got all MAD! And I do not know why. Oh, how horrible. I also have this thing where I need to wash my hands many, many times, and I can't touch anything on my way from the sink to the towel. It is horrible! Arrghh, I get so confused of it.At school it is not that bad. :)

I suppose I'm not a full 100% perfectionist.I used to believe I was, but recently I've noticed a change in me.It really depends. If I am on a website or scripting, Then yes, I won't release it until it's perfect but if it is cleaning my room or washing, then no, I rush it and it looks messy (not my clothes, but I won't wash them until the clothes pile is full!)Anyway, good topic.If I'm playing a racing game and have the slightest hiccup and it slows my time down, I will restart the race.I have even been known to upset friends by doing this in a 2player!!! :) I blame laziness if my work gets affected by sloppiness but I don't continue to be lazy and make sure the job is done twice as better, and put my 110% to make up for it.I guess it is to balance out a shoddy job!I really do kick myself sometimes for trying to perfection things sometimes, as i spend to much time on things and don't prioritize other tasks which can sometimes cause me allot of grief!! :)

O=, wow, it's like you made this topic specifically for me. Yeah, I have serious ocd issues when it comes to the everyday little things such as how my bedroom should look right down to how well my car should be parked. Yes I park my car at least 4 times before I actually am satisfied unfortunately a sad truth. Other activities that I take part in when submitting to perfectionism is how my locker looks at work, how my paperwork should look, right down to timing on what I do , when I do it. That way I can backtrack what I did, or what I forgotten within seconds since I do the same thing everyday. Most days I even know a very accurate approximated time when I am due for the restroom. Sadly I blame myself however I don't see work discouraging such behavior. At the moment it hasn't proven to be unhealthy so I'll continue this process to see if it proves to be worth while or not. However in the horrific event that it should, well, I'll probably come up with a solution, solve this, and report back.

I would say I am definitely not a perfectionist. And that is the way I like it. I can't really imagine having to have everything perfect, although when I think about, being a perfectionist is just how people want to be, not something they are born with or stuck with. I like things more messy than perfect. Thats just the way I am. Thats about all I can say about that.

Anyway, are you a perfectionist? Do you think you are? Or are you far from it?

I have to keep my room tidy everytime, basically for school, I am always in a hurry. Trying to find something in the clutter -- I either don't try find it or start digging and be late for school. Everything in my room is organized and some lable (like boxes in closet).

My computer is somewhat tidy, just music and folders in right place and thats about it.

Car is well tidy and little bit messy. CDs on the seat, bookbag in the backseat most of the time, or maybe books on the floor some times.

In school business, yes I have to be perfect in my locker or desk. I don't mind having people looking at my grades or I ask my friends what they got on something.

I am somewhat a perfectionist.

I'm not a perfectionist because I handle situations clearly and nicely. I dont need to be a perfectionist as long as I'm doing right. And I dont need to be a perfectionist as long as you are very organized with the situation and with the things around you.But, if there is a thing that will let me or others to be perfectionist, well I or we have to try it.

Hey..Go easy on yourself. I don't know what you do for a living, however I assume that if you're measuring within a 100th of an inch, you"re into a trade. I love to have my watch at the exact second. Isn't figuring the sun"s position in relation to earth an "exact" calculation. Galileo had it to the exact second. I think you"re OK. Just don't expect everyone around you to be perfect, then you'll be OK!It could be normal. Everyone has there weird little quirks. If it really interferes with your life or overly frustrates you, it could be Obsessive compulsive personality disorder. The only difference between this and ocd is that ocpd refers to obsessive perfectionistic behavior whereas ocd is mainly just performing rituals repetivitely and obsessively.I thinkyou are fine. you are just one of those people like my family. We like things a certain way.. even our television is meausured to sit exactly in the center of the wall, this goes for our couches, etc... i think its ok. Somtimes i find myself worrying about things that i dont perfect, but if you dont have those problems then your ok.But To be honest, you are a bit to the extreme, but being a perfectionist can have its advantages. You should be happy that you are not a slob, but at the same time perhaps you should try to tone down your obsessive behavior.I THINK THAT A PERFECTIONIST IS SOMEONE...To start, you need to begin by not settling for anything less than perfect. When something's not done correctly, fix it yourself. And don't let things be out of place or out of order. That'll be a quick blow to your image. So, basically you just need to begin by hitting perfection hard. Don't settle for anything less if perfection is what you truly desire. Good luck. =]To be serious, you can become a perfectly fanatic person! Only god (even that can be questioned) is perfect, and to try and complete with the big guy is not wise. You'd be a nervous wreck trying to be perfect but still end up doing something wrong, it is only human. We can all strive to be the best we can, and leave the rest to god. First learn to love yourself. List things you don't like and strive to change what is changeable, accept the unchangeable, and avoid the unacceptable. Cause no matter how perfect you may do things, there will ALWAYS be someone or another to mess it up for you and in trying to be perfect, you won't even be able to express your irritation at the idiot. Perfect people are always perfectly behaved, and that means no loosing tempers when things go wrong. SO just accept that you are not perfect, and try to just do the best you can, and stop worrying about the rest. Cleaning is a good habit, but being a cleanliness freak is not perfection it is a illness, find out where it came from and why!MY BEST ADVICE IS...You do not want to be perfect or close to it...then, you will have certain types of problems...stay normal, be the best, take care of yourself, learn, live, laugh, enjoy life...but never take yourself so serious that life passes you by...enjoy...adios!

Wow, yes, you are a perfectionist.And while there may be a lot of other people like you so you are not alone, you are going to be lonely, because you would drive anybody that wanted to get close to you crazy. I dated a guy like that once. He was always late. He couldn't get out of the house until he checked every plug in to make sure no electrical appliance had been left on, and had to triple check his image in the mirror and make sure every hair was in place, and a few dozen other nutty things. He drove me crazy. When I get ready to go somewhere I just make sure I have clothes on and that they are not inside out and I'm good to go!In a perfect world it would be great if every thing was in it's place and you could find anything you needed and knew exactly where it was. But the sad truth of the matter is most of us are slobs and don't have the time or patients to put every thing in to such meticulous order. And those people who do drive the rest of us slobs crazy.