xisto Community
Shafayat

Smallest Os With Gui

Hi!Considering how cheap storage is these days, perhaps you can look for a device with more capacity to store the operating system? You cannot find a mainstream operating system that fits into the space and does much, but you may be able to use purpose-built software such as the kind used in 'dumb' (opposite of smart, no offense intended to the phone owners) cellular phones.If you do want to have something that you can further develop based on your needs, you can take a look at the DexOS. It is written entirely in assembly language and can would be able to fit into the 2MB limit while providing a graphical interface and with TCP/IP networking functionality so you can also hook it up to the Internet. You can find it online at http://www.dex4u.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t
If you can, you should probably try to switch to a device that provide more memory and storage because you can get a lot of community support if you are going to base something on Linux (the modern-day Linux kernel takes over 1 MB) or on Windows XP Embedded edition/Windows 7 Starter edition. I would prefer Linux over Windows because you can take out components to the extent of editing the source code instead of the approach in Windows of 'un-checking' entire executables.As another forum poster suggested, you can also use DOS with a QBASIC front end that is quite easy to develop. There are tons of QBASIC programs out there that can demonstrate the use of graphics, the mouse, and sound adapter from over the years and if you can get your hands on the All Basic Code packets, which is a kind of a monthly magazine for BASIC developers, you can find lots of really neat stuff.If you do decide to build your own operating system, try to base it on MikeOS, which is entirely developed in assembly language, or on Linux, which has a larger kernel size but supports a lot of different kinds of hardware.

Try search for Windows 3.11, It's only 15MB.

Windows 3.11 would be great if you had a time machine to go back in time to 1993.

Not quite the size you want, but tiny core linux is only 10MB with a gui. And micro core linux, it's command-line-only counterpart is only 8MB. Technically, there is an OS with a GUI that is below 1/2 MB, and that's the one with the program spinwrite (sp? spinright?) but the only thing it does is fix harddrives.

<p>It is <em>very</em> possible, as a matter of fact 2mb is <strong>alot</strong> of space when you just need barebones functionality (usb, cdrom, tcp/ip, web browser, ftp, text/hex editor, file browser) </p><p>I made a fully compiled GUI in QB4.5 that uses a slimmed down MS-DOS. The GUI is only 100 Kb compiled and I've added some primitive hardware support for usb and Gigabit Ethernet and draws graphics directly by poking directly to main video memory. It also never uses more than 4 megabytes of ram unless dealing with large graphics in excess of the screen resolution. </p><p>The whole package fits on one floppy. 640x480x256, 80386DX or better, 4Mb of ram or more</p>-reply by That GuyKeywords: smallest gui os

I was wondering if you could perhaps send me a copy of your GUI interface, the one that runs on about 4 MB of RAM because i was actually trying to put something with a gui on my LG Cosmos VN250 from Verizon... but the thing is i really only want it to have time functioning, document reader, and external card media player... but it only has 18 MB of internal memory, and less than 10 MB of RAM... if there was a possibility of making external apps that could fit on the micro sd and actually read the external media and the documents on it... If your available to send it, my email is mr_angel_colon [at] inbox [dot] com

i didnt know if the forum would allow posting an email link directly, but if available, please send info on how to do something like that...

Please and thank you,
Mr. Angel Colon