xisto Community
djstarskream

Fire Wire what is fire wire

ok if you like me browse the internet more thatn you breath you probably hear some mention of something calld firewirebut having look'd around the net i cant seem to finde much out about this firewire.so i thaught it a good idea to post a question of what is firewire.apparently what i have lernt so far is that through the use of firewire it can be posible to conect to the internet for free (imagin that never having to pay a isp) well thers the question now hopefully for the answeres.

You have proof on that internet thing because firewire is primarily used to transfer data between computers and other peripherals such as Ipods, digital camera's, and even some USB based peripherals. It is mostly used to transfer very large files and I mean in gigs and not in in megabytes just because of how fast that data can be moved from one device to another (up to 800MB). So it can't be used for the internet persay but many servers do come with it so backups of data can be back up on another server.

firewire is an uber fast version of USB it was made by Apple Inc. and is available on some Dell laptops and all Apple computers, it is used in some camcorders to super quickly transfer the videos to the computer for editing or saving. Posted Image

liitin means input/port

Edited by gamescoper (see edit history)

apparently what i have lernt so far is that through the use of firewire it can be posible to conect to the internet for free (imagin that never having to pay a isp)

No. No matter how you connect to the Internet, somewhere there will be someone paying for that connection. However, IEEE-1394 (a.k.a FireWire) can be used in networking, to link computers and peripherals together, such as networking some computers and a printer. Generally though it isn't used for this.

You will often see external hard drives and camcorders with some form of IEEE-1394 connection as its main use is for rapidly transferring vast amounts of data. Video files on camcorders tend to be quite large, along with files on portable hard drives and hard drive caddies, and therefore it makes more sense to use FireWire to transfer the data.

The big advantage of USB over IEEE-1394, however, is that USB is plug-and-play, while FireWire requires you to turn your PC off and on again to get things connected. This, I believe, is something to do with the power connections shorting to the device and destroying the circuitry if you plug in and out with the power on.

Ahh how could you start this topic without the mac guy (that's me). Yes as it has been said firewire is a connection developed by apple, and no gamescoper, thats not what firewire traditionally looks like. That is the 4 pin version, which is normally found on the peripherals and NOT the computer. The standard now is 6 pin, but it is slowly moving over to firewire 800 which has 9 pins.

Firewire 6-pin:

Posted Image

Firewire 9-pin:

Posted Image

The big advantage of USB over IEEE-1394, however, is that USB is plug-and-play, while FireWire requires you to turn your PC off and on again to get things connected. This, I believe, is something to do with the power connections shorting to the device and destroying the circuitry if you plug in and out with the power on.

Not always. Many devices are hot swappable which means all you need to do is eject them. Most portable harddrives are hot swappable along with many other peripherals. It's mainly the regular harddrives that seem to not like being unplugged while the computer is on.

I knew this post was going to be about the ieee-1394, well atleast I learned that apple developed it. I didnt know that. I think the person who created this post needs to spend more time on the internet to find what firewire is or perhaps he got a little confused. :S

Actually, as long as i know, firewire is used for the data transfer between two devices. It's just like USB but the rate of data transfer is faster than USB. Usually, if you have high volume of data to be transfered to computer system, fire wire is best option. that's why camcorders use firewire. But as for the internet speed. It depends on your connection type and the ISP who defines your bandwidth to get connected to the internet.

ok if you like me browse the internet more thatn you breath you probably hear some mention of something calld firewire
but having look'd around the net i cant seem to finde much out about this firewire.

so i thaught it a good idea to post a question of what is firewire.

apparently what i have lernt so far is that through the use of firewire it can be posible to conect to the internet for free
(imagin that never having to pay a isp)

well thers the question now hopefully for the answeres.

Firewire has a wider throughput to negotiate and sync audio and video in capturing the DV tape from camera to computer. It is common mistake for newbies to use the USB port in the DV camera to get their video clips via USB onto the computer. It is like pushing a monster truck onto an alley. USB is 480 mbps as opposed to Firewire 400 mbps; it is faster but with a narrow throughput. Usually non-linear video editing softwares like the old Ulead and Pinnacle systems would crash or hang while capturing video via USB. Take my word for it. Just add a firewire card for less headache. I have yet to hear how to use firewire port to connect to the internet for FREE!? :o And never having to pay for your ISP? :D I wonder what medication djstarskream is using to get an idea? Is that possible? Wow!

Firewire has a wider throughput to negotiate and sync audio and video in capturing the DV tape from camera to computer. It is common mistake for newbies to use the USB port in the DV camera to get their video clips via USB onto the computer. It is like pushing a monster truck onto an alley. USB is 480 mbps as opposed to Firewire 400 mbps; it is faster but with a narrow throughput. Usually non-linear video editing softwares like the old Ulead and Pinnacle systems would crash or hang while capturing video via USB. Take my word for it. Just add a firewire card for less headache. I have yet to hear how to use firewire port to connect to the internet for FREE!? :o And never having to pay for your ISP? :D I wonder what medication djstarskream is using to get an idea? Is that possible? Wow!

Yeah, I've heard that firewire actually better for video and such, as it gives a more solid signal, whereas USB messes with the data, while giving a higher transfer rate.
That's why you never see cams with USB, it's usually firewire for video editing.

firewire is kind-of-like a superUSB between computers (as said above), yes, theoretically you CAN get internet, but you have to be connected via the internet on one of those two computers. most new laptops will have them. My laptop has an HDMI port (different, but unheard of)

I'm confused as to why firewire is so popular. It seems to me like USB is more widely used, but if it is why would firewire even exist? Does it have higher throughput or something?I even noticed on a lot of external hard drive enclosures it has firewire ports, but I always used usb 2.0 instead. Same with my PC case.

The latest IEEE 1394 standards have a transfer rate of 800Mbps. Compare that to USB 2.0's transfer rate of around 480Mbps and you can see why IEEE 1394 is used for transferring large files, such as from external storage devices or digital video cameras.

Hmmm...If firewire is so much better, why do so many devices still use USB 2.0 then?Is there a downside to it or something? I guess I just don't completely understand the situation. I, for one, have not met anyone in real life that uses firewire. Everyone always uses USB instead, although most people do in fact have the firewire ports on their computers. I always assumed there was just something wrong with using it.