xisto Community
karlosantana

Ubuntu All The Way! I hate ms

After loosing my temper with XP i completely re-installed my pc with...

an operating system called ubuntu Its Really good ive got a plugin called Beryl well i wont explain ill show go to youtube and search "ubuntu beryl" I hope you fall in love with it like i did! i will never turn back!

Anyone worried about compatibility?
Well theres a windows simulator called WINE that you install into ubuntu and you can install aplications for windows in that!

FREE really?
yup :) as shuttleworth (the dude who designed it) gets more and more better, so do his designs he (like me) belives that software should be free and you should donate if you enjoyed it!

Do i like it?
Put it this way every computer i build from now on will have ubuntu installed on it (makes a rude gesture to windows!)

I hope that ammuses you any questions fell free to post back!

Ubuntu Kicks *bottom*

It seems that Ubuntu is a great operating system.But I don't have a fast internet connection and I am thinking to a request a CD of it for free,but is it safe because I have first time seen a company or an individual providing a CD and also its shipment for free.I don't know, but is the delivery safe and would it cost anything extra for shipment.

but is it safe because I have first time seen a company or an individual providing a CD and also its shipment for free.I don't know, but is the delivery safe and would it cost anything extra for shipment.

The entire thing is free and completely safe. I ordered a CD from their ShipIt service when Kubuntu 7.04 was their stable release, and it arrived in around 2 to 3 weeks. It has a nice and simple CD cover.

Yeah, call me old fashioned, but I prefer Windows simply because of compatibility and accessibility. I consider myself moderately knowledgeable on the subject of computers, so I was impressed with how little I knew when I tried to set up a LAMP server for my spare computer. I ended up doing it through windows 2k, which works great, but I've heard so many good things about Linux I wanted to give it a try. Maybe in the future I'll try again when I have someone extremely familiar with the ways of Linux helping me install and prepare.

You have to manually do stuff with programs to make em work, i dont even know what and how lol

Which programs in particular? Also, Google is a huge help for newcomers to Ubuntu if you use it right. Not to mention the huge community eager to help out.

Well actually the compatibility is NO PROBLEM! and the manual thing? well ubuntu has something called "Synaptic Package Manager" which you search for an application (i.e. put in web designer and it will search for it!) and guess what... you don't have to touch the keyboard! it does it Automatically!
Accessibility? haha you've made me laugh unbuntu was built with accessibility in mind so even computer literate people wont have a problem :(

My advice?
Download the live CD test it out work with it before long you'll love it and want to install it! beryl is brilliant however i do need to buy a graphics card :( any recommendations?

but is it safe because I have first time seen a company or an individual providing a CD and also its shipment for free.I don't know, but is the delivery safe and would it cost anything extra for shipment.

well if you want you can pay me to do One for you :( no seriously its real im talking my brother into getting a CD however you could always donate to them :( help them along? :):(
Oh forgot to mention theres a plug-in called wine, which enables you to install windows programs so any programs you do want to keep you could always put it through Wine!
believe me it is an unbelievable Operating System it is so incredible UBUNTU ALL THE WAY!

Some myths.

Shuttleworh designed the ubuntu: >False he is the guy behind the ubuntu operating system for marketing promoting and administration like any other CEO.He is the CEO for canoncal ltd.whose buisness model is ubuntu service and maintenance and coding etc.

Ubuntu is cannoical product> 50% true it includes some proprietory code from canonical /along with docs and staff work on it.50% false cause the OS and software code is based on debain operating system.

Ubuntu is better than XP >True only for those who know the logic behind the computers and internet.Not for those who dont know about comouters other than opening office apps and playing music and movies.For such users windows is still a choice and will.Ubuntu or any linux will not be useful for them,cause there will always be people in the world who have more social IQ than techological IQ.And there will be some guys who have balance of both :) There is lot of contraversy for this just stop advocating any OS.especially Windows.Ubuntu is good but don't force or mention everytime this will deteroite the spirit of free software.let them switch if they want to.

Being ubuntu user from first version of it and official launchpad tester myself.It hurts to clear some myths.But truth is truth.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Not for those who dont know about comouters other than opening office apps and playing music and movies.For such users windows is still a choice and will.Ubuntu or any linux will not be useful for them,cause there will always be people in the world who have more social IQ than techological IQ.

When the hard drive died in the desktop my parents use, I faced a choice of paying ?30 for a new HDD and putting Kubuntu on there, or going in at around ?150 minimum to put XP on it. They were used to XP; it was installed on that computer for over 7 years. However, to them, KDE seemed a lot more intuitive and logical. On Windows they couldn't install software, didn't know how to update Windows, couldn't rip CDs - in fact pretty much all they could do was browse the Internet and use Office. And this is after 7 years of practise at home and at work!

On Kubuntu they've now built up their music collection in Amarok, they can use Adept to install and update software with ease, they can burn CDs and DVDs and they are generally more confident in what they are doing. This is over a period of only a few days! To me that is a testament to how easy to use KDE is.

So mahesh2k where you running out of credits or do you just like to criticize?

Truth is truth

meh so what? shuttleworths name is on it liked or not!

Ubuntu is cannoical product

whether its 50% true or 10% true its still true! and its spelt canonical

Ubuntu is better than XP

HAHA just to let you know its got the same user ability as mac. it is more powerful, it uses your hardware to its best potential! as for the office aps they are no different to xp open office is fantastic not to mention pdf support which oh yer no micrsoft office has ever had! not even 2008!
dude (or dudet) try it (the latest) i was exactly like you about the whole linux thing. 7.10 gutsy gibbon is the latest and best! oh and those peeps who are after free domain names... download the server edition and make your own server
UBUNTU ALL THE WAY!
I've had a good laugh (Jeremy Clarkson style) this post is not meant to cause offence by the way!

I always wanted to switch to linux but I wanted to try vista because it might be a good os. So I buy my first laptop, and because I like my computer to run very fast and be very responsive, I ordered the highest hardware ( T7200 2.0 GHZ and 2GB RAM ), Vista looked nice for the first couple months, but after that it got very slow after I installed a lot of applications, and I couldn't keep it on for more than 5 days before I had to reboot it because it got really slow, not to mention ie and msn messenger kept crashing. So I got sick of it and decided to finally install Linux along side windows and dual boot them. I wanted to go with Fedora because had tried Red Hat before but Fedora 8 didn't install on my laptop, the installer kept freezing tight before anaconda loaded. My next choice was Ubuntu, so I installed that and it was awsome, it added vista on startup so I can choose between both, I didn't even have to use BCDedit, and it runs VERY fast, I finally feel that the price I paid for my laptop was worth it. With Vista I was very disappointed but with Ubuntu I am very happy. Now I just have to find out how to run Dreamweaver on Ubuntu.

Now I just have to find out how to run Dreamweaver on Ubuntu.

There is a guide, using Wine, that should get Dreamweaver running under Ubuntu and all versions based off it (Kubuntu etc.). However, due to a variety of issues there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will actually work. Give it a go and see if it works. If not, there are free alternatives.

Mr. or Miss. or Mrs. karlosantana whoever you are.

Your reply to the thread published sounds more offenesive.But let's clear it up here.

I don't have idea how much you used linux or developed for it.I think u are are just plain user and not developer like me.

I'm using 8 diffrent distros on VMware right now.I've Contributed code to some commercial open source apps.And personally i'm Apple OSX user,I'm not in criticising the Linux or ubuntu.Or advocating windows.And i'm not hanging here for the Credits,i'm paid user of Xisto - Web Hosting.

In fact i'm part of UBuntu ,i'm launchpad tester for ubutnu.

Rvklas>You told here your story how you and your fammily switch to linux.But can i tell u something there are buch of people with high social IQ who don't want to use it as eefectively as many others out there.They just want there work done they don't care for the technology and the computer stuff(We call them Leech,as they use otehr people/internet for there purposeand not appreciate for good things).For them windows provide better solution,i'm not saying it is easy to use than linux or mac.What i say is Windows is useful for so and so users.

Ubuntu is better than XP.

Personally i dont care who is better than who.Its the cycle that industry follow.

Developer>Product

|

User/Organisation

|

Operating system

Say more and more developers use and develop for linux(ubuntu) then normal users(including leeches) use it.And that operating system will have more desktop share,that is the casefor ubuntu.

One more thing i cleared some of the myths here as some guy here posted that ubuntu is created by mark shuttleworth that is plain wrong.Ubuntu kernel is of debian and uses gnome desktop manager and softwares in it are not written by him or canonical employees.On the contrary they are maintained and modified for the ubuntu desktop.Shuttleworth is propmoting use of it,not creating it.Shuttlewoth created it sounds much like sales persons lies or myth,same as many of the forum users spreasing myth like java is outdated and .net is currently most used framework.

Its good to have advicacy and spread wordthing but don't spread myths.it hurts technology than anything else.Sorry for ast type it may have mis typpos.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Ubuntu is better than XP

Both are equally important to me, and there are things I have in XP that there's no way I can run in Ubuntu (DBPro, DeleD, Landscape Creator, most games, ect). I can just pop in Ubuntu and use my 64-bit power to render some 3D stuff a bit faster than I would have in XP and stuff like that. Ubuntu is great but I don't want to ditch XP and have to learn some other language to make programs and games in.
This is a bit off topic, but if anybody here has BlitzMax, could they give me a PM? I'm interested in what it has to offer in Linux.

Ubuntu is good for those who don't game, and want their hand held while using Linux just like in Windows or OS X. However, some people are so stubborn and filled with FUD that giving them Ubuntu would make them go nuts because some things are different from Windows. I do not reccomend getting any Linux operating system if the machine does not have an internet connection. Otherwise, it's rather useless and package management becomes something between pulling teeth and banging your head against the wall. With an internet connection it's better than installing with Windows installation programs since you can install many of them from one source, dependancies are filled, and you can do it in two clicks.However, if you really want to learn Linux, BSD, or UNIX, the best way is to use an operating system which forces you to read the manual, and use a command line after installation. It makes you learn how to actually use a computer instead of letting the computer use you, but not a lot of people care to actually learn how to use their computer properly, unlike their car (well...that's debatable), or their stereo, or their excercise equipment. But then again, only a handful of Linux distros have good documentation to help you understand what everything is for, and even then not all applications have exactly the best documentation (tar comes to mind).But, if you're a gamer, XP is still the best option. Sure, Linux has games, but don't kid yourself: you're not going to get the best games on Linux with the exception of three or four professional games ported unto the the system, compared to the hundreds of great games that Windows can offer you.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)