xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

College Students Create Wooden Car

Yes, it is true. Students at North Carolina State University were able to or are in the process of creating a wooden sports car called the Splinter. No they are not planning on selling it and mass producing it, at least not yet. The initial plan was to just build it to see if it was possible but now that they have achieved success then they may start towards new plans. The car is made for the most part out of wood, even the tires. With a modified V8 engine the heat is reduced as to prevent fire hazards. It is quite amazing the idea let alone the success.

Article:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Pictures:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Wow thats great,a wooden car,its really amazing.I don't knowhow it was made but the students who made it must have done really a lot of hard work.I want to congratulate those students who made this possible.This car is just amazing as most of its parts,even tires are made of wood and I understand about the idea behind having the V8 engine.I just imagine how it would be in future when we all might be driving a wooden car.But For now I am really looking forward for its mass production,this is because I think anyone would want to have a try.But I just imagine what would be its cost.

You know, that's really cool, but what's the point- I'm sure it costs a ton to create, and if you get in an accident, you'll probably be impaled on a huge wooden splinter. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Yeah I dont think its very practical, but the concept was cool. Having a crash in that would end up very nasty with wood splitting and slicing through everyone inside it. I think your actually stepping backwards in time trying to create cars out of wood. Isnt there better materials out there to try and make cars out of.

Actually, if you read the Comments, the solid wood shape the guy is sanding out is merely a form for the Body shape.They will be laminating veneers to the mold (mould?) and changing the direction of the grain on the layers so the wood becomes like a 'composite' layer, which is stronger than solid wood. Plywood uses the same approach of altering the grain to gain strength.I work with wood, and the concept is intriguing to me. Any new concept using wood I find interesting.

Actually, if you read the Comments, the solid wood shape the guy is sanding out is merely a form for the Body shape.They will be laminating veneers to the mold (mould?) and changing the direction of the grain on the layers so the wood becomes like a 'composite' layer, which is stronger than solid wood. Plywood uses the same approach of altering the grain to gain strength.
I work with wood, and the concept is intriguing to me. Any new concept using wood I find interesting.

I believe you when you say that jlhaslip seeing as you are very knowledgeable in that area.

As for the actual idea, for those who worry about the dangers and concept, you have to remember they aren't going to mass produce it at least it isn't planned. It was just an idea to see if it would be successful. I don't think many people would purchase the car to drive in if they were to make it but more for show. Of course it could be revolutionary too but we may not find out.

this is a situation were i would say did you hear about the woooden car with wooden wheels and a wooden engine - It wooden go.good luck i hope by now they are done making it.

this is a situation were i would say did you hear about the woooden car with wooden wheels and a wooden engine - It wooden go.
good luck i hope by now they are done making it.

lol, nice pun.

I don't really see the point of a wooden car. It'd be too easy to fry/catch on fire while driving, not to mention it would be extremely flimsy (consider crashing wood into a wall).